1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Newbie to the #PriusLife

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Rdarcy, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Rdarcy

Rdarcy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi everybody. My name is Darcy. I am about to buy my first Prius. I am a travel photographer, and plan to drive across the US and live and work out of my Prius for a year at least. I have been researching and watching all the youtube videos about people who do this, and just found this forum.

i will probably buy a used Prius most likely. Looking for info on the best year in your opinion. Has to be 2010 or later since i may use it for uber now and then. I think uber has a 10 yr rule on cars and lyft has a 12? Either way in that range. I am a tall guy too(6’3”). I understand the Prius v(2011-2017) has 50% more cargo space. But that the 2nd & 3rd gen are the most popular with the Prius Life crowd.

Any advice on what tolook for when buying used? How to check the battery health. I know when buying a used Nissan Leaf there is a diagnostic tool you can buy and use with an app to check battery health. Is there such a thing for the prius?

Oh, and any opinion on wether the Plug in Prius is worth it over the non plug in models when buying used?

I think i’d like to keep the price at $10,000 or less. But willing to go a little higher for the right prius. I live here in NY.

Lastly, once i get my Prius, i am interested in adding a flat solar panel and an extra battery to help charge & run some electronics. So any advice on that would be great. But right now I am just focused on picking the right Tesla model. Thanks for any & all advice!

Cheers!

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm tall too and my Gen2 Prius was incredibly uncomfortable on long drives until I removed the center console and replaced it with a pillow, which also makes car camping easier. I'd never buy a gen3 Prius because removing the console would require re-fabricating the dash... Also we just started a new Forum on here for Prius Camping & Roadtrips, so you might want to learn more about design ideas, as well as post more questions there: Living Life in a Prius | PriusChat . And if you want to start your travel photography in a Prius on the west coast, I'd be happy to help you find a good Prius to buy, as well as do all the battery cleaning & reconditioning so it's a solid car for many years of traveling.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    any way you could afford a prime? too many concerns on used gen3

4. Rdarcy

Rdarcy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hey, thanks for the warm welcome, advice & offer to help. Much appreciated. I plan to eventually head out west. But will be in NY most likely for the next year or so and will buy the prius here. Currently checking craigslist and all the local dealers, so will post about what i find and if I have any questions, this seems like the place. I did find a 2012 Prius V with 100k miles for $10,500 today. I wasn’t looking at the V originally, but perhaps it is better for tall guys being a slightly bigger model? What are your thoughts? Thanks!

hey, thanks for the welcome. I was looking at gen 3s mostly(years 2010-2015). I know the 2010s had piston issues. So avoiding those. But 2011-2015 seemed good. What issues you talking about? I would like trim level 4 or 5 for the imitation leather seats. I plan to do uber, and well...i would imagine they are easier to clean. Lol. But thanks for any & all feedback. Much appreciated. - rDarcy

Attached Files:

#4 Rdarcy, Jan 23, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2020
  5. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Prius V may be a tiny bit larger on the inside, but way heavier and you'll never get to 50mpg, more like low 40's and over the course of a couple hundred thousand miles that adds up to a serious amount of extra money you'll be spending. They also discontinued the Prius V line so over the life of your vehicle used parts from wrecking yards are going to be much harder to come by then they are for regular Prius.

6. Rdarcy

Rdarcy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    thanks for the advice. Def good to know!

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    2010-2013 are the same, 2014 got pistons, 2015 got rings, but all are subject to egr clogging and failed head gaskets.
    brake actuators are a thing too. then there's the hybrid battery coming up on ten years old.

8. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Congrats and welcome. I suggest buying the youngest one you can afford. The traction battery lifetime is dependent on many factors and you won't be able to precisely estimate it. But 10-15 years is a useful guess.

9. Rdarcy

Rdarcy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    thanks! I crossed the Prius V off my list today. The lower mileage & gap created when you fold down the Back seats weren’t worth the extra space. I will try to get the newest Prius I can. But my plan is to use this for travel & uber for a year or two...and then get a Tesla or EV down the road. So i am not looking to spend too much. I don’t want a clunker either tho. Something in the middle. Still looking in the 2011- 2016 range. Preferably with the imitation leather seats vs the fabric. Just want to find the best deal(duh!) and a reputable seller. Hope to nab one by end of Feb.

10. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Don't forget resale. It sometimes works better to get a $10k car and depreciate it down to $7k with usage than it does to get the $5k car and completely use it up. A lot of ways to play that, and none of them are automatically "right."

The private seller who needs a bigger car is nearly always selling a better car than anything you'd find at a dealer. People trade in their problems.

dubit likes this.
  11. Rdarcy

Rdarcy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    i hear you. $10k is about what i was willing to spend. And i agree about private sellers vs dealers. I am aggressively looking for people selling privately in my area.

12. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    But after 2015 the lowly ones at Toyota were finally listened to and they actually realized that grabbing exhaust gas to recirculate in the engine further downstream is worth the effort. Or maybe it was loss of loyalty/lawsuits, hard to say?

When it comes to Toyota and many other car makers, the profit 1st agenda is all about how can we get them to love their car so much that the sooner we make it fail the sooner they'll buy a new one. Of course if it fails too soon then they don't buy a new one and go to a different car maker. And based on Prius sales numbers there's no shortage of people moving on to higher quality brands... Besides, the fact the EGR system moved further downstream in Gen4 speaks to fact that they did it wrong and are trying to do it better.

13. dubit

dubit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    If your only planning on having this for a couple years, my recommendation would be to NOT purchase a Prius. But since your here, chances are your going to anyways. So get one that is as new as you can possibly afford. Then - begin saving. Because if that thing starts throwing codes, you'll need the cash.

Just too many instances of people buying these things - then it starts throwing codes a couple weeks to a couple months down the road. They are expensive to repair. So people clear the codes and off load it. To be honest, if mine started throwing codes. I'd do the same. Clear those codes and park it with a For Sale sign. Once it's gone, it the new owners problem.

*just being honest*

Leadfoot up there says it best:

#13 dubit, Jan 24, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
  14. Rdarcy

Rdarcy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Found these two as well...

Attached Files:

15. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    2015 and later Prius v have improved crash protection on the insurance institute tests.

16. Rdarcy

Rdarcy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    good to know. It is kind of overwhelming the sheer number of used Prius’ that are out there. In a way its good, because it gives the buyer more opportunity to haggle the price down. I am pretty much zeroing in on the gen 3 yrs 2013 -2015 now. And then a few 2016 & 2017 models. If i got the plug in version, i’d only go with the later years as the EV range doubled from the gen 3 models. But i am still concerned with the cargo space the plug in versions sacrifice. So i am leaning towards the standard in either the gen 3 or gen 4 models. Trim levels 3 touring, 4 or 5 with the imitation leather seats.

17. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I am quite happy with my early 2017 Trim 2.
    In 2017 they designed the headlights to reduce glare and added many safety features as standard. In mid 2017 they added even more safety features as standard.

there are some threads in the knowledgebase discussion here listing the features fir the different years and trim levels.

18. Rdarcy

Rdarcy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Also, what are everyones opinions on the two styles of shifter island design of the gen 3 & gen 4? Do you find the raised island of the gen 3 comfortable or claustrophobic? Just by looking, i prefer the gen 4 style. Looks more open. Although the shifter on the dash looks awkward? I do not know.

19. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Personally I despise the 3rd generation for its interior, especially that center console. I haven't driven a 4th yet.

20. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I believe Prius v console is different. I have had no issues with either my son’s Prius v or my Gen 4.