1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Newbie Questions.. Prius Selection

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by P1Ally, May 26, 2013.

1. P1Ally

P1Ally Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all! I posted this in the newbie forum, but didn't get a response.

I'm looking to purchase a new to me Prius like ASAP. For my own peace of mind, I need a GOOD warranty. I was considering buying a certified Prius, with the extended warranty. I could also buy one that's still under factory warranty (less than 36k miles and 36 mo) and buy an extended warranty by itself. Would that even work? Would it carry over to me as the second owner? Or I could pay a few extra thousand dollars and buy a new one.. That might push my budget though because I'd want the 3 with the solar roof..

Also, are there any major advantages getting a '12 instead of a '10? I plan on getting one with the sunroof and backup camera, and if I can do that with a 2010, it'd be cheaper. (This would have to be certified, because it's more than 36mo.)

Thoughts?

2. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

2012 was the 'mid cycle refresh' with new front fascia, Entune, 3 door smart key in the 3 model.

Heard 2012 got updated intake manifold to quell cold start knocking problems some were having. also a new engine mount.

For me, the important upgrade in the 2012 would have been addition of power driver's seat in 4 and 5, but four with solar/sunroof gets really pricey, $33k sticker new. IMO, keep an eye on the mechanical seat 'cause it's been problematic fit at least for me.

If buying used toyota warranty carries to new buyer. Don't know about additional warranties, you'd have to ask the warranters how to transfer.

When selling my 2009, I did paperwork to transfer pre-paid maintenance to new buyers.

3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I do not like my dealer enough to give them even more money for an extended warranty.

Bob Hahn likes this.
  4. MPGnutcase

MPGnutcase Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    extended warranty my thoughts, My dealer wanted $990 this is a money maker for the dealer and yes it is insurance also. After talking to the service dept. manager he said that the Prius is in for service the least of all Toy's. Factory warranty is 8 years on the hybrid system I feel that's good and I DID NOT buy the extended warranty..................
    Time will tell who was right :D