1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Newbie. Bought an '05 & promptly killed it.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Gypsy62, Apr 23, 2018.

1. Gypsy62

Gypsy62 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm a pro soob mechanic.
    This is not a subaru.

I figured a cheap older Prius would get me to finally embrace electric. I've driven over 150k miles on WVO in heavily modified Ford 6.9/7.3 diesels; I loathe petroleum.

I needed a car to haul some AV gear from Reno back to Baja. I decided to buy a Prius, it was time for >40mpgs.

Took the bus over Donner Pass to Sacramento to buy an '05 with 277k miles for $3k. Clean Title. Did street & highway test-drive, all normal.

Again, I'm a subaru mechanic. I know fully well that to buy a vehicle and immediately stress it by ascending a 7,500' mountain pass is NOT advisable.

It handled Donner fairly well. Slowed to 45mph during one extended steep climb. Goofy "Snowflake In Road!" light came on; I stopped and checked for overheating symptoms but all clear (38f outside temp).

NEXT DAY IN RENO, running errands in town:
    - Red Triangle of Death
    - "VDC", or whatever that is.
    - CEL
    However, still ran well. Consumer OBD2 reader showed no codes; however, a shop's pro reader w/hybrid showed all good battery cells, no codes. Shop reset the OBD and adios Triangle/CEL/VDC.

Two hours later, back on.
    I'm not afraid of CELs; on many vehicles they'll phantom-cycle on/off for any # of minor reasons. Some soobs, Reg vs Prem fuel can throw a code.

NEXT DAY, DRIVE SOUTH ON 395:
    - On steep uphill grades, slow to 15mph
    - Up one short stupid-steep hill in TJ, 5mph
    - On downhills, fast, w/occasional "sticky" throttle sensation
    - Confirmed 48mpgs!

It got me and the gear home.
    Not bad, considering.

My opinion:
    Old, small 1.5ltr gas engine is TIRED (rings).
    I did it zero favors by taxing it over a formidable mountain pass. I think it was fine when I bought it in Sac, and the seller seemed genuinely concerned when I reported the CEL the next day.
    The fact the non-hybrid OBD2 showed no codes (unfortunately) does not indicate a control systems malfunction (fuel, ignition, thermal, emissions, etc) but instead suggests worn rings or valves (gutless, but no misfire).

Frankly, if I want to tackle the learning curve of R&Ring an engine in yet another fn vehicle, I can probably have my local awesome MX machine shop rebuild the long block for <$300 P&L.
    Seriously.

Thoughts? Am I ignorant of some magic Prius "reset" button that will make the ouchies go bye-bye???

Please say yes.

But even if "no", thanks in advance for sharing your Prius-specific informed mechanical opinions.

Cheers.

2. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    While the ICE is no doubt a bit tired, the thing that taxes it going up the mountains is a worn out HV battery.

If you want to work on the Prius, you will need a good scan tool and something like VxDiag Nano for Toyota and a cheap laptop will give you the equivalent capability as a Toyota dealer.

Once you can read all the codes, it will be clear what ails it.

As far as R&R on the ICE, used engines are cheap and plentiful, so it cheaper and easier to just do an engine swap.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The goofy snowflake in the road is just an information icon to let you know it's cold outside and to be wary of frozen roads. It has nothing to do with anything else, so have no fear of it.

As mentioned before, you most likely have a weak HV battery/module going bad/etc. Although the engine has many miles, I seriously doubt that is the cause of any of your speed issues. If the rings were bad enough to cause you to slow down like you did, you'd have a smoke screen behind you and you'd have probably seized the engine from not having any oil left. It's the battery.

edthefox5 and Raytheeagle like this.
  4. Gypsy62

Gypsy62 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Many thanks for quick and qualified replies!

I'm guessing that ICE = "Internal Combustion Engine", no? Hybrid-speak learning-curve...
    I guess I had that coming for whipping-out "WVO" on a Prius forum (Waste Veggie Oil).

Yeah, no smokestack so you're likely correct about rings (thanks for the diagnostic reminder).

