1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Newbie at Techstream, HV battery test questions. Results inside

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Skeletor916, Feb 28, 2016.

1. Skeletor916

Skeletor916 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Alright, so I got these results from a car today. I tried to perform the predictive HV battery failure test. This is what I did... I want to know if it looks like I did everything correctly based on this list and some results pictures. Also if the battery looks good. My rudimentary/elementary Techstream knowledge leads me to believe it is in pretty good shape.

The steps I took in really prescriptive order:
    1) Drove it around a bit to get the engine warmed up.
    2) Parked the car
    3) Turned my Techstream laptop on.
    4) Opened Techstream.
    5) Connected my VCI to my laptop
    6) Connected the VCI to the OBD2 port on the Prius
    7) Turned Prius to IG-ON by hitting the power button until it was amber-colored
    8) Hit the Connect button on the Techstream application to connect the computer with the Prius
    9) Selected the Smart Key option once the vehicle was recognized and hit the next button
    10) The system select screen comes up in Techstream, I had all systems selected and clicked the "health check" button
    11) Waited patiently while it checked everything
    12) Health check screen popped up. I double clicked the HV battery system under the list of systems
    (I THINK this is what happened next)
    13) Set Prius into READY mode
    14) Fumbled around like a doofus trying to get Prius into reverse
    15) Waited for internal combustion engine to stop running
    16) Pressed record/trigger button in Techstream on laptop
    17) Applied brake and gas simultaneously for about 6-7 minutes, ignoring the repeated beeping.
    18) At the end of five minutes, ICE had yet to turn on, so I saved that information and quickly pressed record again. Once the ICE kicked on, I stopped the second recording.

This is what I gather from all of that (assuming I did everything correctly)
    A) That the battery is in pretty good shape as the highest difference I spotted among the min block voltage and max block voltage was 0.13v (which seems REALLY low, which is making me think that I did something wrong). The battery has about 90k miles on it.
    B) The 12v battery started the test pretty low at a SoC around 50% and it would be the first thing I replaced due to a c2318 trouble code. It is not a particularly surprising code as the woman told me that she had driven the car about 300 miles in the last 7ish months. It also tossed out that b1421 that everyone says is silly and to ignore because I ran the test at dusk.
    C) Per Art's Automotive predictive battery failure test.... it's a rather good thing that it took about.... 5 and a half minutes of brake+gas for the ICE to kick on.

Any thoughts? How do these test results look to more seasoned eyeballs?
    Untitled 4.png v2 v2 v2.png

Robert Holt likes this.
  2. Skeletor916

Skeletor916 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Nothing? Should I move this somewhere else?

3. jjdemu

jjdemu Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How far down do you press the gas? Thinking of doing this test when wife comes home from work.

4. jjdemu

jjdemu Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I figure it out, must be fully depressed. The one dip you see is when I re-position my foot and it moved back a little bit. Total time before engine started was 10.5 mins give or take. Mileage is 314,400 on original HV battery. Figure let you compare against another one.

hvch1.JPG hvch2.JPG hvch3.JPG

#4 jjdemu, Mar 11, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
  5. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good work...I just got Techstream so you're ahead of me. I did not realize we could do that test, but I did look at the HV battery screen...did not see any specific concern.

6. DRACO

DRACO Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    OP, in your initial screen shot the Max & Min looks great. You have a healthy HV Battery and Temps are good as well.

Come to the Gen1 sub-site ( Gen 2) and we talk in depth about the TIS.

J

BTW, you can customize the tabs to just show what you want to see. SOC, MIN, MAX, TEMPs

Skeletor916 likes this.
  7. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I'm confused. The battery discharges while you step on the gas activating the engine? Your picture says the engine isn't running....

8. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In reverse, generally, the ICE stays shutoff. So "stepping on the gas" increases the current.

9. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    It doesn't stepping on the brake prevent any current from going to the electric motor?

10. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You are right, it is a while since I did it. You have to let the brake pedal off to do this. You can chock the wheels for added safety, and you need to also hold the car with the parking brake, then let the foot brake off and then add a bit of pressure on the accelerator, steady as she goes. If the car moves reset the park brake firmer. You don't need to press the accelerator a lot, just enough to get 10-15 Amps discharge current.