1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Newbee Here

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Ryder99, Feb 9, 2022.

1. PaulDM

PaulDM Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    Both my mk4’s have dinged on startup, probably 1-2 seconds. This indicates that the car is “Ready” to drive.

2. ColoradoBoo

ColoradoBoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yep the dings can drive you batty...."Why did you just ding me?" Last summer, I rolled mine out of the garage to wash her. I left the key fob inside, in the center console. I was washing it and the car began a series of dings....what the heck? Someone in here told me the car does that when it senses water and the fob is inside. (Why? I have no idea) So our "smart car" can turn into a "smart-nice person car"....maybe Stephen King DID help write the manual!
    Off topic: We are originally from Northern Maine and have been to Stephen Kings spooky old Victorian house in Bangor, Maine and I got to meet him way back 1980 at the movie theater when "The Shining" opened.

Ryder99 likes this.
  3. Doug McC

Doug McC Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Congrats on a nice ride. We’ve got the silver metallic version. I will echo the part about reading the manual (in fact it will answer your questions about the ding and about the fan).
    If this is your first hybrid you have a steep learning curve ahead and the suggestion to check out The Car Care Nut on YouTube is worth more than you can possibly imagine. AMD seems to be a pretty straight shooter, not just a company guy.
    Enjoy your ride.

4. Doug McC

Doug McC Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Yep! The manual warns about washing the car and having the smart key close by. I promptly forgot about it the other day while washing the car and apparently drove the system nuts ‘cause when I went to put it back in the garage I had to hold the fob up to the start button before it would start. Guess even reading the manual doesn’t help if I don’t remember what it tells me! LOL

ColoradoBoo likes this.
  5. Ryder99

Ryder99 Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    @Doug McC this is my first hybrid but I am no stranger to high mileage. I had a tdi jetta with 525000 miles on it. I would be upset when the mpg was below 50.

I am glad toyota allows you to turn off all of the nanny stuff.

I need to check the manual to see if there is a way to defeat the adaptive part of the adaptive cruise. The car slows way to subtly for me, ie I don't realize it has slowed down right away.

Doug McC likes this.
  6. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    From "off," it's a long press on the cruise control button instead of just a normal press & release.

Doug McC likes this.