Frankly, the loss of power felt like the ECU-induced "limp mode" that later-model cars slip into to prevent catastrophic overheating.

Oil level/color both look okay.
    IS THERE TRANS FLUID/DIPSTICK IN THESE?
    Or is the trans just a big honking sealed generator beast (please pardon the technical nomenclature).

PRIUS WORDICTIONARYSAURUS:
    ICE = Internal Combustion Engine
    _____ ?= Electrical Motor
    ______?= Hybrid Transmission

In Reno, the indie shop's hybrid OBD showed ALL good cells with nearly-matching voltage (16.XXvdc if I'm remembering correctly). The attending wrench had recently replaced some cells on another '05 and said that mine were all within spec.

So, Thee of the 'yota Yoda class convene that I need to replace the Electric Motor:
    - Vendor/rebuilder of merit in Socal?
    - Customary part replacement/repair cost?

I will be doing the labor R&R yo mismo.
    Yeah! Wrenching in Mysteryland. Again.
    I Am Too Old For This . . .

Any youtube links for R&Ring this electro-assembly MOST welcome! Please?

Also, now that it (barely) made it back to Ensenada, IF I just want to use the Prius solely for flat, cheap, local driving is this repair even particularly urgent for "urban" efficiency?

I can use my (heavily modified) '05 Liberty CRD for roadnhill trips. Only 25mpg, but those are fun 'n spunky miles...

Thanks again for your generosity!

5. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The fact that you don't mention the state of the hybrid battery usually means that's the problem. You are new to the car and lets be honest best of intentions but clueless. Nothing stresses the Prius Hybrid battery more than a big nice person mountain and will take out a 13 year old battery really really quick.

You are not alone. Countless posters come on here after buying a 10 year old Prius in your case a 13 year old prius for its gas mileage and get boned by the battery. Its the number #1 post here. Its the reason it was sold. By a very nice concerned man lol.

Do not replace anything. Take the hybrid battery out of the back of the car and like hundreds and hundreds of posters here read up on how to diagnose it and repair it. It makes no sense replacing anything if that battery is not working well. Because if you cant handle that technically and financially nothing else matters.

Without a good working hybrid battery the car is worthless.

6. William Redoubt

William Redoubt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There is nothing wrong with the electric motor. Motors don't wear out and lose power like engines do. They just quit.

It's likely the battery. Or some other part of the traction battery system. I wouldn't trust a single diagnosis of the battery pack. You don't know the skill level of the tech, or the issues to look for.

BTW, there are two Motor/Generators in a Prius. MG1 and MG2. They are connected to the ICE via a power split device (which is NOT a CVT). Once you understand how the ICE and MGs work together (and the ingenious simplicity of the system) you will laugh at the crude puzzles of components that power other automobiles.

Think of the dream vehicle that you have: No starter motor, no clutch, no alternator, no serpentine belts, no transmission (see power split device), brakes that last forever because the regenerative system slows the vehicle, electric scroll compressor air conditioning that does not need the ICE, etc.

Keep us posted on your progress. :)

7. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    IS THERE TRANS FLUID/DIPSTICK IN THESE?

No. The transaxle is sealed. Fluid just needs to be changed every now and then (it's a lifetime fluid per Toyota, but typically 60k/100k miles depending on personal preference.

Frankly, the loss of power felt like the ECU-induced "limp mode" that later-model cars slip into to prevent catastrophic overheating

It very well may have been a "limp mode". This will happen depending how bad the battery has degraded. Kind of the same theory about catastrophy.

In Reno, the indie shop's hybrid OBD showed ALL good cells with nearly-matching voltage (16.XXvdc if I'm remembering correctly).

Unfortunately, a static voltage check could mean jacksh*t for a hybrid pack unless a module is seriously gone. An early failing module may not show a voltage problem. I had a module in a customers pack that was arcing out the side and still showed the same voltage as the modules around it. At 16.x volts per block, he's may have been measuring block voltage while it's being charged by the hybrid system. That can cover up a lot of problems.

Before you undertake a significant procedure, we could really give you the best advice if you were able to post the actual DTC codes and any subcodes/freeze frame data from the car. Without real codes, we're just giving you 'most likely' scenarios based of our experience.

