1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Newbie - Inverter Coolant Pump Leak

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by LaBruja, Nov 13, 2015.

1. LaBruja

LaBruja New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi there, I'm a new (very happy) owner of a used 2008 Prius. Car only has 67K miles and other than the leak, appears to be in good shape.

I noticed the coolant was low in both reservoirs, filled it up (with the proper SLLC), but a day or so later the check engine light came on. Took it to mechanic (dealer is 2 hours away), he read and cleared the codes, then found the leak. Appears to be leaking where the lower hose attaches to the pump, so not sure if it's the pump or the hose that's the problem. I've also noticed that the pump seems a bit noisy for a few minutes after shutting off the car (of course, I'm new to the Prius so not totally sure what "normal" sounds like).

First question: after doing some reading on the maintenance forums, I'm figuring I should maybe just replace the hose AND pump? as people seem to be recommending a preventative pump replacement at 100K miles anyway.

Second question: given distance to dealer and local mechanic prices, I'm planning on making the repair myself (I do have the proper tools and thanks to PriusChat have found great instructions). However, it'll probably take me a few weeks to get the parts and find the time to do it. In the meantime, is it going to harm my vehicle to continue to drive it, as long as I am diligent about keeping the coolant topped off?

Thanks in advance!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! did your car get the inverter pump recall?

3. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The inverter pump runs in accessory mode--ignition on, engine off. (It does not run after the car is turned off.) It should be silent and you should be able to see turbulence in the inverter reservoir. If all this looks good, I'd drive the car with the fluid topped off. If not, there's air in the system and you should not drive it until it's bled out. There are YouTube videos on that. Pump replacement looks fairly simple as long as you can bleed the system correctly. In addition to a few small hand tools you'll need a section of clear tubing.

The pump you hear after you turn the car off may be at the engine coolant storage tank. You hear that one, too, when the car goes into "Ready" mode, before the engine turns on.

What were the codes? Anything to do with coolant? An inverter coolant problem would not cause a check engine light. Replacing engine coolant is a bit more complicated and more difficult than the inverter. Again, there are videos. And you should check engine coolant (when cold!) at the actual radiator cap, under the engine splash shield, not the reservoir. There are videos for that, too.

Good luck.

4. vskid3

vskid3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The inverter coolant pump does not run when the car is IG-OFF. The engine coolant heat recovery pump (located in front of the left front tire, can be seen when the front portion of the wheel well liner is removed) runs for a few seconds upon startup and shutdown. That is the pump making the noise.
    1. Yes, you could replace both parts if you like.
    2. No harm if you keep the coolant level up. Don't allow air to get into the coolant loop - evidenced by lack of fluid turbulence in the inverter coolant reservoir. If air is in the loop, you will need to purge the air out before restoring the car to service.

6. LaBruja

LaBruja New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes! Looked back through the maintenance records that the previous owner sent with the car, and the inverter pump was replaced under recall at 36K miles. I wouldn't think that the pump has failed again already after only another 30K, so perhaps it's just the hose that's leaking?

7. LaBruja

LaBruja New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the link! Nice clear pictures and description. That will be helpful if I do end up needing to replace the whole thing.

8. LaBruja

LaBruja New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the reassurance - I love this car, and was worried I might be hurting it :)

9. LaBruja

LaBruja New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    1) Thank you for the clear description/instructions. I put the car in accessory mode and checked the reservoir - I'm not sure how much turbulence there should be, but the fluid was definitely swirling around in there so I'm hoping that means no air in the system. No noise from the pump.

2) They said the codes were for the coolant (code P0116) - the engine coolant was quite low, so I'm assuming that is what triggered the CEL.

3) Double checked the coolant at the radiator cap, and it seems fine.

It seems to be a fairly small leak and is confined to where the lower hose attaches to the inverter pump, but the car had apparently been sitting for a while before we purchased it, which would explain how low the coolant was.

#9 LaBruja, Nov 14, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if there's any swirling, it's working. it's a go/no go situation.

LaBruja likes this.
  11. andrewclaus

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Any idea what caused your engine coolant to get low and trigger the P0116 code? The leak we're talking about at the inverter pump wouldn't do that--separate loop. The Prius should not normally consume coolant. Leaks are pretty easy to spot (pink residue) and smell if it's vapor.

12. LaBruja

LaBruja New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No idea, unfortunately - both the engine and inverter coolant reservoirs were low when we bought it. The only leak the we found was the one at the pump (yes, telltale pink residue). He did pressure test the radiator cap/engine coolant system? and said there were no leaks.

I have also noticed that the A/C stops blowing cold after a few minutes, and have read that this can be a symptom of pump failure. Any idea if/why the pump may have failed again after being replaced only 30K miles ago? I'm wondering how long the previous owner was driving around with low coolant, and if that may have something to do with it...

#12 LaBruja, Nov 14, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
  13. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If the inverter pump was not working, the inverter would overheat and the AC compressor would stop working. However it is more likely that your AC system needs to be evacuated and recharged with refrigerant. A slight amount of moisture in the system can freeze up and stop the refrigeration process.

