1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Newbie purchasing a Prius - Need a mentor to guide me

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Anerudh, Oct 14, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Anerudh

Anerudh New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Folks,

I'm a newbie here out to purchase my first pre-owned Prius here in Dallas. Just graduated and the new job kinda pays low.
    I've looked at how the Prius drives, have been a huge fan of how efficient this car is, how less of a gas guzzler it is.
    My roommates tell me the Prius is a complex machine with lots of fluids, batteries and maintenance compared to a regular car and are dissuading me from buying one saying what you can't understand or fix on your own, you shouldn't buy. Especially since i'm buying a pre-owned Prius.

I also googled that batteries require a good temperature to be efficient and that the Texas summers may affect them.

I was wondering if anyone who is passionate enough about their Prius, has the time, and lives in Dallas (preferably close to Preston and maple shade lane or plano), would like to educate me about the Prius, why it is a good choice, salient features of the car and just give me a walk-through of the basic car maintenance and details of the engine components under the hood that I need to be aware of.

I'd really appreciate the info before I go buy one.

I can buy you pizza for your troubles :)

Please lemme know.

Regards,
    Gopal.

Burna J likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    stop by texas hybrid batteries in weather ford and have a chat with matt. he is a member here and a great guy.

my personal opinion is that the prius is a low maintenance vehicle, but can require expensive repairs when it ages.
    if you don't seriously diy, and cannot afford or find a great hybrid vehicle repair shop in your area, an older one with higher miles probably woundn't be a sensible purchase.
    your roommates are right and wrong. but heat is not good for the hybrid battery, and the lifespan is shorter in warm climates. that said, we have lots of owners in the south and southwest.

Raytheeagle and Anerudh like this.
  3. Anerudh

Anerudh New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Bisco,

How high mileage are we talking about? I was looking at pre owned cars in the 120k to 150k range. Is that too much for a Prius?
    Also I just googled Texas hybrid batteries in weather ford. All it shows me on the map is a wide area that is probably the serviced area of the business.
    Do you know where Matt's shop is?

How expensive repairs are we talking about? I'm not a DIY'er. This is probably going to be the first car I own. Should I go for something like a corolla instead in terms of parts repair and reliability?

4. Sooner Al

Sooner Al Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Raytheeagle likes this.
  5. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    And I’ll tag him here so he’ll see it and use this if you want to start a private conversation with him:

@Texas Hybrid Batteries

Good luck and keep us posted (y).

6. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    What are those digits in the top right corner called? I think it is a primitive means to communicate vocally?
    upload_2018-10-20_3-48-18.png

7. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I vote getting a Corolla, Civic, Accent, Yaris, etc.

You don't DIY, so that will make all Prius maintenance and esp repairs PRICEY!