1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Newbie here - Huge reliability question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Bigbrownsound, May 1, 2011.

1. Bigbrownsound

Bigbrownsound New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Brand new to this board. The reason im here, is I think I have an unique situation. I looking for a used Prius - but - have a question about my situation. I deliver newspapers for a living on a 88 mile motor route, much like delivering the mail, with a ton of stop and go being involved. I have about 400 stops during the night, and drive the route myself 300 days a year. My question is, are there any Prius owners on this site - that have used their car in a similar situation. I would love to save the gas money, but, have reservations if this car is hardy enough for this kind of use. My concerns are the transmission, and the life of the battery, due to the stops. So - anyone out there use their Prius like this?? Thanks.

2. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    You would not be the first mail delivery Prius owner.
    And if you learn to brake gently for each stop the fuel economy will be much, much better than your current vehicle.

Reliability will be fine. Your use is really no different than 100% city driving.

3. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    re: the battery, it suffers the most abuse with sustained discharge followed by sustained discharge (or vice-versa) or usage in high cabin temperatures -- neither of which you will experience. The transaxle is pretty hardy, so long as the fluid is changed. For your usage, that would be every 30,000 miles. There are Prii in tax fleets with over 300,000 miles on them. The only negative to using a Prius as a rural mail carrier or paper delivery is under conditions with poor traction (snow/ice, mud). Then it is about as gutless as a 2wd longbed pickup.

4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    We have a number rural mail carriers, You should be fine. MPG will be low for a Prius, but great compared to your other choices.

The computers protect the HV battery so long as the car is running, so leave it running. It has a one speed transmission with 3 power sources and lots of software that gives the driver the illusion it is shifting. Used gently, the brakes are regenerative above 7 MPH, so there will be very little brake wear.

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...ral-cable-rural-mail-carrier.html#post1222696

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...carrier-seeks-advice-pruis-2.html#post1101057

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...1-right-hand-drive-kits-prius.html#post721020

5. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Consensus seems to be that the G3 Prius is much improved over the G2 Prius in traction control, even using OEM tyres.

6. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius