1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Newbie with bad battery, Calling all Engineers!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by freshedie92, Nov 3, 2014.

1. freshedie92

freshedie92 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    So as an update to this thread, I drove it 11 miles all street, last night. This morning i drove it 30 miles to work (~90% fwy), I don't know how long this will last but for now my car is working properly. It drives almost exactly the same as when I purchased it (3 months ago). My MPG so far is 49.4, up from ~47.

While getting off on an exit I was able to get 1 extra bar, pushing it to green (normal). While the battery was acting up I would get 2 more bars, and sometimes the battery began wasting energy. I was able to go from a stop to 35 mph sustained for quarter mile on battery. Overall I would say that I am pleased with my purchase thus far. I will post back if there are any changes, as well as an update after cycling the battery 3 times.

jeff652 likes this.
  2. jeff652

jeff652 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Excellent. Glad to hear things are looking up :) Hopefully the trend continues.

3. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    You can also mimic the dicharger function by using the car to discharge the pack to low SOC then give it another trickle charge.
    That is how it had to be done before the discharger attachment was added to the process.
    Then compare the results you get both before and after you cycle.
    In your case the initial trickle charge may be all that the pack needed.
    I'd recommend watching the weaker cells to see how well they perform after the initial charge, then again after you cycle.