1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Newer Member Intro and Question

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by dbat23, May 2, 2018.

1. dbat23

dbat23 Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Hello All,
    I'm overdue to introduce myself as a relatively new Prius owner. I actually picked up my 2011 Prius 2 in early January 2018, and have been driving it hard each day since. I have had a 2016 RAV4 Hybrid for 2 years, and now my wife drives that vehicle.

I bought my 2011 Prius with 71,000 miles from a private party. As I use my Prius for a delivery vehicle, it is on the road 7 days a week. Over the last 3 months, I've put 10,000 miles on it. I transferred the 7 year, 100k warranty from the previous owner, so I've got basically 8 months and 19k miles before my warranty runs out. Reading much of Prius maintenance advice here, I changed out the 12 volt battery (with the OEM Toyota battery) and plan to do fluids this week (trans, both coolants, and brake fluid, as well as lube the brake slide pins, etc.

I read up on the inverter concerns, and had one unusual occurrence that perhaps another member can help explain a possible cause. Back in January, I was driving at night and all of a sudden, both dome lights came on, dashboard triangle lit up along with chime sound, and a message displayed as "key detected in vehicle". All of this chaos lasted about 10 seconds, and then it disappeared. It would be good to know if that is something I should be concerned with, as I will take the vehicle in this week, and want to document it prior to end of the extended warranty. Any help or advice here is appreciated. Thanks all!

Burna J likes this.
  2. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to Prius Chat @dbat23. That sudden night fault you mentioned would have scared the flights out of me, but I can't help you with that. Soon the majority of north American membership should start to come online and they'll be more knowledgeable than me, so just wait awhile.

dbat23 likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

a little searching shows a number of possibilities, including phone interference, loose hatch lock, low fob battery and etc.
    it seems more random than regular.

RCO, dbat23 and jerrymildred like this.