1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Newpriusbatterys Out of business?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by edthefox5, Jul 27, 2020.

1. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Good to hear it's back up and operational :).

And also good to find the cause of the issue;).

Now to sell the old modules and Prolong equipment and make the purchase even more cost effective (y).

2. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Glad you got it all figured out. The sounds of clicking or not clicking connectors can haunt your dreams. After the safety plug being #1 whoops during install, missing a single connector from being pushed in all the way is the next. I get it, just like when I call tech support because I need them to set me a new config to the modem and they tell me to turn it off and on again I internally think "I know this isn't the problem, I am not doing this". I am sure most people don't heed the advice of disconnect the connectors and reconnect them making sure to listen for a click!

Back on the road at last! We do actually recommend a 2x4 wooden setup in the manual and email, so glad that worked out for you!

3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks 2k.

A really really nice piece of engineering there sir fits perfectly high quality everything. I highly recommend it.
    I cannot imagine how many phone calls it took to get to that design level but it sure is appreciated by the end user me.

Took it for its first 20 mile shake down cruise.

Oh boy its awesome. I got power I got mileage I got it all. Stayed at solid 5 blue bars the whole way solid green at the end. Did a 10 mile mpg check and at 60 miles average speed it got 53 mpgs. Haven't seen that in years.Wife was giddy lol....
    She loves this little car.

Here's the unexpected benefit. My ac lately was just not getting as cold as it used too. Blowing pretty cold if you held your hand up to it no leak just not freezing like it used too. There is now a really big improvement noticed by my wife in the ac its back to super cold turn it down a little. Did not expect that makes sense though. Most of the power comes from the battery. My propped up for 3 years Prolonged battery did not have anywhere near the power it used to. Understandable.

It really goes when i punch it now. But really nice additional thing to enjoy.

Thank you very much sir i will leave a nice review on this. I love well engineered products. And this is one.

4. Frank1234

Frank1234 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Really nice, I will be curious to know another type of test someone else here suggested that will be not affected by a million factors, the way it’s is little bit like dr Prius that time how long the car battery take to drop until certain level, so if you park you car with 7 bars and start a timer at the drop to 6 bars till the drop to 5 bars with the car in “D” with only the parking brake and everything else off, not foot on brake pedal, how long it hold the bar 6 with you new battery, this test only can be affected by temperature so you can share the temperature also, like I said I just curious, this test can be very helpful even for you self to keep record of any degradation of the battery.

By the way I want to share some pictures of a 14 miles trip half at expressway average 60 mph and half local average 40 mph with a 20 minute stop and car off at half of trip for a quick grocery shopping, as I can tell miles while driving certainly are not a easy comparison, picture is from my 2006 with original pack and only one full prolong reconditioning 14 years old battery air conditioner was off.

Attached Files:

#84 Frank1234, Aug 19, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2020
  5. Robc921

Robc921 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    This is great to hear about your new pack, mine is in transit and hearing this review is great! Excited to hopefully replicate your experience @edthefox5 !!

6. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Without the mistakes I hope. ;)

7. Robc921

Robc921 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hmmm, I must have skimmed what are those mistakes you speak of, I definitely am interested in avoiding them!

8. Robc921

Robc921 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    NM I see what your talking about,,, make sure everything is plugged back in and listen for the click

Prodigyplace and edthefox5 like this.
  9. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Remove the ecu box. Search carefully for any corrosion.

With magnifier look at all the connectors both make and female. Take the cover off the ecu box check out the circuit board. I was lucky mine looked pristine.

It does not come with a new sensor harness so treat that very carefully, put that aside and install it last.
    Look at that carefully for any corrosion. If sensor bad you will have to take that box back out.
    They will be mounted in the top of the assy where the stock is on the bottom. Upon final assy I checked all 4 of the sensors with an ohmeter.

Do you know how to use an ohm meter and volt meter.? Do you have a 1/4 inch impact gun like a Dewalt with hex to 1/4 and 3/8 socket adapter? That will really speed it up with an impact gun.

On the new battery’s they have these small black loose plastic collars. Those are the mounts for the sensors.

Battery was very easy it fits perfectly I struggled with the case passenger side case reassembly as I tore thru on dismantle and didn’t pay attention 2 days later forgot how it went and was very tired very sore and very hot
    And very frustrated as it was the most humid day in weeks.
    If your stuck doing it outside like me get a big box fan.

