1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Newest way to sell a house? Include a free Prius!

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Danny, Apr 11, 2008.

1. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    [​IMG]

What's the best way to sell a house in this tough market? In one neighborhood in a Denver suburb, the builder is including a free Prius.

The homes also include the "Built Green" designation.

Patio Homes by Boulder Creek at Erie Village: : HomeSales : Boulder Daily Camera

2. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Package zero, or fully-loaded? :clap2:

3. rpiereck

rpiereck Regenerator

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    That's a pretty creative way to sell a home, I must say. Package or no package it is a good deal to me. I bet the new owner still has to pay the sales tax on the car, just like when you win a car on a sweepstakes.

4. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Who in their right mind wants their car amortized into a 20 or 30 year loan. That'd bring your Prius' price (presuming you kept the car & house that long) up to over $75,000 by the time all is said & done ... and if you sell it (without putting that cash back into 'principal' of the loan) before the loan pay-off, you're still paying for a car that may have long ago been recycled into another car. Some areas of San diego are requiring builders (residential & commercial) to install photo electric panels into the home ... which would sure be great if every municipality required that. We could literally stop the need for most new power plants that way.

5. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    that's kind of what i was thinking. nothing's free- i'm sure the car's purchase price is somehow rolled into the mortgage.

personally, i'd rather they give me ~$25000 off the price of the home... :tape2:

6. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Still, it's a creative way to sell houses. :p

7. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm sure it's built into the price, but as Danny quoted in his post, it's a free two-year lease of a Prius, not a free Prius.

If I were considering moving to a suburb of Denver, this place sounds like it'd be worth checking out. Mixed population, relatively affordable (prices start in the low $200,000 range), right sized 'cottages' (not McMansions), energy efficient, etc.

8. Genoz World

Genoz World ZEN-style living

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Being a real estate broker, you have to be VERY careful about the "incentives" that are offered on the sale of the home.

some can offer FREE TRIPS TO HAWAII

some can offer some other free incentives

a brand new toyota prius????? maybe. as some of you think that the prius would be amortized over 30 years, OK, i see your point, but i think the owner (seller) of the property should pay for the entire purchase, a roundabout 30,000 incentive. Now, some of you say, I would rather take the price reduction..............OK again, but why not make an offer on the property AND call their incentive on a new prius?????????????????? why not???

the seller can do anything they want to do with their money, especially when the house has lots of equity, or better yet, paid OFF!!!!

ever think about that?

I recently reduced the price on a property that i had listed from $538,000 to $499,000...............that would have covered the cost of a fully loaded prius, BRAND NEW............without paying 30 years for it..............

it's marketing..........it's also the sellers choice.

9. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's right. The buyer can choose to counter-offer a lower price or a reduction in price equal to the value of a two year lease.

10. rpiereck

rpiereck Regenerator

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yet still... a creative way to sell a home ;)

11. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It is indeed very imaginative, all playing into the green motif, and we all like to feel that we're getting something "free." Who doesn't love getting the "free prize" in a box of Crackerjack? I'd negotiate the best price I could, and then ask for a further reduction instead of the "free" Prius lease. Because, as Hill points out you'd be paying for that lease over the 20 or 30 years of the mortgage.

Hill asks who in their right mind would do that? Answer: the 95% of Americans who are innumerate, or just so gullible that they really think the car is free!