1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Newly 2010 Prius Owner 40MPG

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by xILikeRice, Feb 25, 2022.

1. xILikeRice

xILikeRice New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I bought a 2010 Prius with roughly 151,000 miles and I was noticing I only get 40MPG. I usually have Eco-mode on and only drive in the city. I tested the battery expectancy life with Dr.Prius and it showed I only had around 37-38%. I'm hoping it being winter plays a factor in my low MPG. I was wondering if I should try to change the 12V battery? I don't know much else to do if someone can give me a few reccomendations!

2. 2010moneypit?

2010moneypit? Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Dr. Prius is estimating hybrid battery (big battery) health.

My Prius I only get 40 mpg. 200k and the original battery. I think I am in the same boat.

3. burebista

burebista Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Winter and city driving are not best friends to MPG. :)
    Wait a little for warmer weather and do an out of city trip. Your MPG should be better.

4. slowmachine

slowmachine Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would begin with the easy and obvious things. Properly inflated tires, per the label in the driver's door jamb. Clean air filter. Offload excess weight. Then get out of the city and take it for a decent 55-60 MPH drive. As previously mentioned, fuel efficiency suffers in cold weather, and with winter-formulated gasoline. I would think that the effects in Houston would be less severe than here in New England, but still measurable. All other things begin equal, lighter wheels, and lighter tires with low rolling resistance will provide the greatest fuel efficiency in stop-and-go city driving. On the highway, at mostly constant speed, the detrimental effect of heavier wheels and tires is negligible.

My primary car is a 2021 Prius Prime. Like you, though, I just purchased a well-used (and in my case, mostly dealer-maintained for 130,000 miles) 2010 Prius IV. This will be my youngest daughter's first car, and the one in which she will learn to drive. It is now my daily driver, so that I can find and fix any problems (like needing new shocks!) before she begins driving it. I have done most of my own car maintenance and repairs for the past 40 years, but no longer have an interest in anything but the simplest DIY work. If you haven't already done so, I would take it straight to the Toyota dealer and let one of their experienced technicians change the oil and have a look around the car. They see the same things, over and over, and will notice things that you, as a new and inexperienced owner, will not recognize. They will use the best and latest diagnostic tools to identify problems. It's a bargain, even if you only do it once.

5. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Welcome! And congrats.
    Contrary to a previous comment, city driving really is a hybrid's friend if you drive it intelligently. In my wife's 2017 I get about 60+ mpg in the city and about 52 on the interstate. And Houston only has winter for a few days every 30-40 years, so that's not a factor.

Checking the 12V is a good idea. Replacing it if it's bad is a good idea. But check it first. Remember that the first step in a screwup is always an assumption. :D

It's very likely that your reduced traction battery capacity is partly to blame for the disappointing gas mileage. But as slowmachine said, check the tire pressure and other things that can cause drag.

One major detriment to fuel economy in any car powered by internal combustion is short trips. Also, if you didn't know it already (apparently few drivers do know it), the biggest fuel waster is late, hard braking. When you do that you take kinetic energy that could have gone back into your battery as regenerated electricity to move you down the road again and you convert that energy to heat and brake dust. It just clobbers your mpg. This guide is for the 2nd generation Prius, but it applies well to your 3rd generation. I learned a bunch reading John's stuff. http://john1701a.com/prius/documents/Prius_User-Guide_iconic.pdf

mikey_t likes this.
  6. xILikeRice

xILikeRice New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OK I see, I'll check for that! Another thing is that my range estimates that a full tank gives around 520 miles, but as I drove it around, it decreased at a significant rate. I'm currently a single bar above the half mark icon and it has 313 miles left, is that normal for a car like this? The MPG is still around 40.8 so I was just wondering if that is calculated correctly.

