1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Newbie charging questions

Discussion in 'Prime Plug-in Charging' started by wrenwren8, Dec 15, 2017.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    can't, after a misstep like that.:oops:

Prodigyplace likes this.
  2. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not having a Prime myself I thought the MFD was stuck on AC. Not the small MID beside the speedo.

Obviously the sales critter did not properly demonstrate the car.

3. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Hint:
    The display on the right is different when you've shifted to Drive.

If you're in Park, and you play with the steering wheel buttons to try to change the right display, you'll never see the display as pictured in the second post on page one of this thread.

Also, your trim level won't have the heads up display (HUD) on the windshield.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  4. wrenwren8

wrenwren8 New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Thanks for all the great info. I did manage to find the simple/split screen section which allows me to see some kind of meter immediately to the right of the speedometer. I am used to my old prius and how easy it was to see how charged up the battery is. Although I drive it 20 miles one way to work, it still displays a message that I do not have enough battery when I push either ev or hv/ev buttons. I have not yet plugged it in to charge so perhaps that is it. I think I need to study/read more to fully understand what I am seeing on these displays and what the messages mean. I appreciate the responses you have given.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, that is it. congratulations, you bought a plug in car, you have to plug it in, or not.:)

6. MNdriver

MNdriver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It would be great if you could find someone (maybe through this forum?) who is willing to spend 20 minutes with you going through the basics. When I got my car I set out to learn one thing each day. After about a month, I mastered just a fraction of the functionality but I knew as much as I needed for my driving habits.

7. wrenwren8

wrenwren8 New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I have been flipping through screens and reading. This car is so very different than my old one. I wish the dealer had taken the time to do more than just show me how to turn on the headlights and remind me that they are not automatic, like my old car. lol

Prodigyplace likes this.
  8. Mark57

Mark57 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Chances are that the sales guy knew about as much about it or even less then you did. I know the manuals are massive, but they will help if you do read them. Try to pick a new thing every day. Otherwise it can be a bit overwhelming. I downloaded then manuals in PDF format so I can do searches. It a very fast way to find things.

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I went from a first generation 5D (digital single lens reflex camera) to a 5DIII. The first camera had menu, but you could scroll the full menu with one wheel, whereas the second had the complexity of a family tree, tons of rabbit holes, and 3 controls (wheels, buttons, toggles) needed to fast-track between all the permutations.

With the first camera, I could comfortably recall what was in there, find it. With the second, it was hopeless: I always needed the manual to help, and even then it was a struggle. Remembering the number of options, and where they were squirrelled away, in the myriad sub-categories, far exceeds my poor brain cells.

Anyway, our 2010 Touring? Doesn't have a screen, lol.

10. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  11. chenderson2

chenderson2 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The headlights ARE automatic - if you set them that way.

12. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Are you sure about the Prius Prime Plus? I know the Prius Two does not have automatic headlights.

EDIT: I just checked Toyota's site The Plus has auto off (not auto on/off) headlights just like the Trim Two.

13. Dudley1030

Dudley1030 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    If this is the smaller screen up on the dash to the right of the speedometer: You may have used the selection button on the steering wheel. (middle of the arrows). If the selection button was pushed, it may not allow you to use some of the arrow buttons, it is wanting a different entry. So, push the middle button. It may get you back to the point that the arrow buttons will work. The screen on the upper dash has a dot at the bottom of the screen when the section button is a choice.
    As far as the screen showing the climate settings only: If this is on the large iPad size screen, use the back button towards the upper right side of that portion of the screen to go back.
    If you are still having problems after reading the manuals, check back with the dealer. Most of them will be happy to give you a lesson on the cars functions! ...if they know how they work themselves!!

14. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If the steering wheel buttons do not appear to be changing the screen, it is possible there could be a hardware issue. A flexible part called the "clockspring" connects the switches and airbags to the rest of the electronic systems. Although they generally fail on older cars, it might be worth getting the situation checked out at the dealer.

15. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Welcome aboard the Prius Prime Owner’s Club!

It is a complex car, but bear in mind that you don’t have to deal with the complexity of you don’t want to. Really all you have to do is:
    - Drive it when you need it,
    - Plug it in when you can, and
    - Fill it up when the tank runs out,
    and the computer does a good job taking care of the details.

However, if you want to be a Prius-Prime enthusiast, maximizing efficiency and EV usage, then Welcome aboard the Prius Prime Enthusiast Club!

iPhone ? Pro

#35 mr88cet, Jan 23, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
  16. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Indeed, although, just for the record, technically, it will be full minus a 10-15% margin for battery-life preservation.

iPhone ? Pro

#36 mr88cet, Jan 23, 2018
    Salamander_King likes this.
  17. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Since we have a gas dryer now, I installed a Clipper Creek LCS-30P level-2 Charger in our garage. An electrician capped off the NEMA-10 (I think it was) in the laundry room, routed the wires to the other side of the wall in the garage.

Having a Level-2 (240V) charger considerably improves our %EV usage, especially on weekends. I come back from the rowing club and can charge it back up in time to get to the grocery store. Or charge it up after work, while I eat dinner, to run some evening errands.

Austin TX, and undoubtedly other cities, has lots of nice EV perks, like rebates for installing a level-2 charger, and especially awesomely, a $50/year “all you can charge buffet” at the ChargePoint chargers around town.

iPhone ? Pro

#37 mr88cet, Jan 23, 2018
    Dxta and Team ChargePoint like this.
  18. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    (Ignore this. Dang! Accidentally replied to myself instead of editing...)

19. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I noticed that ChargePoint “liked” my comment here. Just thought it might be worth adding that I was originally considering getting ChargePoint’s 30A charger, but it turns out that you’re not allowed to put more than a 24A charger on the usual 30A dryer circuit (or at least 24A/30A is the usual here in Austin).

In the case of the P.Prime in particular though, it doesn’t make much difference since its charger is 16A.

Since this is a “newbie” question, I’ll mention that these “chargers” aren’t really chargers after all. The actual battery-charging hardware is in the car itself. What we colloquially call chargers are more-correctly called EVSEs (I think that stands for Electric Vehicle Service Elements, IIRC) and they’re essentially ultra-safe extension cords, piping AC down into the actual charger inside the car, after negotiating current limits and such.

iPad ? Pro

#39 mr88cet, Jan 23, 2018
    CraigM and Prodigyplace like this.
  20. Glenn G

Glenn G Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    mr88cet

Is your avatar is a Sub Contra Bassoon?

This is an old thread so I don't think I'm hi-jacking it.