1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Newbie needing help with Pulse and Glide

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by RaydioRay, Oct 11, 2012.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no, the area's shown on ken's hsi are less than full throttle and more 'pedal' than no throttle. you have to practice getting the indicator bar up quickly to the segment he shows without going beyond it, then when you reach the speed you want, let off completely and instantaneously re press to just at or above the 'no bar shown' line.

2. terpsmandan

terpsmandan Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    So throttle up to the edge of the ECO and then lift.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, the right edge of eco where f8l shows it in post #2. then lift just enough to keep it there. that is the complete 'pulse' cycle.

4. terpsmandan

terpsmandan Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Just so I got it right, modulate the throttle to keep it on the edge and then left when you reach the speed you want?

5. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I think you have it correct. Press the "Go" pedal such that on the HSI screen, it moves to the second fat bar (and roughly 50% to 75% of the fat bar is filled. Get your car up to the speed you want to get to and then reduce the throttle such that the first bar is barely filled or not filled at all. Glide down to your target speed. Pulse again as before.

You can practice pulsing and gliding when you are in slow and go traffic. This is an ideal time to practice as the traffic patterns lend themselves to P&G. The trick is that you can't tailgate and do it properly. The gap you leave in front of you will encourage other drivers to "jump" into your gap. Don't worry, it doesn't actually happen that often. Pulse up to speed (watching for brake lights and traffic speed in front of you) and then glide when you see traffic is about to slow down.

If you execute it properly, you'll seldom, if ever, use your brakes.

6. terpsmandan

terpsmandan Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks, I figured it out on the way home and got 62 mpg. I was always in the mid 50's westbound.

7. MattPersman

MattPersman Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Great early results with more practice and kind traffic it will improve consistently

8. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    And learning how to drive on a particular route is a very underrated variable. Put me in a town where I don't know every little nuance of traffic and light patterns and I won't even come close to what I can do at home.

Codyroo likes this.
  9. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    This is a fantastic point and Markabele is correct with it. My MPG's are not as good when I'm driving in unfamiliar neighborhoods (don't know the stop sign locations, the traffic light patterns/lengths/durations) etc.