14. LaBruja

LaBruja New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So...sounds like the pump is actually probably fine, and it's just the hose/seal that needs to be replaced? Assuming this is a pretty simple DIY fix. CEL came on again yesterday - called local mechanic, he seems to think it's likely that because of the leak, it keeps triggering the same sensor (light has been coming on and off since the leak started).

Another question: when I first start the car, I hear a loud-ish, distinct gurgling noise. Normal or no?

Thanks again. I sure appreciate all the info and advice.

15. andrewclaus

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    It sounds like you're loosing engine coolant, somewhere, and not from your inverter pump leak. The gurgling noise may be air in the engine coolant trying to circulate when the storage tank pump cycles on in "Ready" mode. Did you check your radiator again? (By the way, I just discovered yesterday that can be done by popping only two of the six fasteners in the splash shield, the ones farthest to the right of the car--gives you inspection, not working, access.) I would not drive the car until you solve the coolant problem--it may be substantial. Do you get cabin heat?

Edit: I just checked the code you got before, P0116, and it is not coolant level as assumed, it's "Range/Performance Problem" with the coolant and might be a temperature sensor problem--I'm surprised your mechanic didn't recommend that. It may be an easy fix. Still, it'll be wise to make sure there's no air in the system and that can be checked at the radiator cap when cold. Also, try squeezing the upper radiator hose on the driver's side of the radiator--when the system is correctly filled, it should be relatively firm, not "squishy." You'll have to completely remove the splash shield for that.

#15 andrewclaus, Nov 16, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
  16. LaBruja

LaBruja New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I checked under the radiator cap yesterday - seemed to be plenty of fluid (and yes, very handy to only have to pop two of those fasteners!). I did have the mechanic pressurize the radiator cap and check for leaks - he said it didn't lose even a tiny bit a pressure, so no leaks. Also, since I initially refilled the engine coolant reservoir (it was REALLY low when we purchased the car) it doesn't seem to have lost any. I don't know how long the previous owner was driving around with low coolant - if they had driven it with an empty reservoir, could that have introduced air to the coolant? I haven't tried the heat in the last few days, but it has worked fine when I have used it (takes a few minutes of driving for the air to actually get warm, but after that it turns quickly to "roast" :D ).

17. LaBruja

LaBruja New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Forgive my ignorance - how do I tell if there is air in the system at the radiator cap? And I just ran out and squeezed the upper radiator hose - it is indeed squishy.

18. andrewclaus

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The coolant level should be all the way to the brim of the radiator cap and the reservoir should have coolant at least to the MIN level. Liquid coolant is not compressible, and if the system is full you should not be able to squeeze any hose like a sponge. The hose will definitely deform but should retain the same volume, if that makes sense. There should be no gurgling noise.

You might want to look into replacing the coolant temp sensor, which is probably giving you the code. That will mean draining the system, and you'll have to bleed it then anyway. That requires a Toyota-equivalent scan tool (or some skill with a jumper wire--do a search on this forum--I think Patrick W first published it). (A suitable tool, the Mini VCI, can be purchased for about $25 and needs an old Win XP or 7 32-bit laptop.)

I suppose there's a chance the coolant sensor could give a bad reading if the sender is not completely immersed in coolant. The sensor is probably at the top of the engine where an air bubble would like to live. That's just a SWAG (wild guess) and if correct, might solve the problem.

19. LaBruja

LaBruja New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The coolant is full all the way to the radiator cap, and sitting right below full in the reservoir - but like I said, there's that loud gurgling noise right after starting and the hose is squishy, so it does sound like there's air in the system. That SWAG might just be the ticket - if there's a bubble floating around in there I think that might also explain why the CEL is intermittent and not consistently on (at least, it makes sense to me - not that I know anything!).

If I'm just going to bleed the system without messing with the sensor, I shouldn't need the scan tool, right? And I'm assuming I shouldn't drive the car until I get this taken care of.

Edit: just want to reiterate my thanks for all the advice. I'm roughly two hours from anywhere and the local mechanic "doesn't believe in these new-fangled "pirrus" cars" so DIY is the only decent option for most things.

#19 LaBruja, Nov 16, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
  20. andrewclaus

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    This is beyond my direct experience, thus the SWAG. With the coolant consistently full to the brim of the radiator neck (sounds like you checked it multiple times), and the heat working so well, the system should be completely bled. The car should be good to drive.

My pump makes a whining noise, but not gurgling. The hoses are firm, especially when the system is hot.

Have you tried opening the radiator bleed valve? It's on the driver's side, operated with a 6 mm allen key through a hole in the upper radiator support. You need some clear tubing (about 1/4 or 5/16" I.D.) attached to the outlet facing the engine. Open the valve (cold engine!) a half turn or so and you should get coolant rising an inch or so to the level of the filler neck. If this doesn't happen and the level at the filler neck drops considerably, you have air in there. (When bleeding the system, you're instructed to run the tubing into the open reservoir.)

The scan tool runs an electric coolant pump to aid in evacuating air from the system. Running that pump is necessary for any bleeding operation. Again, there is a hack for that. I bought the Mini VCI for other diagnostics and testing, so I haven't tried the hack.

Good luck--I know what it's like to be out in the sticks (Colorado mountains), though from where I live right now I can practically see a Toyota dealer out my front window. Makes it real easy for parts and coolant.