1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Newbie charging-cable questions

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Electric Charge, Sep 25, 2012.

1. Electric Charge

Electric Charge Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Couple of simple questions really, hopefully I'm not too annoying :)
    1. Do you guys put the OEM charging cable back in the car when you get ready for work, or did you buy a 2nd one to keep in the car?
    2. I assume most charging stations are equipped with a charging cable already?
    3. Crazy idea: I have 2 different circuits in my garage, 1 on each phase. Is there such thing as charging cable which can use 2 outlets on different phases to charge the car (to simulate the $1k 220V charger)? I'm guessing it might be an NEC/UL violation, but figured I'd ask, since people have been plugging in their Prius with aftermarket upgrades for years.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    1) a second cable is very expensive.

2)charging stations are equipped with cables.

3) 240v is only the first step in quick charging. you can't do it with the stock cable. you either have to buy a charging unit or build one as jimbo is doing in another thread. there is a product on the market that will plug into your two outlets tho. i can't remember where i saw it, perhaps someone can point you to it.

3. ryogajyc

ryogajyc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
  4. Electric Charge

Electric Charge Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Which charging station did you get? I like the idea, it would even add value to the home when trying to resell.

5. devprius

devprius /dev/geek

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You should figure on spending at least $1000 - $1500 to get an L2 (240V) station installed at home. Some of the units include installation services as part of the price, while others are "parts only" and you have to get an electrical contractor to do the install. I ended up with a Nissan-branded Aeroenvironment EVSE-RS unit. The time savings has been worth it for me. I leave the L1 (120V) EVSE in the car for when I'm charging away from home (mostly at work). It's way more capacity than I need (it can put out 7.2 kW, but the PiP only pulls 2.32 kW), but it is future proofing the house.

6. ryogajyc

ryogajyc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Leviton 240V 32A. I specified a plug installation, so that I could easily take it with me if I move.