1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Newbie Torque Pro Question.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Kljash, Jul 14, 2018.

1. Kljash

Kljash Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I was playing with torque for the first time and ran the test, the only thing that caught my eye was after a 2 mile dive or so it logged 3 misfires, 1each on 1, 3, and 4 is this normal? Car drivers fine, and im getting the best mpg I've had in a while thoughts?

Pretty neat app.

2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If it’s logging misfires it should also throw a check engine light on the dash, no check engine light I would suspect the car is not throwing misfires.

How is the engine oil level on the dipstick?

Kljash likes this.
  3. Cyvan

Cyvan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Give Hybrid Assistant a try , its preconfigured to pull all the pids for Toyota Hybrids .. I drive with it everyday and use Torque only to pull error codes.

Kljash likes this.
  4. Kljash

Kljash Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Checked it this morning its good. I'm wondering if i just don't have the app configured properly. I just played with it about 30 min before work.

5. Kljash

Kljash Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'll give it a try thanks.

6. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Torque does not have Toyota Techstream Software. Get a TIS OBD tester. Many available pretty cheap.

Amazon:

Mini vci
    VXDIAG

7. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    How many miles on the car? Is the engine not running well and running rough?

Have you ever run the engine oil so low it turned on the check engine light?

8. Kljash

Kljash Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    107000, Runs great, check and maintain the oil regularly. However I am the second owner. As far as I can tell there is nothing wrong with the car. was just curious as to why torque seemed to log 3 misfires, I didn't even add the Prius PID's. I'll give it another go today after I play with the app some more.

9. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    if no lights on the dash your torque is incorrect. get a techstream device.

10. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It is not necessary to get a Techstream device. But, it depends what you want or need to do. For your purposes, Torque Pro sounds fine.

You can get misfire codes and not have any lights, like you can with a lot of codes. It simply means there are not enough misfires to trigger the threshold required to set the light. IOW (In other words), there is nothing to worry about. Yet. Maybe never.

Kljash likes this.
  11. scottberggren

scottberggren Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey everyone, first post but been reading here for a while. Just bought a 2008 with 200k and am going to be doing some maintenance. If I find anything helpful I'll be sure to post.

I'm a DIYer, and have used OBD scanners. I use the BlueDriver because it works on iPhone and I can use it on the go.

When I've done mode6 data on a car misfires just happen. Once I was looking at my father-in-law's Lexus ES350 and it logged a misfire but the car was in tip top shape. Misfires happen every so often. They're kind of like a bump in the road: something is not exactly right, but not so far out of spec that you need to call the road crew or start to worry.

Most engine computers have a threshold for the number of misfires in a given time frame. If I'm remembering correctly it's in the thousands. So you can have misfires on a car that might not trigger a check engine/MIL, but is happening. If you've ever had an older car you probably have experience cold engine misfires when you start it up. The engine runs fine but you notice some misses when starting up. My Accord does it every day. Once it's in gear or warmed up it runs fine.

Bottom line, 3 misfires over a two mile run is nothing in my non-expert opinion and limited experience. The key with misfires is not are they happening (because they do happen), but how often do they happen. Kind of like spiders in your house. Everyone has them, but its quantity and frequency that cause us to do something about it.