1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Newbie. Bought an '05 & promptly killed it.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Gypsy62, Apr 23, 2018.

1. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If would say my money is on you did not promptly kill anything.
    This is 13 year old Prius, with 277K miles on it.

You are getting better and more specific advice than I feel I can give you.
    My only suggestion is changing your way of thinking. If you are use to dealing with traditional engines, as a Subaru Mechanic? Well you say you bought the Prius to embrace "electric".
    Keep in mind the vehicle you now own is a Hybrid, not a full electric. There is truth in advertising when Toyota badges Prius with HSD, or Hybrid Synergy Drive.
    That is in short, your ICE is now tied to a integrated Hybrid system that operates with electric motors and the Hybrid Battery.

So when you experience problems? You need to keep in mind The Prius is NOT like regular vehicles. It's not even like a full electric. Sure separate fully mechanical issues can arise with the engine and other parts, BUT the vehicle you own now? Is quite a bit different than a pure ICE vehicle.

jerrymildred likes this.
  2. strawbrad

strawbrad http://minnesotahybridbatteries.com

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Download the free Android apps Hybrid Assistant and it's companion Hybrid Reporter. You'll need a bluetooth OBDII adapter to run them.

That free app shows more battery info than anything else available.

Stimp and Pantelis like this.
  3. prius_deep

prius_deep Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Make sure car battery cooling vent: is installed: not clogged; and cooling fan/blower motor is working.

4. Gypsy62

Gypsy62 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    HV fan is howling. After Donner Pass + 600 miles to Ensenada it now runs constantly when the vehicle's ignition is on. I'll search threads for it's filter info.

And I'll pick-up a bluetooth obd (Go newfangled yout' technology! Sorry; "Youths").

Thank you all for your advice and education re these beasts. I'm going MIA for a few months abroad (Biz&not) and will securely fasten all of these hybrid hemp knots on return.

Tertiary: this Prius purchase just absorbed a sideways added-value impact:
    I flew into Reno and bought it (Sac) to transport some AV gear from NV to MX. Pre-prius in Reno, I also clist-sourced a nice 2-piece leather carry-on set for my pending trip abroad. I just did a thorough inspection of the luggage... JAMMED INTO THE BOTTOM OF AN INTERIOR POCKET WAS A SINGLE, LIVE 9MM ROUND!
    On a carry-on!

THAT would have slightly agitated TSA.
    Just slightly.
    Yes; I subsequently extended my heartfelt "Thanks!" to the clist seller.
    Track your ammo, people!

So, while this Prius may have sacrificed its HVB for the roadtrip it spared me an unforeseeable nightmare at airport security.
    And, excepting the stress of whether the car would survive, it was a lovely drive down 395.
    And 48mpg's!

I will make mechanical mends on the rebound and report.
    Cheers.

5. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Have a great trip, @Gypsy62. And I'm sure glad you found that live round before TSA did!! Holy crapoly!! Did you tell the seller?

6. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There is no filter on Gen2 HV Batt cooling fan, so the fan itself gets clogged and could be part of the problem.

7. prius_deep

prius_deep Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  8. Gypsy62

Gypsy62 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This weekend I'm buying/installing a $750 2-year warrantied HV from a Socal vendor.
    We shall see...

Related, are there any tertiary maintenance procedures that are recommended when replacing the HV?

I was pleased to experience how easy the HV removal procedure is! Great web guides abound. Hopefully, the replacement will mirror that pleasure.

Weak link; I can see how the tin plate that fits between the HV and the upper/lower vent ducts could malign and cause an airflow snafu.

There were a couple of interior trim bolts missing so it's obvious that the PO was messing with the HV. Fan looks new, so maybe they replaced that in order to limp it out the door with a spent HV to a sucker like me.

If all is well post-op, I may be off on yet another North American transcontinental roadtrip.
    The stock seats are insufferable. Any threads on high-comfort, low-fatigue replacements requiring minimal mounting bracket modification?

Cheers

9. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You would likely want to regularly balance it if you want it to last.
    I suppose you could wait until after the warranty is up.
    Please report back every 6 months to update us in the pack. (That's only 4 posts during the warranty period.) Inquiring minds would like to hear the results.

