1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Newbie looking at buying 06 Highlander Hybrid FWD with 130k. Any gotchas and other questions

Discussion in 'Toyota Hybrids and EVs' started by michelb, Feb 14, 2014.

1. michelb

michelb New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

I'm looking at buying an 06 Highlander Hybrid base FWD with 130k miles (more than I'd like but the price is right). Full service history and looks like it's been well maintained and is in good shape.

I'm going to bring it to Toyota to do a pre-purchase inspection (and it looks like there's a recall for the inverter from Fall 2013 that hasn't been performed so I'll try to get that done). Anything else I should look for?

Strange question but it's at a used dealer and he doesn't have any fobs for it. It appears to be base + package #1 (Fog lights, rear spoiler, moon roof, JBL with 6 cd, etc). Should it have power door locks if I get the fobs (from eBay or something)? Also was Smart Key keyless available for the 06 HH? I don't think I have it but if I do, I believe it's a different fob. How do I tell if I have it (if it was even an option).

As far as maintenance is concerned, does the HH need inverter coolant replaced (like the Prius does)? I didn't see it in the maintenance schedule)?

Any advice? Let me know. Thanks,
    Mike

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You might want to send a PM to member Patrick Wong. He has a Highlander and may help in answering your questions about that car. This is PriusChat:)

But a dealer without a key fob indicates the car was a possible Repo. If it were a trade in vehicle, it probably would have all the keys.....or at lease 1

3. michelb

michelb New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the info. I should clarify that the car comes with 2 keys, it just doesn't have any fobs (no idea why)

4. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    After 130k miles, the fobs could have simply been lost. The keys are needed for operating the vehicle. Fobs are luxury items and once lost, not deemed worth the cost. Or the dealer sold them off, and hopes for more profit off the next buyer from another set.

5. CPSDarren

CPSDarren CPS Technician

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Fobs are easy to forget when trading in a car. Done it myself. Also expensive to replace. Make sure they replace them before you buy it or you will never see them. 130k seems like it might be getting close to new battery time, too. You might figure that into the total cost. Base models never had smart key as far as I know.