8. Gypsy62

Gypsy62 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, folks.

Total modesty here. I have bestowed identical scolds on newbies @ subaruoutbackorg
    ("Sorry, dude: Head Gaskets, not a hose...").
    Have at me.

I did fail to mention another behavior: anytime I tried to compensate for the crawling with "heavy" throttle the car would commence a sustained high-rev, kinda' like a wasted manual clutch or a wasted AT.
    However, if I pulled-over, turned the car completely off and then let it sit for a minute before firing it back up, it seemed to "reset" and drive "normally" (as long as I used the throttle judiciously).
    Thoughts?

Okay, I get the message: Bad Hybrid Battery, or "HV" Battery (= "Hybrid Vehicle", no?).
    Indie tech was saying that the HV Battery is far more than just the actual 28 (14x2 in series) "cells"; it also holsters the ECU and other 'master control functions', true?

So, I can't just follow the pie-easy replacement procedure for HVB cells? Bummer.

I'll endeavor to retrieve the Hybrid-specific OBD codes.

Thanks for answering my question re trans fluid.

And yeah, I agree that the "less-is-more" engineering of these is as fn awesome as it is laudable. And Late.
    Stupid humans, soon extinct.
    To the glee of Dolphins and Border Collies.

Finally, I'm fully aware that I am a lazy schmuck for expecting you fine and generous techs to repeat information that you've assuredly supplied ad nauseum in previous threads.
    Next trip to Ensenada you drink free, deal?

kenoarto and edthefox5 like this.
  9. Gypsy62

Gypsy62 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Okay. Codes. Cool secret handshake!
    01-D5 190-2E-F
    01-D8 1C6-CD-1
    01-D8 190-CD-1
    01-DC 1C6-72-F
    01-DC 190-A8-F
    01-DC -D4-F

I have no clue if these are genuine system-ops codes or simply indicators that your radio presets are assigned to sh^*#y music.

Can I drive this thing around town reliably and efficiently without spinning a socket???

edthefox5 likes this.
  10. Gypsy62

Gypsy62 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    THANKS!
    (hmmm, no post "edit" feature on this site...)

edthefox5 likes this.
  11. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The revving is, once again, indicative of a weak/failing hybrid battery.

You are correct, the codes you're showing, which were probably obtained from the MFD (touch screen display) have nothing to do with real engine/HV system/etc DTCs.

Any questions you have about the battery construction can be answered by YouTube. There are literally HUNDREDS of videos available demonstrating the disassembly of a Prius HV battery

#11 TMR-JWAP, Apr 24, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
  12. Gypsy62

Gypsy62 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks.
    So: how crucial is it to source a "NEW" vs used HV battery? I'm seeing yard batteries for $1100ish at various Socal salvage yards "Only 89k on wrecked donor!" Etc. Whereas truly NEW/Reconditioned appear $3.5kish and up.
    This is a Gen2, no Nav... not a bad car, but frankly I'd rather make her "correct" at minimal expense and contemplate replacing with a low-mile, fair-priced GenIII 4/5.
    Likely at some loss. This '05 is a 7int/6ext, 277k miles, paid $3k + $200new front Bridgestones + $1100HVB = $4.3Kinvested. I'd likely sell in the San Diego area and these jam the Socal market.

At 48mpgs, I like this car just fine.
    However, the dash-mounted shifter leaves the sensation that you're saddled on a 15hp riding mower. Ya' know, the ones with the "Turtle-Bunny" throw-throttle.
    I REALLY prefer the Gen3 move to a conventional shift location. Also looks like there's other worthwhile improvements, too.
    Seeing many '10's w/<100k starting around $7k.
    Very doable.

So, still hoping someone will reveal whether I will still get >40mpgs around town with lame HVB.
    THANKS!

13. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You will probably get around for a while with the lame HV battery, but it won't be any fun and sometime soon the car will stop and you'll have to have it towed. And you never know when or where it'll happen.