On the passenger side of the box there’s the top case the bottom case and little metal bracket in between and 2 black plastic blower vents Pay attention how that goes the rest is very easy. Take a lot of pictures of that.

I had to remove some Prolong gear first before box removal so removed the Prolong blower power supply assy and in my haste didn’t push a plug back in all the way. You won’t be dealing with that.

And lastly unplug the 12 volt battery like the instructions say. Don’t take the battery out.

Good luck.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  10. Robc921

Robc921 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I appreciate that, and will reach out if I get stuck. I’ve removed my own pack a few times now so hopefully the different configuration will still seem somewhat intuitive. I was sent an install pdf. Just out of curiosity did you install on a gen 2 or 3?

edthefox5 likes this.
  11. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Oh you have had the box out already. If I did mine again it would take 20 mins.

Mine is a 2007 G2. Some of the instructions included are not G2 specific so took a few glances at it.

To me the box was the hard part the new battery install itself was easy. Everything fits perfect. The 2 safety switch wires had to bent a little bit on mine which may mean they fit perfectly for a G3.

When finished with the battery and still on your bench put the safety plug back in and check what you have on the battery side of the relay. Mine was 214. Polarity correct on the relay. No smoke no flames your good. THEN Remove the safety switch!!!!

Maybe the G3 box is easier to mount then a G2. Bet it is fixed all there mistakes on the G3.

Good Luck!!

Looks like we got a Hurricane & a TD coming at both of us soon. Texas has had a rough time with storms and flooding. We have been lucky since Irma. I was without power for 9 days on Irma. My backyard looked like a bomb exploded.

12. Robc921

Robc921 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Oh a fellow Texan? Where you from sir? And the ohm reader is the voltmeter put on a different setting? I know ohms measure resistance, but if you know exactly how I should be using it to verify I’ve connected everything properly that would be a great insight. But the pack isn’t here yet. It arrives Saturday evening probably. Thanks for reaching out btw.

edthefox5 likes this.
  13. Robc921

Robc921 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Oh I see now, you’re in Florida, yep we’re having one of those summers!

edthefox5 likes this.
  14. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not sure how it is on a G3 but all the battery heat sensors go into one specific plug on the battery ecu. There all mounted on the underside of the battery's on a G2. One on the torsion bar rail.

I would imagine the G3 is the same. NPB does not include a new sensor cable and many warnings in the manual about how tender the sensors are so be careful with them. I mounted all mine on the top. Its the last thing you should do.
    When i was done mounting the batterys all wired up sensors installed as a last check I used 2 sewing needles plugged into each pair of sensor wires on there plug holes to measure each sensor impedance. Just touched my dvm probes to the 2 needles. Tiny holes on plug to small for the dvm probes. Then moved the needles to the next pair.
    All 4 of mine measured the same like 8.5 K Ohms (8500 ohms) which meant the sensor is good and the wires are good.
    The impedance may be different on a G3 but on a G2 they all measured the same impedance.
    Yours should too.
    3 go to the battery's 1-7-14 the other goes to the tension rail on a G2.

There's many warnings in the manual about them. It got my attention. If any break off your screwed the battery will not work without all the sensors reporting. It will throw the RTOD.

When done I installed the sensor plug into the ecu. Final sanity test put safety plug in test B+ at the battery side of the relay 214 volts polarity good on the correct side of the relay good to go pull the safety plug install the box.

Many g2 sensors cables are corroded on a G2. Probably less likely on a G3. I was very lucky mine were clean. My car is garaged.

15. Robc921

Robc921 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Appreciate the share. Hopefully I won’t need to much extra assistance but I’ll be reaching if I do!!

16. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Good luck!

If you have done a few G3's you know more about it then i do.

17. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Shouldn’t they do that first instead of last?

18. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    lol yes they should it was my to do list before starting the job...long list lol...

Prodigyplace likes this.
  19. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Do you write user instructions fir a living? :ROFLMAO:
    Don’t you hate it when you try to follow step by step and then see something like that at the end?

Some non-native English speakers may have taken that literally and wondered what to do next. :eek:

kenoarto likes this.
  20. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I looked at that what you were talking about and what I meant was don't take the battery out or disconnect the negative cable
    I said UNPLUG THE 12 VOLT BATTERY LIKE THE INSTRUCTIONS SAY.

Its not like you inferred where i said to unplug it at the end. Didn't know I was under such a microscope on my posts here.
    But maybe its just you.

royrose and Prodigyplace like this.