Quick question, did you guess at the tightness for the high voltage relay connections, or use an inch pound toqye wrench to tight to factory spec? If not the latter, you might want to take a quick moment to jump back in there to take care of things.

10. Gypsy62

Gypsy62 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I rendez-vous'd with the HV vendor from LA in SD Friday. Snuck the HV over the border without getting dinged by the Doana, and installed Saturday morning.

Success!
    For five minutes of post--op idle and a half-block of travel, all Triangles and CELs silent.

Then, not so much. So... I'm not going to belabor the details but:
    - Delayed arrival of replacement CreditCard =
    VX diag cable/program online-purchase delayed;
    - No Toyota Stealership in Ensenada = no techstream pinpoint. TJ Toy dealer @ 90 klicks and a few hills of 5mph-prius climbs = highly unappealling;
    - The only local indie shop with known hybrid diagnostics was gone north for a week.
    - I was impatient and wanted this corrected now, so I flipped for the HV without prior diagnostic confirmation. Dag-blasted caffeine!

For road-test, although I did reconnect all wiring and fan-ducts (duh), I did NOT re-install all peripheral trim and rear seatbacks. Is there any reason that crap would impact the road-test results?
    Didn't think so.

Asking the right questions... :
    - Symptomatically, is it a diagnostic "tell" that if the codes are cleared it can be driven normally for (maybe) 30 seconds before reverting to "limp"?
    Or can that be a symptom of anything from the HV battery to "Danger: Skunk in Road!"
    - This morning the "(hybrid) diagnostic guy" was back in town. I rode with him while he used a tablet reader to monitor real-time readings/values.
    He declared a bad HV battery. I wasn't able to see what he was viewing on the screen, and with the language barrier (in their country=my fault, but improving) I couldn't ask detailed questions.
    On the "trust scale" I give his opinion a 6. Nothing personal, but without being certain whether he has techstream (subscription? Update vintage?) installed on his tablet I can't feel confident in the accuracy of his data. $17 charge, little lost.
    - There's another guy here with a reputation for advanced diagnostics. Tonight, I'll burrow deeper into 'Hybrid Systems Espanol' and be better prepared to get a more detailed response tomorrow.

Presuming he has a reader setup with Techstream installed, when I stick my nose into the readings what precisely am I looking for?
    Does T-stream scream "Hey, Stupid! The problem is your:
    - HV Battery!
    - Synergy Drive!
    - Drive-Beast #1 !
    - Drive-Beast #2 !
    - Etc ! "
    Or is it a set of codes that you have to develop in a darkroom using wolfsbane during a full-moon?
    (I'm down with that, if necessary...)

Finally, what are the odds that the first diagnostic guy is correct, and that the LA vendor (knowingly?) sold me a $750 upscale anchor? Has ANYBODY ever bought a replacement HV that was DOA???

FTR, I did warn the guy that if he screwed me that I'd post his company name, personal name and cell # here on PC. He replied that he frequently visits here. Until I've definitively diagnosed the problem I won't assume the guy is a crook. Obviously, on an 05 with 251k other components could be responsible. And if he did sell me a dead HV, I'll give him a chance to 'make good'. That wouldn't forgive him for wasting my time, money and trust but it would signal at least baseline integrity. And if THAT battery lasts the declared 3-years, then all would be forgiven(ish).

All input welcome.
    Actually, Cherished like a newborn.
    Border Collie.

11. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you call him and you get his voice mail, that would be a bad sign

12. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Seen rebuilt batteries code shortly after installation from all kinds of vendors.

Time will tell how your guy responds.

Try to see block volatge max/min. Difference between him guest and lowest should be minimal. Less than a few tenths of a volt.
    If he does health check take a pic of result screen.

13. Gypsy62

Gypsy62 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    At purchase, Vendor and I gabbed for at least an hour. They said that if it turned out to be a non-HV problem that they also supply other major components. 12 year-old company, sell mainly on Ebay: $500 w/6-month warranty, $600 w/1-year, $750 w/2-year. He openly said that their batteries typically last 3 years. He also said that they pre-balance the modules.

