1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Newbie - 1st post seeking thoughts

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Insert name here, Jan 24, 2018.

1. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Absolutely!

2. Insert name here

Insert name here Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This is why in the past when looking at Toyota in the past, I've ended up with Honda or another brand. The Toyota dealer hassle/experience has always been second rate.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    exactly.

4. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My last experience with my local Toyota dealer was low pressure from start to finish. I think that basically they got their way. Lol

I don't like to haggle, if I don't like the deal I leave.

jerrymildred likes this.
  5. pilotgrrl

pilotgrrl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If you don't want to deal with a stealership, try an auto broker. None of that nasty haggling, no extra crap you don't want, etc. Unfortunately, the particular person I used in Colorado retired, but it might be worth checking out of you aren't inclined to go out of state to avoid SE or Gulf States Toyota. Centennial Leasing & Sales, Englewood, CO.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

RCO likes this.
  6. Insert name here

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's tough when you loose a sales person you like.

It's only a "stealership" if the buyer allows them to be. They have a right to try and make as much money as possible, and we as consumers have a right to walk out (as I have been known to do). :)

I really enjoy dealing the the salespeople. It's fun to beat them at their own game. It's really easy - I usually simply email the internet sales manager of all the local dealerships being upfront and telling them I am seeking pricing from all the local dealers and am willing to come in within 24 hours and purchase when I find the best price. I also request a price through Costco, which I use as a starting point. Virtually no hassle.

When I purchased my Honda, they tried to add the "standard Honda accessory package for $900". I said no, that I only wanted a couple of those items, and they accommodated and found me a new car coming in and only added the items I wanted. Easy peasey.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i would say most people are the opposite, and they prey on the elderly, weak, naive and innocent.

RCO likes this.
  8. pilotgrrl

pilotgrrl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    And women. But only once, in my case. And I told everybody and their friends not to go to any of the Lyin' King, Bob Rohrman's, stealerships in Chicago because I felt so abused. And I probably would never consider buying a Honda again, unle$$ there were $ome very good rea$on$ for doing $o.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  10. Insert name here

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So everyone is a victim? Interesting. Didn't realize someone held these people against their will at gun point in the dealership and forced them to sign the contract they didn't want to sign.

And when we say they are prey'd upon, do we mean like they get rounded up in black vans in the dark of night and brought to the dealership and tortured until they relent and buy?

There are plenty of services to help people be less of the poor victims assaulted by every day life. I have mentioned Costco as an example several times. People are responsible for themselves and can take care of themselves. They don't need us to label them victims for everything in life.

QuantumMechanic likes this.
  11. Insert name here

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you stay and allow them to "abuse" you? Or did you act like a consumer and simply walk out and go to a different dealership?

Women can walk out of the dealership just as easily as men. :)

QuantumMechanic likes this.
  12. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Some cautions on using Costco for more than pricing. You specify exactly the trim, options and color you want. Costco will only permit you to purchase it from a dealer that has that car currently in stock according to Costco’s system.
    I decided to forego the discount because Costco insisted my preferred dealer did not have it in stock. I purchased the car from a Gen 1 Prius owner salesman at that dealer. It was in stock with 2 miles on it.

13. Insert name here

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Of course they do. They are specially trained dealers that have to go through Costco training and certification. You can only deal with the Costco certified sales people as Costco wants to try and ensure as great a sales experience as possible.

If the dealer does not consistently provide a great experience, they loose the lucrative Costco edge. I know as I've used Costco several times to purchase. The first time I tried, I had a poor experience with the Costco Salesperson. I called Costco, they sent in an undercover secret shopper, confirmed my issue, and revoked that salesperson Costco accreditation. That was a serious loss in income for that sales person as that dealer does over 75 Costco sales a month.

ETA: You can change trim and even car model completely from what you put on your request form. I have done it twice. It's a very easy pain-free process. I'm not saying it's the best or only way, but that it goes against people crying victim at the dealerships

Prodigyplace likes this.
  14. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Mine is not the case of the dealer crying victim. I initially specced a Corolla and my preferred dealer got the referral. After I changed it to a Prius I knew they had in stock. Costco insisted I needed to use a different dealer to get their discount. In my case I chose to give my business to a known good salesman than to an unknown to save a few bucks.

pjm877, Raytheeagle and jerrymildred like this.
  15. Insert name here

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

100% agree. Sometimes spending a bit more for a great experience/relationship is absolutely worth it. The best price is not always the best VALUE.

pilotgrrl, pjm877, RCO and 2 others like this.
  16. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Shouldn't there be an apostrophe after compatriots ? :rolleyes:

RCO, pilotgrrl and Prodigyplace like this.
  17. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yup :LOL:
    On both sides of the pond.

18. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Something I learned on a senior management course:
    Whenever composing a proposal for review, always, but always leave at least one error to be corrected. It demonstrates vulnerability in the author and alows the reviewer feel appropriately smart.

But apart from that, oops! Fair cop. :D

Raytheeagle, bisco, pilotgrrl and 2 others like this.
  19. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius