1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Newbie orange 2012 prius c

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by orangePruisC, Jan 16, 2013.

1. orangePruisC

orangePruisC New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Greetings, I'm new, just got my prius c last Saturday. I've been a maximize your mpg for years, even before it became popular some folks call me cheap, I prefer thrifty. Every car that I have bought new, since 1983 , I have eeked out a minimum for 5mpg over rating, my highest was 10. I traded in my trusty 2001 civic dx with over 200k. I've had Hondas since 87. First toyota. First hybrid. My first new car was a dodge, I got 48 mpg average, clutch brakes and transmission went at 50k, traded for a ford ranger, lemon, stalled at 50 regularly, traded for a rt4wd civic wagon got over 40 traded at 185k Next was a 94 civic base, got 45-54 depending on conditions, 175k loved that car. Traded for an 01 civic base model got 40cty45-50 highway. I am totally hopping I can eek out 60+ with my around town trips. From what I've been reading it should be possible. I am having trouble adjusting to the continuous engine. I loved my manuals. One thing I have noticed is that it says I'm going 25, but feels like I'm going about 5. Most of my driving is on the frigid flat lands in colorado right now, my mpgs have varied from 10-49.5 what a roller coaster it is -15 regularly.

I have a magnetic oil pan heater, is it safe to use? This is the first year I have used any kind of heater with any of my cars. It worked fine with the civic, but there's so much more electronically that I don't want to chance it. The dealer refused to install it for me and that made me nervous. I've spent about 3 days combing this site, so great foul for all the wonderful advice

2. Kimberlee Bovee

Kimberlee Bovee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I don't know about the oil pan heater, but would be curious also as I live in MN. I've had my C for almost a year now and have found that driving in cold weather SEVERELY affects the mileage. It helps to turn the heater down to 2 bars to keep it in EV mode. then crank the heater when you're in running mode to warm up. If you're truly frugal, you'll wear mittens when it's below zero to do this. I do.

orangePruisC and RocMills like this.