1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Newbie transmission question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Tony714, Feb 7, 2019.

1. Tony714

Tony714 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Newbie here. Want to buy a used 2nd gen, and am totally unfamiliar with these cars. I test drove a few, and the CVT chattered at certain instances. Is that normal? Is that a sign of hard use? What is the lifespan of the transmissions?

2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    At what stage does it chatter? It makes a little noise and vibration when the engine kicks on and off but that's it should be extremely smooth and well mannered once on the road.

But really the main thing to be aware of is if it has the original hybrid battery in the car or has the hybrid battery been "rebuilt".
    Lots of sellers say NEW BATTERY. That usually means its been rebuilt by some Craigslist idiot and will not last long. Rebuilt means they found a same age old battery that hasn't failed yet and stick it in there. If they say brand new dealer battery lets see the receipt.
    Nobody buys a new dealer $3500 battery then sells the car.

I personally think the main reason people sell there G2 Prius is the hybrid battery is in the early stages of failure there mileage has tanked so they get rid of it. And stick unsuspecting owners like yourself who know nothing about the car.

if you see a car you like get its vin go to toyota.com/owners forum join the forum input that vin and it will show all the times its has seen a authorized toyota dealer for service. many times it will show the hybrid battery was condemned and the owner traded it in on the spot and off to auction it goes and then ends up on a used car lot on its last hybrid battery legs. Waiting for you.

padroo likes this.
  3. oldtechaa

oldtechaa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Alpha
    Model:
    N/A
    We would definitely need a bit more info about the chattering. If it sounded like a rattlesnake rattle every so often, that's not the transaxle; it's the brake pump.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    test drive a new one for comparison

jerrymildred likes this.
  5. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't think I've ever heard of the eCVT making any kind of sound like that. It's one of the most durable "transmissions" ever made, if not THE best. Failures are incredibly rare, but there have been a few.

Not knowing precisely the sound or when it happens, I also suspect the brake pump. It makes sort of a buzz when it periodically pressurizes the system. You would only hear it when you get in the car and when you're driving at very low speed.

I suggest driving another gen 2 and comparing the sounds it makes to see if what you're hearing is typical. Or find an experienced Prius owner to go with you.

padroo and Skibob like this.
  6. Tony714

Tony714 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Thanks everyone. Am new to online forums as well. The chatter happened only at low speeds, once at a right turn, I was At a full stop and then accelerated into traffic. Other time I was at a full stop and accelerated straight to see if I could recreate it. Read in other places to flush the tranny fluid and transaxle fluid

7. cnc97

cnc97 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    And the chatter could also be an ICE engagement/misfire. Especially if you have a lot of miles, might be the car saying that it needs a tune up. Even if you don’t get a Check Engine light on/flashing.

8. oil_burner

oil_burner Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    probably something else wrong with the car, not the CVT. Engine misfires don't sound like a chatter.

9. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    How many miles does the car have?
    There is a lot of good advice here, maybe just walk away from this one.

10. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Just drain and fill, never flush on a Prius. DIY is near $40, at a dealer near $100.
    There is only one fluid, the transmission part and the differential part both use it. 4 quarts of ATF WS and two gaskets/washers.

fuzzy1 and Raytheeagle like this.
  11. Tony714

Tony714 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Thanks again everyone. Edthefox5 thanks for the Toyota owners forum, I found out the Prius I was looking at had a bad cell in the battery and the owner never fixed it.

edthefox5 likes this.
  12. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    i greatly admire the Prius, but I would rather have happy non owners than unhappy owners.

13. prius_deep

prius_deep Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    loose / falllen heat shield?

14. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model: