1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Newbie here buying a 2002 w/ 168,000 miles & scared

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Lorilafs3, Sep 14, 2017.

1. Lorilafs3

Lorilafs3 New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just put a down payment on a 2002 Prius that seller wants $2000 for after he does some work. He's replacing rear brakes and tires, struts (it sounds like haunted house steps going around corners!), fixing the air conditioner and complete detailing. I know nothing about hybrids, but my son said old hybrids are known to have large battery problems which are expensive to fix. Is that true? Also I noticed some rust at the tip of the hood and a little under the hood (clamps) that he is not attending to and a crack in the rear bumper he isn't fixing. I'm more concerned about the mechanical stability of this car than how it looks. I also ran the VIN and there are 72 recall/service notices on this car! I can't tell if they have or have not been done. If I call a local Toyota dealer and give them the VIN will they be able to tell me?
    I have no money to fix anything in the near future. I also will be transporting my 96 yr old Mom in it. I am 64 and disabled. Am I buying a headache or joyride??!! Thanks for your help!

2. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you go to Toyota's owners site and enter the VIN they should be able to tell you all service that was performed by a dealer.

You have what we call a Generation 1 Prius. The forum is here.

Generation 1 Prius Discussion | PriusChat

#2 Prodigyplace, Sep 14, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
    RCO likes this.
  3. Lorilafs3

Lorilafs3 New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks so much!

RCO and Prodigyplace like this.
  4. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Personally I would not buy a Gen1. Gen 2 (2004/up) and newer, so much better, and have more support.

m.wynn and Prodigyplace like this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    headache, please try and get your deposit back. you should look for an old corolla or other similar small car. all the best!(y)

m.wynn, RCO and Prodigyplace like this.
  6. jastidy

jastidy New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----UK----
    Newbie here just wondering if these VINs only work in the US, or should I be able to get one for a Toyota in a different country?

7. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It looks like you could check here for recalls.
    Recall Checker | Owners | Toyota UK

If you scroll down, you can check the service history here.
    Manage My Toyota | Toyota UK

RCO and bisco like this.
  8. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've used it in UK and it worked fine

9. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Headache.

As bisco said, look for an older non hybrid Toyota.

m.wynn and RCO like this.
  10. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you haven't even done the deal, and you are already scared? Then it's not a good deal for you.
    And as you explain your situation, I'd reluctantly have to say, it doesn't sound like a good situation to put yourself into.

Nothing personal because I give this advice to EVERYONE that asks about buying a older Prius on a budget, but the admission that you have " No money to fix anything in the near future", would really just cement the idea to me that it's not a good idea.

I'm OK sometimes with someone who A: Either wants a project and doesn't mind future repair work or B: Has the money to support any needed future repairs,- buying an older high mileage Prius. But if the purchase itself puts you against the wall?

I would invest into something simpler, and HOPEFULLY newer and in better shape.

Prius are IMO good, well built reliable machines. BUT there is no way to change the reality. You'd be buying a 15 year old one, with nearly 170,000 miles on it.
    Without ability to face the worst case, or even the "probable" maintenance and repair issues likely to develop? I wouldn't make the deal.

m.wynn, WilDavis and RCO like this.
  11. Lorilafs3

Lorilafs3 New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Update: I called Toyota and they ran the vin. 2 recalls both repaired in 2005 and 2012. He, the service mgr said it appeared the car had 2 owners and most of regular maintenance was done. I explained my situation and asked if he thought it was a good deal price wise and mechanically. He said it sounded like it but he need to look at to the tune of $130. I can't even insure til next month! I already gave the seller $1000 and he's begun repairs. The car is extremely clean inside before detailing. Am i wrong to assume it was properly cared for and at 145000 (correction)? We all have a little rust under the hood with age right? Am i gullible stupid naive or all 3?

12. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Seems like you didn't run a carfax and you didn't have a trusted independent mechanic check it out. And you already paid $1000. Do you owe another $2000? Are you leaning towards keeping it, or are you trying to get out of the purchase?

Here is the kbb value for the car in your area.

RCO likes this.
  13. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I stand by my original post.
    But if you can't get out of the deal? The $1000 non-refundable? Then I would tell you Prius are well built machines and sincerely wish you the best of luck.

No used car deal comes without risk.

RCO likes this.
  14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    cared for isn't the issue, age, mileage and the fact that it's a gen 1 are the issues.

if you can't get your money back, you will have to decide between losing a thousand now, or spending thousands later.

RCO and Prodigyplace like this.
  15. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That's why I'm not sure if the $1000 was the down payment, with the balance of $1000 due later. Or if the OP hired him to do $1000 worth of repairs repairs on his car before she gives him the $2000 for the Prius.

If it's the former, then you're locked in, imo. And hope for the best.

RCO likes this.
  16. PriusFruit

PriusFruit Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I would think in taking it to a local mechanic, preferably one that has a high rating on Google or Yelp, and ask them to do an inspection. It will cost you money, but it is better than not doing it and finding a $$$$ problem down the line.

17. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That may help some but with a car of this age expensive things can fail suddenly with little or no notice.

RCO likes this.
  18. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Nobody knows for sure.
    But the odds of this turning out bad for you are very high.......in my opinion.
    Maybe I shouldn't have said that because with the "down payment" that you already made, the car probably is yours already.
    I hope it works out good for you.
    Try not to fret over things that may never happen.

RCO likes this.
  19. PriusFruit

PriusFruit Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Agree. Thanks for stating that.

Trust your intuition and listen to what the more experienced members here are stating.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  20. Moving Right Along

Moving Right Along Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I disagree with the bolded part. Whether or not a car was cared for can determine whether a reliable car model lasts 10 years or 20.

But it sounds like the car in question has an unknown maintenance and repair history. That added to the age, miles, and Gen 1 factor (based on stats I've seen, 1st gen Prius batteries fail up to 5 times more often than 2nd gen Prius batteries. And purely from observation, I see 2nd & 3rd gen Prii everywhere, but hardly ever see 1st gen Prii) means the risk is higher.