1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Newbie question just bought a 2012 prius v

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by Erik Gutierrez, Feb 11, 2021.

1. Erik Gutierrez

Erik Gutierrez New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    So i'm totally new to hybrids and Prius. So I purchased a 2012 v from carmax very clean one owner looks to be well cared for 100k miles. What type of Maintanence am I looking for to do next and how long do these cars last when taken care of? After 100k what seems to go out?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats and welcome!

first thing to do at that mileage is an egr circuit cleanse and oil catch can addition before the head gasket blows. see @NutzAboutBolts you tube channel, hopefully you don't have any gasket damage yet.
    test the 12v battery health.

change the oil and filter unless you know the service history sand it was done within the last 10k.

check the cabin and engine air filters

clean the hybrid battery cooling fan and intake grille

follow the toyota maintenance schedule, you're close to fluid and plug changes.

all the best!(y)

Aaron Vitolins likes this.
  3. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    You have coolant and sparkplug replacements in your near future. Sparkplugs are tricky to access. I would check with your seller to determine if they already did these items.

Did the car come with a warranty?

I would go 5k miles max between oil changes. There are significant piston ring issues that you want to avoid. Many other possible problem areas. I would avoid excessive speed over 70 as well. Be aware the hybrid inverter and the special brake pump / master cylinder are warranted with free repairs for certain codes until 10 years from original purchase.

Attached Files:

#3 rjparker, Feb 11, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
  4. gromittoo

gromittoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Both RJParker and bisco have good advice.

I would add that if there is any chance that the spark plugs are original, replace them at the same time as the very important EGR, EGR cooler, and intake manifold cleaning. If you have any inkling they were replaced with cheap plugs (say by a non dealer), do the replacement anyway. Also inspect the Coil Paks while you have things open.

The stupid design of this engine compartment means you have to remove the whole windshield wiper assembly and shelf to access the spark plugs. This is a big job that can take a whole day. It makes sense to combine these repairs (which makes it a weekend long project). I am doing this work on my 2013 next week while I recover from eye surgery.

Don't rely on the Carmax salesman saying "Of course they replaced the plugs". I believe that RJP can attest that even most Toyota salesman are misinformed about how difficult a job a Spark plug change is in 3rd gen Prius V. Good thing the OEM plugs are rated for 100K.

Shop around for the original Toyota part, if there is any doubt of going 100K. ~$40-$50 for a set of four from a dealer is cheap insurance for the next 100K (as opposed to what you may be tempted by on Amazon).

Georgina Rudkus likes this.
  5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Info:
    Bad Flywheel | PriusChat