1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Newbie here, bought rims/tires, OMG, what a mistake

Discussion in 'Prius c Accessories and Modifications' started by Boatycall, Oct 29, 2012.

1. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The links to the original articles with the test results appear to be dead, but I did read them a year or so ago. The tests were poorly done with changes in tires and diameters seriously coloring the results. Adding a lb to the outside diameter of a tire will have the the same affect in acceleration than adding 2 lbs to a non rotating part of the car. Since the added mass isn't at the outside diameter of the tire, the real effect is less than 2x the added mass. Doesn't matter what some poorly done test shows.

At least the initial articles author differentiated between rotational inertia and unsprung weight which put him ahead of most people opining on the subject.

2. FastZX6R

FastZX6R Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Yes those are the stock tires.

3. Simonquani

Simonquani New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    20130416_121757[1].jpg
    Just got these Motegi MR121s for my Summer Rain Prius C. 15 x 6.5. No mileage hit as far as I can tell, will post better results soon

DriverA likes this.
  4. xraydoug

xraydoug Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    has anyone tried switching to a 14" honda wheel with 195-70 tires will the 14 clear the brake ect.. on prius c?

5. bossC

bossC Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I actually run 17" on my car and average about 47-52 mpg. I will get specifics on the tire specs today.

6. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's decent mpg's for runnin 17's ;)

Mike

Mobile on my SGH-i717 now Free

7. Jacob Wilson

Jacob Wilson Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    What are the tires Toyota uses on their stock 16" wheels?
    Can't we just slap those on lighter wheels for less mpg loss?

8. CraigB

CraigB Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    ^Not sure what brand they use, but they are not LLR. I'm running 195/50 Continental Extreme Contact DWS' on my 16's that weigh 14lbs (before tires) and getting 48 average with my bad habits. Tires in this size are slim pickings, that's for damn sure.

9. Jacob Wilson

Jacob Wilson Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Regardless of if they're advertised or have a LRR, if Toyota can claim the same MPG as the stock 15" on their stock 16", and our best bet with 15s is to stick with stock tires, then should we upgrade, wouldn't it make sense to stick with Toyota stock tires as well?
    The only feasible different would be in losing the hubcap for aerodynamics but also losing a few pounds from the steel to alloy wheels.

10. flotowngtm

flotowngtm Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Just wanted to say that the EPA does not test every version of a single car. They dont have to, more then likely Toyota gave them the best lightest version of the C just as all manufactures do when getting there vehicles tested. Thats why you see so many vehicle variants with the same EPA info on the sticker. My Harley Davidson F-150 is a prime example of that with its huge 22" wheels and AWD system... I dont get even close to the regular F-150's

11. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My Plus Performance Liftback struggles to get 50 sumthin mpg's. I don't care though as it's more of a novelty car for me as I drive rentals in my travels.

Mike

12. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Toyota is usually good about that though. They would rather full disclosure. Their Toyota X-runner is a prime example, while it has the same engine and only different cosmetics and suspension, they have it with different MPGs than the standard Tacoma.

13. xraydoug

xraydoug Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    both hybrids I have the 12 hycam and 13 prius c, get above epa. the hycam has 17" wheels with 55 series tires. both cars are ran on e10 87 octane fuel. I will admit the prius c with the smaller wheels gets far above epa while the camry with 17s only a little above epa.

14. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I'm wondering if they did their testing in the winter time. :D That's the only time I get EPA on a tank.

15. CraigB

CraigB Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    But, but...what if you put the C in the trunk of the Camery, wouldn't that be like nitrous boost and double down on your fuelly? Of course the trunk monkey would have to be relocated to fit the C in there. :D