1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Newbie - 2010 Prius with P0A80-123

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by jamisteven, Aug 3, 2016.

1. jamisteven

jamisteven New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey guys - been doing some reading here for the past few nights looking for the right route to go with my wifes Prius, car is a 2010, 160k Single owner Prius that recently had the dash message come on displaying to check the hybrid system. From all the reading I have done I have determined the following:

1. Toyota of Murfreesboro TN (local to me) has a brand new battery for 2200 out the door and after a few vids I am confident I can install it myself, have worked on most of my cars myself, turbos, downpipes, oil changes etc, and use to build computer servers in data centers for a living, think im mechanically able, so lets say 2400 with tax and everything if I do the labor myself.

2. Have Memphis Hybrid Restoration come install a "Refurbished" unit, old/new cells that have been "reconditioned", seems like a lot less bang for the buck for about 1200.00 - plenty of people saying these last 6 months, others say 2 years, crapshoot if you ask me. Not a good money well spent scenario although half the price.

3. Wait it out, find a totaled, low mileage (less than 40k) prius on car-part or somewhere local, in the 900 range, and do it myself.

This weekend im gona take the battery out to check the bus bars and make sure no corrosion is visible and causing false flags, will chime in if I find anything.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! how long/miles do you hope to keep her?

3. Tbkilb01

Tbkilb01 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Im probably dealing with the same issue?...2010...160k...and check hybrid system warning... popped up after cleaning cooling fan for the first time (ended up just being dusty, go figure!). I test drove car afterwards and 13 miles into drive the warning pops up. coincidence or just "time" ? Well I'm hoping to keep her for as long as I can. Have other Toyotas and I think they are about the best vehicles. The Previa runs commendably and reliably after 25 years (gas mileage still at 22)..FJ going tough since 2009..Corolla still purrs with 369K. I too am about to check connectors first. I'm debating on replacing bad modules if any, or installing new Toyota batt..a real DIY person, to a point. I'll be following this thread with anticipation. Any helpful threads would be greatly appreciated. I'd really like to know if I can test across modules (while in the car) with a digital multimeter.. to check for bad ones. Thanks in advance.

bisco likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there are lots of battery threads, but mostly gen 2. they should have good info for you though. one excellent one is 'gen II prius individual battery module replacement' by member 'ryousideways'.

#4 bisco, Aug 6, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2016
  5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    My feeling would be to go with battery #1, but: how much would the dealership charge for install? Around $300~400? If they stand behind their work, that's the route I would take, let them shoulder the responsibility, to diagnose, go through the flow charts, check things with Techstream, and so on.

Funny, when I google that code, first link seems to have gotten past the TechInfo paywall:

https://techinfo.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/rm/RM1290U/xhtml/RM0000025AI00QX.html?sisuffix=ff&locale=en&siid=1470506638934