I'll stop referring to the VXdiag nano as a cable & program. Been gone a few months and still powering-up back into this quackmire.
    As prii go, I'm the quack.

Cheers

14. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I doubt any rebuild goes 3 years right now.

15. Gypsy62

Gypsy62 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    And many thanks for your speedy replies!

16. Gypsy62

Gypsy62 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Update:
    I just SPOKE with Aaron (Eron?). We walked through some basics, which I'd like to bounce off the brain-trust:
    - If the display is showing "5 bars" at ICE idle, does that automatically signify a "good HV battery"?
    - If, while ICE idling only, that reading increases to 6 bars, does that signify a good/bad synergy drive or possibly other components/wiring/connectors?

Anyway, he has offered to swap-in the HV I've purchased into another vehicle. If it is bad, he'll give me the HV out of his personal prius. If it's good, he'll sell me a complete replacement synergy unit for $250. He quoted $175 to install the synergy, but I'm not going to attempt driving this to LA from Ensenada. And I wrench.

How difficult is a synergy R&R?
    It only took me about 40 minutes to remove the HV, including peripherals.
    Next time I could drink an extra cup of joe and do it in 20. I dont know where these labor estimates in "hours" are coming from... and the HV only weighs what, 85 pounds? Some vids & posts seem to imply twice that. Granted, access is somewhat awkward but squatting under the hatchback I found it a very easy lift (Lift Smart). It beats the hell out of wrestling a C6 out from under an F350 in the dirt or snow. Yup.

I'm still procuring the VXdiag nano. Soon.

Will that DEFINITIVELY diagnose a bad Synergy?
    Meaning, would I wait the additional 3 weeks for its delivery to 100% confirm a bad Synergy before dropping $250 on a replacement?
    Kinda' a rhetorical question, no?

Sorry. I meant to say why "wouldN'T" I wait and confirm using VXDiag...

Anyway, any further diagnostic advice and/or counsel on Synergy R&R greatly appreciated.

17. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That by itself doesn't signify anything except the state of charge of the battery. It basically means the battery isn't dead. It says nothing about how well it's working.

Which part of the Synergy drive? Toyota’s Hybrid Synergy Drive system is comprised of six primary components: a gas engine, an electric motor, an electric generator, the power control unit, and a power split device (what we usually call a transaxle) that uses a special type of gearbox to smoothly distribute power from the engine, motor and generator.

That would be a HUGE job to replace all that.

JC91006 likes this.
  18. Gypsy62

Gypsy62 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Definitely does not involve R&Ring the ICE.

I think he intoned maybe max 3-hours total time for R&R. Are the MG1/2 and PSD all components in a single assembly? "Inverter"?

I honestly have no idea which specific component of the electric-drive the vendor is steering me towards replacing. I was under the impression that all the major components could be removed together as an assembly; now, I guess not.

Excluding the HV battery, which of the other major electric-drive components typically fail sooner and/or more frequently?

I'm having another tablet-diagnostic performed locally tomorrow. He insisted he can pinpoint the problem. We'll see.

Thanks!

19. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The MGs are inside the transaxel which is also called the PSD (power splitter device). Failures are exceedingly rare, but have happened. Sometimes a seal or bearing can fail, but usually, from what I've read, it's a failure in the winding insulation in MG1 or MG2. Replasing the PSD would probably take at least two days for someone who really knew what they were doing.

The inverter takes power generated by the MGs during coasting or braking and feeds it to the HV battery. Or it takes power from the battery and feeds it to MG1 to start the engine or MG2 to propel the car. You can see the inverter when you open the hood. Here it is on a Gen 2:
    342433051_max.jpg

The inverter is probably the most common expensive failure other than the HV battery. Actually, the coolant pump for the inverter fails more often, but it's cheap if you replace it before the inverter overheats.

It sounds like he thinks it's the inverter, but I haven't read anything yet to tell me he's not just guessing.

20. Gypsy62

Gypsy62 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Pending accurate diagnostics, is $250 fair for a used inverter?

Two days to R&R a PSD assembly, as in 8-hours to remove and 8-hours to replace?
    Wow! Presuming pro tools and experienced mechanic, that seems like a LOT of labor for any single R&R procedure!

Thanks