7. slowmachine

slowmachine Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It never hurts to verify the accuracy of the Guess-O-Meter (GOM) with hand-calculated MPG numbers for a few fill-ups. I’d be focusing on the 12V battery, as low voltage can cause problems with many systems in any modern car. Until then, just fill it up when you get down to 1/4 tank.

xILikeRice likes this.
  8. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Any fuel guage is just an estimate of remaining fuel. It will all depend on how you drive.
    And what condition your engine is in. Time of year... several things.

xILikeRice likes this.
  9. royrose

royrose Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    That's true overall but short trips in winter are mileage killers because MPG is poor until the engine warms up.

37% on Dr Prius is very low. Is it the original battery? It could be good for you to post a screen shot of the battery monitor page for us to comment on.

I recently traded my 2010 Prius with 105,000 miles, was getting in the low 40's.

xILikeRice likes this.
  10. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  11. xILikeRice

xILikeRice New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    [​IMG]
    It always fluctuates so I'm not sure if this is an accurate reading.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

12. royrose

royrose Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I'm not an expert on this but it looks like it's hanging in there.

BTW, I meant my MPG was in the low 40's. With Dr. Prius my battery was in the 50s.

13. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yup. That's pretty much what I said, but also said Houston doesn't have much in the way of "winter." Still, short trips are a killer. Example: most of my wife's driving is 10 miles or shorter. She averages about 52 mpg. Last week she went to a place about 20 miles away and stayed off of the death trap we call US 19. She got 70 mpg.

14. nicoj36

nicoj36 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You need a tuneup, new spark plugs. And replace all fluids specially transmission. Both engine and inverter coolant. And also engine oil. Also reset your computer as well by disconnecting the battery overnight. Guarantee you'll be back to 50 mpg.

mikey_t likes this.
  15. drbtz

drbtz Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    III
    @PriusCamper got my into looking at voltage diff. when analyzing Dr. Prius screenshots.

At 0.20V your battery is certainly starting to get old. It probably spikes past 0.40V while driving so it may be time to consider replacing or balancing the battery.

PriusCamper likes this.
  16. abdullah arslan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    After my service in the past summer, which are new 12V battery, OCC install, intake cleaning, new ICE coolant, rear rotor & pads replacement (this made huge effect because previous pads were dragging). My 2010 @256k didn't go below 43mpg during the cold IN winter. And yesterday, after the gas fill-up, it showed 60+ mpg to drive back home for an 11-mile trip. Surely it was already warmed-up until gas station in nice weather.
    ECO mode doesnt matter, use it in normal mode in the city. And maintain that car very carefully, because it's (2010 and 2011 years) very prone to have serious problems if you dont care. And the story starts with irregular oil changes. Never ever exceed more than 5k. I only use Penzzoil Ultra Synthetic and Mobil 1 Extended. Thanks to this forum, I learned everything from scratch

17. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Doesn't help much, if at all, and in my esperience makes it harder to modulate, way too much pedal travel.

That could be a significant factor. Start window-shopping hybrid batteries. Being in the States, there's $1600 with free shipping option that's very interesting: new prius batteries. They're available for second and third gen. From what I've read the install manual is mostly written for second gen, a little fuzzy regarding third gen.

18. ToyXW

ToyXW Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    ECO mode primarily makes the throttle feel more sluggish to encourage you to accelerate more slowly. If you accelerate equally, ECO mode won't help - it'll just make you push the pedal farther for the same acceleration.

But ECO mode also makes the AC a little less effective, which improvement mpg slightly if you are using the A/C.

19. xILikeRice

xILikeRice New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm debating if it's worth buying a new battery. I changed how I drove and I'm getting a constant 46MPG! I bought the car for $5,200 as a replacement car for a car that was totaled by another driver. I started to notice I get 500 miles as my range every fill up but every 10 miles I drive, the range reduces by 20?

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  20. JSB_99

JSB_99 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The mileage going down double seems to be normal. Mine will say any where from 540 to 580 for a tank and I get about 410 to 450. Last tank I got 44 MPG calculated although the dash said i averaged 46 to 47 usually. Filled up this morning and it said 541. Drove 30 miles to work and my new distance to empty was 488.