I recommend getting reliable diagnostic codes and sub codes with a reader made for the car to verify the problem. There are lots of threads here about that. If it's the battery, I don't think I'd buy a new one for a car that old. Nor would I get a refurbished one, even if I was going to sell it immediately. I couldn't live with myself if I did that to someone. They don't last long. A near-new used battery is probably the best compromise, but make sure it's not one that someone else refurbished. If you want new, the list price from Toyota is now only $1,600 plus installation if you want the full warranty. So a 2015 battery with original cells, should cost substantially less. @2k1Toaster offers a good alternative to the new Toyota, but I don't know what he has in inventory right now.

And hopefully, this will help with some of the acronyms we fling about. ;)
    PriusChat Glossary | PriusChat

Raytheeagle likes this.
  14. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Retail, over the counter price is closer to $2,000.
    Some ships may get wholesale price near $1,600.

Don't forget that these are not fully assembled batteries. Please buy the proper tools to correctly tighten the nuts for HV connections.

iduncan, Raytheeagle and jerrymildred like this.
  15. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks Eric. I was going from memory from what I've read around here. But you actually buy them, so I appreciate the first hand info.

16. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, many use ICE for engine.

The transmission is in a transaxle, combined transmission and differential.
    The buzz word for the combined transmission is Hybrid Synergy Drive, the engine and two Electric motors/generators are connected to a planetary gearset called the Power Split Device
    M/G2 is directly geared to the wheels, when it moves, ithey moves. It is usually a motor driving the wheels. Durring braking it is a generator, charging the High Voltage battery. (There are odd conditions that make it a generator even when cruising)
    M/G1 is the starter and most frequently, the generator. (the odd conditions above use it as a drive motor, a sort of overdrive)

You are always really in D, the shifter emulates the other gears.
    R just rotates M/G2 backwaards.
    N just depowers both M/Gs, try to avoid N as nothing charges in N
    P inserts a pawl in the gears, stops the wheels from turning
    B adds engine braking, for long steep downhills (more than a 600 foot vertical drop) Someone at Toyota was too honest to call it L but you use it like L. The harder you depress the brake pedal, the louder the engine will get, all is well. B keeps the brakes and battery cooler.

#16 JimboPalmer, Apr 24, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
    jerrymildred likes this.
  17. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Oh snap that was really funny thanks for that...

Raytheeagle likes this.
  18. Gypsy62

Gypsy62 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Awesome Vid Links!!!
    Systems now in focus*.
    Many Thanks!

I flash my jeep with an xp-laptop (using a 1302 OBD cable, if memory serves). I'm going to source a "Vx-Diag Nano" download; any advice re links and OBD cable-spec appreciated.
    Thanks!

*Watching the tutorial on the M1/2 PSD assemblies I kept reflecting how you could install this setup on a BOAT's prop-shaft(s) and have sheets of pv panels across the deck/roof for zero-fuel travel. Even if under sail, add knots.

Or even convert a 15hp riding mower, lol.

19. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There is no VXDIAG download or cable. VXDIAG is sold as a complete ready to use module that plugs right into the OBD port and usb's to your laptop. $99 on amazon. Comes with cd. Plug & play W7-10 or XP on a burner laptop.

Make sure its the blue one that says Toyota Techstream. I have one works great. I have the mini vvci too but that sometimes does not connect happily but the VX always does.

This one:

20. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Vx-Diag is really the dongle that you're buying, though it comes with a CD with drivers and some software.

It is an SAE J2534 dongle, and Toyota Techstream in principle can work with any dongle built to that standard. A Tactrix Openport 2.0 will work fine, and you might already have one of those or have heard of it, since it originated in the Subaru / Mitsubishi tuner community.

The Drew Technologies Mongoose Pro is the one Toyota actually tests with and officially supports, but it's pricier.

I would comfortably try just about any diagnosis or troubleshooting with a VxDiag or an Openport, but I might be more cautious about any actual reflashing; I'm pretty confident you'd be able to start, but less confident about getting all the way through and not getting a brick.

Actually got my brake ECU reflashed recently, and I went ahead and paid the dealer to do it; less to worry about that way.

-Chap

SFO and dolj like this.