1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Newbie with 2014 Pip

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Bigg Daddy, Oct 17, 2016.

1. Bigg Daddy

Bigg Daddy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hi guys, I just bought a 2014 pip with 22k miles a few days ago. It is my first hybrid vehicle. I have been lurking for a long time now and have learned a ton about the car. I commute about 100 miles a day (mostly highway). My question is when I put my pip on EV mode and I get on the interstate, I noticed that my EV miles drops. Once a pip is going 62+ mph does it deplete the EV battery first then go into HV mode? I have been turning EV mode off when I go on the interstate since I want to run EV once I'm off the interstate. Just curious if I am doing it the right way in order for me to use EV on the street (not interstate). Thanks in advance.

2. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Welcome big Daddy! I think you will find that you will get the best gas mileage by just driving your car in the normal mode. Also, find out what your mileage is doing it the "old school way" .....divide miles driven by gallons put in. Because you do so much highway driving, normal mode is most likely the best for you. And remember, you are driving a computer. The computer is programmed to get you the best mileage possible in all conditions. I found myself getting worse mileage by trying to out think my computer. Kept pushing the ECO, then the EV, then the PWR modes as needed. My gas mileage was a joke. Now, I just drive and let the computer do the thinking. Mileage is consistently 46 to 49. When I was trying to control it...........42.

Bigg Daddy likes this.
  3. gallde

gallde Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    It appears to me that when the ICE starts, either when passing 64 M/H or pressing the EV/HV button, the traction battery is used for the first minute or so until the ICE gets warm, then the traction battery stops draining - and even will come back up a bit, in my experience, though that may be due to regen.

Bigg Daddy likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats and welcome! best thing to do is hit hv a few minutes before the highway, that way, the engine is mostly warmed up, the ev miles are used while you're still on the side streets, and you won't use anymore on the highway.
    for instance, i have a 100 mile trip i do twice a week. 4 miles to the highway, and 2 when i get off. i hit hv after about 2 miles, but it still drives ev while the engine is warming. when i get off the highway, i go back to ev for those two miles. this routine uses all the ev miles on side streets by the time i get home. all the best!(y)

Bigg Daddy likes this.
  5. QuantumFireball

QuantumFireball Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Might be worth reading the manual if you haven't already done so. It has specific tips on this kind of driving scenario:

There are certain load conditions where it will be taking power from both the ICE and batteries, especially overtaking or accelerating to highway speeds - so you will often see the EV range drop in HV mode because of this.

Bigg Daddy likes this.
  6. PriusC_Commuter

PriusC_Commuter Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If I understand it correctly, you need to press the HV option to switch to normal hybrid operation, thus "saving" your EV range. If you leave it in EV range but drive above 62ish mph, it will still drain your battery. Press the HV button before getting on the freeway to save your EV range for afterwards.

Bigg Daddy likes this.