1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Newly Installed HiD won’t Dim!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Walt153, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Walt153

Walt153 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Howdy, Foax!

Just replaced the HiD bulbs in our 2005 Prius for the first time. Unhappily, though both bulbs operate, the driver’s side bulb has no “low beam.” Could this be a defect in my installation? (Of course, I realize that I can resort to the old bulb-swapping routine, and I will do this if necessary, but given the effort required to perform that trick I thought it best to ask here first!)

Thanx & best regards, Walt

2. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The low beam/ high beam function is performed by a moving mirror inside the headlight assembly, and is not a function of the HID bulb itself. I would look for a plug or wires that were changed in the process of doing the bulb.

3. Walt153

Walt153 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Great idea, nh7o! (Sorry for the late response: I was sidelined by two funerals and a week-long illness; ain’t Life just full of little surprises?) I saw the “mirror” as I inserted and aligned the HiD bulb – it’s seems to be a paper-thin foil with a number of “fingers,” but the Bentley manual’s exploded drawing (p. 10-14) does not clearly identify this. Am I correct in assuming that the HiD Headlight Control Module (aka “ballast” and/or “mini-computer”) controls this mirror? If so, am I also correct in supposing that the only way to pursue this repair is by removing the entire headlight assembly?