1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Newbie feels "floating" sensation at high speeds

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by EDP, Jan 16, 2011.

1. nicoj36

nicoj36 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It's an economy car so it will definitely have less performance and handling than most other cars.

2. solrunner

solrunner Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I actually liked the floating feeling, especially on a new smooth highway in my area. Felt like I was flying or gliding.

I ran the tires at 44/42 and ended up going on a 15 or so mile dirt road on a camping trip and that ruined the ride quality. Feeling every bump and crack now. So I am going to replace the dampers (shocks and struts).

Ordered Koni FSD dampers plus strut mounts. They apparently improve handling and absorb bumps and rough roads better than the stock dampers. We'll see if they have the floaty feel or a more connected feel.

3. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    I run 44f/42r on my 2015 persona w/ the stock 17"s without issue. Feels very planted.

I run a couple pounds less on my wife's v three just so the ride is not a jarring for her.

When I had my 2013 three liftback I ran 48f/46r. Almost maxed and again w/o any issues.

4. zzrguy

zzrguy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just got a 2015 and I was wonder about t h e rear sway bar. I don't notice any floaty feeling but then my other car is a Tundra so maybe that the reason.

5. PriusDadNoob

PriusDadNoob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I realize this is an old thread, but I wanted to share my experience. I have the same feeling in my generation to Prius 2008 model model and I use text stream and I zero point reset the power steering and the problem disappeared. The only trouble is it came back a few weeks later Now I’m trying to figure out if it’s the power steering module or the power steering motor but it’s definitely loose speed as in there is too much power steering assistance when I’m on the highway