1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

newbie looking to buy 1st Prius...need feedback :)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Deva, Jan 12, 2015.

1. littlehandegan

littlehandegan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Has the HV battery been done on the car with 152k?

The mileage wouldn't bother me, granted it has been done 1 time.

2. tanglefoot

tanglefoot Whee!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Which model Scion are you looking at? I believe all the Scions have lifetime timing chains, not timing belts, and are, as a whole, well put-together, long-lasting cars.

The high voltage battery failure rate in the 2nd-gen (and even the 1st-gen) is pretty low. A Consumer Reports Survey in 2013 indicated a 1% failure rate for the 2007 Prius model year HV batteries. A 2% failure rate (the result for 2005 in 2013) may be more accurate now for the 2007.
    Honda Civic Hybrid Battery Reliability | Hybrid Batteries - Consumer Reports News

The HV batt isn't the only concern though. It may be the most "famous", but there are certainly other things, such as the transaxle, multi-function display, inverter, various ECUs, etc, that can be even more expensive.

With batteries, life is often best measured in time instead of miles. The Prius taxis that get driven a lot commonly wrack up 300,000+ miles on a battery pack. A seldom-driven one might not make 100k on the original pack.

I'm a big fan of the 2nd gen, and chances are you'd have a great ownership experience, but there is a little bit of risk of it needing something expensive. Any car is a risk though, even a brand new one. If you are set on a Prius, you might take your time and find some more examples. I wouldn't jump on the first or second one, unless it has all the positive marks.

Although my '07 is nearing the 8-year mark, I'm betting on it going much longer without needing much. I'm in it for the long haul, and have no plans to replace it.

Good luck!

#22 tanglefoot, Jan 14, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
  3. stonerider

stonerider Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I bought my first Prius, a 2007 Silver Mica Pine, last August. She had about 89K miles and kept in great shape. I changed the 12v battery and got transaxle fluid changed. I liked it so much, I bought another 2007 Prius to replace an ageing 2002 Mercedes c240. I love my Prius. Toyota built the 2nd Gen Prius with great engineering care. They will last another 5 years without a problem.

4. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    By "done," it seems like you mean HV Battery replaced? Only the owner and Toyota would know that; might be able to look that up on the Toyota Owners site.

No one knows how long the HV Battery will last; its luck of the draw. Most people probably want to win the HV Battery lotto; fail under warranty to get a new HV Battery. Maybe the car you are interested in gets to 200K miles before the HV Battery fails, or maybe it doesn't.

Browse this link to get an idea of NEW HV Battery costs from Toyota Dealers who have an online site; $2K+. I have a suspicion that Toyota would not accept an HV Battery that shows evidence of being rebuilt (ie Doorman, b/c they paint the battery case).
    New Traction Battery Cost: Start Shopping Here | PriusChat

The HV batteries for $800, $1200-$2200 are used/rebuilt batteries. Their longevity is an unknown. Some rebuilders stand behind their rebuilds, others don't, or have gone under. Also you don't know what year Prius the rebuilt battery is from; could it be a 2004 (11 years old now) or 2009 (6 years old now). Since the rebuilders are replacing bad modules with good modules, you could have a mix/match of years; HV battery is mostly 2007, but has one module from 2006, two modules from 2009, etc. FYI, the Gen2 HV Battery is composed of 28 modules, wired in series, to get you the big HV Battery of 212Volts.

Do not think you can just replace a bad module with a good one and be fine. You are guaranteed problems if you attempt this.
    Read this, if you want to learn more about rebuilding a HV Battery pack.
    Gen II Prius Individual Battery Module Replacement | PriusChat

Pretty much can count on a New HV Battery will outlast a rebuilt HV Battery.

CARB States have the 10Year/150,000 Mile Warranty.
    Non-CARB States have 8Years/100,000Miles.

The car the OP is interested in is out of HV Battery warranty.

#24 exstudent, Jan 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2015