1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Newbie from UK, Buying Advice

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Coedy, May 11, 2018.

1. Coedy

Coedy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi everyone,

I'm looking at replacing my 04 VW Bora (Jetta in the states) with ideally a Prius.
    I've found a 06 t spirit with leather and 100k miles for £4000. Would you say this is a good deal?
    But being in the UK, I'm wondering if cooler climates have a negative effect on batteries? I see a lot of talk on here focused on the US saying that batteries are generally safe up to 150k, but I'm aware that the US is a lot warmer!

Is there anything to look for when buying it other than full service history? (It has this)
    I know I'll have to factor in a CVT fluid change once I get one, so that's something to factor in but is there anything else that I should look at?

I've looked at previous mot records and is mainly tyre and windshield wiper advisories, as well as exgaexh being replaced previously. So I'm not concerned about that side of things, it also has 10months existing MOT.

Looking forward to hearing toss and opinions. I may go visit the dealer next week if I only read good things here!

2. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It sounds a bit expensive for a '06, unless you can see evidence of a Toyota new HV battery being fitted. Otherwise it should be more like £2500, IMHO
    Quite the opposite actually, cooler is better for the HV battery. More concerning if it hasn't been driven regularly.
    ???

FSH is good. Does it show anything other than oil changes, brakes, tyres, etc?

Can you get any type of history check report, like is it stolen, have money owing, odometer history, etc?

3. Coedy

Coedy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the reply. The only Prius's I can find in the uk that are around £2500 are around the 200,000 mile Mark and usually not T-Spirit?

Good to know that cooler is better! I thought maybe it would have some form of battery warmer that would be living in all the time (I knew it has a fan to cool, so just assumed it would have some form of warmer too).

That was meant to say exhaust, I've no idea why my auto correct didn't fix it lol. I've not seen the service history myself yet (the car is 150 miles away) but I assume it's just the recommended servicing. I only know about the exhaust as I checked the previous mot listing online.

It's hpi clear, not stolen, no finance etc, I checked that already and I've gotten access to previous MOT tests, which mainly show tyres needing replacing. It also shows that the previous owners armed to be putting on around 8k miles a year, which is roughly what I currently do anyway.

#3 Coedy, May 12, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2018
  4. Coedy

Coedy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Also, does the Gen 2 have isofix child seat mounts?

5. Nozzavtr

Nozzavtr Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    it does come with Isofix fixing points, but you will need to check if your current child seat is compatible. As per the car you're thinking of buying, back in 2014 I paid £5,200 for a 91,000 mile 2008 T4 Prius, have a look on Autotrader or even Pistonheads, mines on 120,000 miles and no issues (touch wood) with the original battery. When you do buy one I would get it serviced at a main dealer, they are reasonably priced nowadays to be fair.

Coedy likes this.
  6. Coedy

Coedy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's great to know, send reasonably priced then! Also good to know about your mileage and battery state!
    I thought isofix was IsoFix and it was universal? If not I'll need to do some digging... The little one is going to outgrow hers soon so I'll need to get a new seat, but sounds like I'll need to check the car as well as the seat! Thought this would be easy because my current car doesn't have IsoFix!

Got any tips of things to double check? Common faults? I plan on phoning the dealer Monday.