1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Newbie with a question about the Prius Prime

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Doogi_, Nov 19, 2018.

1. Doogi_

Doogi_ Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    My name is Derek and I’m about to buy my first brand new car ever. (Currently driving a 1997 Toyota Camry lol) so I’m looking to purchase the 2018 Prius Prime Advanced model. I’ve done all my research on it, but the ONLY thing I’m extremely worried about is the 11.6in display screen. The fact that most of the buttons (A/C, etc.) are only functional through the touch screen worries me because what if the touch screen breaks? I’ll have no control over much of anything anymore. And I can only imagine how much it would cost to repair a touch screen as big as that one. Does it make more sense to go with the Plus model that has actual physical knobs instead of all touch screen based? Or is this touch screen super reliable and not known to break very easily? I don’t want to be driving this car for the next 5-10 years and suddenly the touch screen stops working and then I'll regret not purchasing the basic Plus model. If anyone has any insight on this I would love your feedback! Thank you

2. Doogi_

Doogi_ Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
  3. schja01

schja01 One of very few in Chicagoland

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The touch screen is pricey to replace. In the range of $7000 or so. This concerned me as I too plan on keeping the car a long time. I purchased a 10 year service agreement that does cover this repair.
    Keep in mind with the exception of Navigation the major functions of the screen can also be done via the multi informational display that all Primes have.

eroeder likes this.
  4. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The buttons on the steering-wheel offer quite a bit of the functionality too. That redundancy of operation is commonly overlooked.

As for the screen ever needing repair or it being worth extremely expensive is unlikely. Large is becoming the norm in part due to it being robust & affordable.

eroeder likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i would go with the model that has knobs and buttons. but i'm not a touchscreen fan, aside from reliability and expense. prefer to keep my eyes on the road.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. Stradivarius Blackheart

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    This is what a Warranty Is for. Especially an Extended Warranty. I have never understood why people do not buy them.

A car ( For most people ) is the second largest investment they make next to a house.

I paid 3K for my extended warranty but you do some very simple math and you get an answer If you have to shell out 7000 or so for a repair and your 3K warranty pays for it. Just ONE repair covered buy that warranty and it pays for itself.

Further more many finance companies will want an extended warranty, they are protecting their investment, and it does not change the payment all that much.

If I recall correctly my payment changed about a Dollar with both The Service Plan & Warranty which extend out to the end of the contract.

In the past these Warranties used to be a sham and only covered very specific things. I am talking back in the 70's & 80's

I have already used mine once to get a new Tire and Wheel because a ( Curb Jumped Out In Front Of The Person I Let Drive It ) :(

7. m8547

m8547 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    As an anecdote, the touch screen navigation in my 2007 4runner still works fine (or as well as early 2000's era technology can work).

I still prefer physical buttons because they are easier to find without looking down, and easier to use with gloves on. The climate controls in the Plus are great.

bisco likes this.
  8. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    They might be expensive now but the price usually drops as technology advances. Plus used ones will enter the market as car get totaled, wear out.

9. eroeder

eroeder Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Love mine in 2018, but buy warranty online and save big dollars. Like $800 for 100k 0 deductible. Whole thread on this.

Now, had I known 2019 will apparently have a normal rest seat option and CarPlay, I might have waited a few months.

10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'd be happy as a clam, with a vehicle having completely manual, intuitive, ergonomic, eyes-on-the-road heating/ventilating controls.

I think there's a couple of reasons they're going to touch-screen:

1. Herd mentality: consumers expect a big screen. Or, they've been talked into expecting it?
    2. It's cheaper for the manufacturers, than taking the time and effort in designing robust/ergonomic manual controls.

Actually, maybe it's all one reason...

fuzzy1 likes this.
  11. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    After more than four decades of driving, buying eight cars in a multi-vehicle household, I have yet to have any car suffer enough repairs during the offered extended warranty period to have made the warranty worthwhile. Yes, I've paid a lot for certain repairs, but only after even the extended warranty periods had passed.

Thus, I've saved significant money by not purchasing such coverage. More than enough to cover several such in-period repairs.

(Disclosure: two of those cars are not yet beyond the offered extended warranties.)
    It shouldn't be. Retirement accounts / investments should vastly exceed any car 'investments' (expenses really). Maybe even exceed a house (also more an expense than an investment, as I've described in previous posts).

#11 fuzzy1, Nov 27, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
    skayaks likes this.
  12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the big screen is great for gps. other than that, i don't get it. unfortunately, the gps stinks.

if CarPlay puts google on the full screen, it will be well worth it for those who need gps.

13. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I watched a video review about the Lincoln Continental and it is loaded with manual switches and buttons for the old school folks but the controls for heat and A/C etc. had manual buttons and on the touch screen had another selection to do it by touch. The best of both worlds but that is what you get for $75,000.

14. schja01

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    You could still get a Buick with manual heat/cooling controls, column shifter, manual windows and a bench seat.

15. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You can?

16. schja01

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Not sure with the recent GM announcements.

17. Dylan Carpenter

Dylan Carpenter New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Please please please I need help what year prius is this from ?

Attached Files:

18. Stradivarius Blackheart

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    < It shouldn't be. Retirement accounts / investments should vastly exceed any car 'investments' (expenses really). Maybe even exceed a house (also more an expense than an investment, as I've described in previous posts).[/QUOTE] >

You missed the point on the second part where I said that a Car is most likely the second biggest investment, maybe I used the wrong word INVESTMENT. My 401K and the money I pay into Social Security does not drive me to work every day. They are a Monetary Investments where your Car is a Material One.

19. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Some new cars may have buttons and dials but most are electric switches anyway and are run by a $1000
    Electronic module.

20. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    >

You missed the point on the second part where I said that a Car is most likely the second biggest investment, maybe I used the wrong word INVESTMENT. My 401K and the money I pay into Social Security does not drive me to work every day. They are a Monetary Investments where your Car is a Material One.[/QUOTE]
    I refer to a car as an expense, not an investment.

Raytheeagle, padroo and fuzzy1 like this.