1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Newbie in Canada needing clarification about Prius 2010 variants.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Briant1840, Oct 6, 2017.

1. Briant1840

Briant1840 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello,

Brian here from Canada. I am currently shopping for a used 2010 Prius and I have taken a look at 3 or 4 units already. However, there is one which sort of threw me off.

After doing a google search of the specs of the Canadian Prius variants for 2010, I realized that there are 4 upgrades: Premium, Premium with Solar Panels, Technology, and Touring packages. Two days ago, I came across a unit that didn't quite fit any of these.

You see, the Technology variant is supposed to have Navigation, moonroof with solar panels, radar cruise control, lane keep assist according to the specs. The one I saw is pretty close to this variant but not quite - has Navigation, moonroof with solar panesl, but it's missing the radar cruise control and lane keep assist.

I'm wondering, could this be a Prius that's imported from the US? Does the US have a variant that exactly fits what I just described?

I hope somebody from the US can help me out on this.

Please advise. Thank you in advance.

2. Briant1840

Briant1840 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here's an excerpt from the spec sheet i found.... thanks. Prius 2010 specs sheet Canada.png

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I've got a 2010 Touring, got the brochure in front of me, and am still a little asea. @Tideland Prius (moderator of the North...) should be able to sort this out though. Since I've invoked his username he'll get an alert.

Briant1840 likes this.
  4. bobzchemist

bobzchemist Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You are describing exactly the options I have in my US 2010 4 (IV).

Briant1840 likes this.
  5. Briant1840

Briant1840 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks! I guess that settles it.

6. bobzchemist

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The only other difference I can see is that mine didn't come with a Rear Bumper Protector. Also doesn't have DRL's, but I'm not sure if those were required in Canada yet.

Briant1840 likes this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Canadian (country-wide I think?) Prius will have the highbeams acting as daytime running lights, roughly half brightness. There's no on/off switch, as long as the parking brake's off and headlights are off, the DRL's will be on.

Briant1840 likes this.
  8. Briant1840

Briant1840 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you. My other car has DRL so it might be a requirement here. No sure though.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  9. bobzchemist

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm pretty sure it's a Canadian requirement - there have been several posts on here from Canadian folk needing to add DRL to their US-market cars. So, if the 2010 you're looking at doesn't have the DRL option, that's a dead giveaway that it was intended for/sold into the US market.

You probably need to find out if you can use the car in Canada without DRL's if you decide to buy it. If you can't, it's possible to add them, but do you want that hassle?

Briant1840 likes this.
  10. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    DRLs are a requirement in Canada, that you can't turn off except when parked. You can turn them off in an American car.
    Another giveaway is the odometer will record miles on a US car, not kilometres. You can switch the speedometer from miles per hour to km per hour but not the odometer. A Canadian car will read kilometres only and an American car will read miles only.

Briant1840 and Mendel Leisk like this.
  11. Briant1840

Briant1840 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks. It has been registered here in Canada by the previous owner. I'm just wondering if it's safe to presume that it already has the drl. I'll probably go check it out again. Thanks.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Per @David Beale : everything but speedo will be kms and centigrade, and litres per 100 km. Also pretty sure you'd see this, on the door decal:

IMG_7773.JPG

Briant1840 and Prodigyplace like this.
  13. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If it's missing DRCC, then it's a US-import car.

It will be a Prius IV.

It will have plasmacluster ionizer and you should see a small "plasmacluster" decal on the climate control LCD. Also, the US car won't come with illuminated door sills or solid black plastic rear bumper protector unless the previous owner added it themselves as accessories. Canadian cars also come with wheel locks (most US cars won't have it since it's not part of any accessory package so the likelihood of an owner installing a set is low)

Otherwise, a Canadian Technology package has DRCC. No Canadian models have LKA.

Mendel Leisk and Briant1840 like this.
  14. Briant1840

Briant1840 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks everyone for your inputs! I've decided to move on from this US unit, it's too much trouble (for someone in Canada). Even the seller is not too accommodating towards questioning and my due diligence.

Found a Canadian model - advance technology package... a much better variant, has radar cruise control & park assist and they're even throwing in a full set of winter tires on rims, I'm buying it tomorrow. Beautiful car!

Tideland Prius and Mendel Leisk like this.
  15. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Correct, thats the package 4 option. 5 will be radar cruise control, lane keep and self parallel parking only. You won't find a US model that has options 4 and 5 all in one. Weight and tire will throw off FE so I heard they didn't design a particular model for both.

16. Briant1840

Briant1840 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    what's "FE"?

also, does the self parallel parking feature work in real life situations? i've seen the videos on youtube but wonder?

17. Briant1840

Briant1840 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    oh fe means fuel economy.

18. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It does. Keep the brake depressed most of the time though. I red on gen 4 section that a couple activated the feature but didn't use the brakes and almost caused an accident. Hilarious.

19. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Some dealers will list a prius as a 5, when its really a 3 hoping uninformed customers will think they really buying a 5 for a good price. About 1/3 dealers did that when I shopped around for a prius for 6 months.

20. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I know this case is already settled, but here is a bit more info, with the date DRLs were required:

"... Canada's Motor Vehicle Safety Act (MVSA) and its Motor Vehicle Safety Regulations (MVSRs) require that all new vehicles sold in (or imported into) Canada and built after December 1, 1989, be fitted with daytime running lights (DRLs) that go on when you start the vehicle.

Vehicles built after December 1, 1989, that operate without DRLs are either:
    • United States licensed whose drivers are visiting Canada
    • have a broken or disconnected DRL function; or
    • were imported when they were more than 15 years old, (the federal government does not have jurisdiction over these)"
    Ask TC Motor Vehicle Safety - Transport Canada

Briant1840 likes this.