1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Newbie here. Should I buy used Prius?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by TDuran, Nov 21, 2015.

1. TDuran

TDuran New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Looking at a 2005 Prius with 129,000 miles. I hear the battery lasts about 150,000, I also hear the "hybrid battery" or "battery pack" goes for over $3000. Is that the battery this car would have? Or is that only in the plug in Prius? Sorry, really a newbie, I know nothing about Prius.
    Advice?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! you've come to the right place. spend as much time here as possible, before purchasing an old prius.

1) that is the battery, a plug in is much more expensive.

2) at that age and mileage, you're tempting fate, but the majority of cars won't have a problem for at least a few more years/miles.

3)you can buy a new one for a bit over $2,000., but if you can't diy, installation is fairly expensive unless you have a local mechanic who could easily do it in an hour or two.

4)whenever purchasing a prius that is out of hybrid warranty, (8 years 100,000 miles in ny for older models and 10 years 150,000 for newer, not sure of the cutoff date) you should have enough money to cover battery replacement if you aren't a skilled auto diy'er.

5) there are cheaper battery options such as rebuilt or salvage, but they have proven to be iffy.

6) all the best!(y)

#2 bisco, Nov 21, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2015
  3. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Welcome to PriusChat! You've made an excellent choice, but I see you're only looking at the moment. Do you have access to all the service records and has it been regularly maintained? There are many threads on PriusChat about things to look for, and what to avoid. You've certainly come to the right place to learn all you're ever likely to need to know about Prii. Good luck and happy hunting! (you might find the daisy555 thread) interesting - she was in much the same position as you four or five months ago, and she's ended up with what looks to be a great-looking keeper! Good luck! - Wil

Here you are:
    Buying Used Prius Agonizing over Details : } | PriusChat

4. vskid3

vskid3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Every Prius has a hybrid battery pack (also called traction or HV battery). Most cars are designed for a 150k mile life, so most major parts can be reasonably expected to last that long, including the battery. However, it's pretty much impossible to tell just how much longer the battery will last. It could die the day after you buy it or after another 130k miles. You should try to have a couple thousand dollars laying around in case the battery or other major component kicks the bucket (good advice for any car, really).

5. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My 2009 Gen II is already up to 105,000 miles and I bought the extended warranty (just in case), and I'm thinking of going with a Hybrid Automotive battery tender, (as advertised in Ye Olde Prius Shoppe) - I saw them at the 2GoB4 last year, and should have jumped at the chance, but better late than never, I guess!! We'll see what happens…

6. mrlebop

mrlebop Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    My brother's 2005 has 250,000, and no battery issues. Your mileage may vary...

wjtracy likes this.