1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Newbie needs help!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by papercranes, Jan 22, 2014.

1. papercranes

papercranes Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yeah it just bugged me... Cause the car was pretty solid til it wasn't. The sting is less now that it's 3 days old. Lol..

Nice. How's that car working out for you? And good luck! Hopefully those scrapes aren't too many and too visible.

Yeah I mean.. It was bound to happen, right? My spoiler has two paint chips.. I'm assuming that it's even paint? But those were there when I bought the car.

Another thing is.. The car is white, obviously.. But there are some darkened shades that look like something's washing off from inside the door handles cause they're visible on all 4 doors. Is there any way to get rid of this? I suppose I'll post a pic.. Maybe it makes more sense then.

iPhone ?

2. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Toyota Black 202 touch up paint is a perfect match for the spoiler.

Fingernails will give the cups behind the door handles a beating unless they are covered with plastic film. The primer is white so it really shows on a dark car. Could they be accumulating road grime? I have not noticed anything oozing or seeping out of the door handles.

3. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Try a little car polish on a soft towel and that should rub off.

4. papercranes

papercranes Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    [​IMG]

don't know if you can see what I mean very clearly in this pic.

But thanks for the tips.. I will try that.

iPhone ?

5. genosmiles

genosmiles Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yes, my 2013 Prius IV is extremely prone to bottoming out. Sometime around year 2014 I scrapped almost the exact area you did on your pearl white Prius. Took it to a local body shop for a quote of $600-800 depending on brand new bumper vs recycled. They did not give me a quote for "Touch-up and bland" and I did not ask. Seemed like a waste to get a whole new front bumper as "bottoming out" or scraping a "front stop" in parking lots seems an ever present high risk situation for the Prius 3. It is also completely impossible to for me to see exactly where the front end stops! I did get a touch up kit, sanded and touched up that area myself. It lasted about 2 years before the touch up paint "wore off. It has been about 3-4 years now with that scrape, and 1-2 years since my "touch-up" job. I'll inspect and take a pic this spring and post. If there is no rust through, I may try a more thorough touch-up this sprint (2019). I hope other members post their experiences.

Robert Holt likes this.
  6. Bay Stater

Bay Stater Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I made a U turn once and just barely scraped the lower right corner of the front bumper from the road side curbing. Left a nice dull black stripe scrape about 1/2 inch wide and several inches long. The Prius is silver. Decided to use the bottled touch up paint to repair. It took several coats to finish the repair. Still was noticable, but better than not doing it if bent over to view. From a stand up position, you can't see the repair. That was good enough for me.

A year later my car was front side sandwiched in the work parking lot. Got a new front bumper from that repair. Eye sore repair eliminated, LOL. :D

Raytheeagle likes this.
  7. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    o_O