1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Newbie, Antenna / reception issues Stock JBL

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by watershed, Aug 10, 2020.

1. watershed

watershed New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So, I surfed the messages for a bit. But have a weirdness.

2010, stock equipment. I do have Sat, but no Nav, bluetooth etc.

So, I do live in an odd place, have 4-5 Broadcast towers within 1 mile. So, the only station I listen to (91.3Fm Wyso) is completely static or other stations until I get about a mile away from home. No, I'm not going to move. Also, Not going to just plug in my phone, I'm too cheap for that much data. Then it got Weird. I went on a short (Socially Distanced) road trip. I was able to keep stations much longer than with any other radio. So there's that. The other thing is that my 99 S-10 can pull in the station bright and clear (Stripped down stock, former fleet vehicle).

I've seen some things about Tuners with finer tuning levels. I've seen New antennas. I don't want to go to Best Buy Cold (most local car audio are closed permanently). Not sure if this is a $100 annoyance, or a $500 annoyance. And I swore off working on cars, when I bought my 2001 Gen 1. Replacing the antenna scares me, just because of all the panels etc to run the wire.

Any Clues welcome.

2. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    You might try making the vehicle ready, turn on the radio, then step out of the vehicle and unscrew (counter-clockwise looking down) the antenna from the base a little bit. The rubber bits on mast and base are keyed to prevent loosening, and will offer some resistance to unscrewing. See if you get any static or improved reception. If that improves anything then you should remove the antenna mast entirely to check for rust/corrosion. Clean up the threads, and most importantly the rubber parts so they seal against moisture incursion again. A bit of grease on the threads wouldn't hurt either.