1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

News Flash (Kinda)

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by EyePrime, May 1, 2018.

1. EyePrime

EyePrime Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Toyota added the big 11.6-inch display to their regular Prius!

What do you think about this? I am ok with it. I think as long as the car itself dosent look the same as the Prime, I am completely fine with what they do.

I think it's a good thing because, If they get more sales because of this screen it will make them more money so they can spend more on the research and development of ev technology.

(Watch the full video)

2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Maybe ....

3. EyePrime

EyePrime Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Very true But there are 2 of these ads with the big screen

4. juhjuhjuhjames

juhjuhjuhjames Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    When I went to the dealership a couple days ago, they said this display is only available in the Prius four. Even the prime plus didn’t have it, had to go up to the premium (which was actually cheaper than the four). These were 2018 models, so maybe it’s different for the upcoming 2019?

5. EyePrime

EyePrime Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I think its a teaser for 2019.
    Maybe you should wait for the 2019.

This was also leaked
    https://images.hgmsites.net/med/rendering-of-possible-design-update-for-2019-toyota-prius-liftback-source-carsensor-net_100649379_m.jpg
    https://media.caradvice.com.au/image/upload/c_fill,q_auto,f_auto,w_auto,ar_16:9/c_scale,l_ca_watermark,o_50,h_0.1,x_0.05,y_0.05,fl_region_relative,g_south_east/qeqgyovggopf0bafal5x.jpg

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    is there a thread on satisfaction with the big screen? all i read about is complaints.

EyePrime likes this.
  7. EyePrime

EyePrime Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    lol

bisco likes this.
  8. SaraBBrown94

SaraBBrown94 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I was watching some news guy talking about car stuff and he was inside a regular prius with the larger screen. The interior was the same as a Prime's entirely and since the video started out inside the car, I thought it was a prime until the got out of the car and walked around to the back. (and the hideous back lights were visible.)

9. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I like it.

10. Digloo2

Digloo2 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I think it SUCKS. It's the most horribly designed mis-fitting piece of crap anybody could imagine putting into a vehicle. It *LOOKS* really great. But so what? As a driver, you're FORCED TO LOOK AT IT TO DO ANYTHING!

This is a MAJOR DISTRACTION!

How long will it be before someone is killed while trying to adjust something on this display and they sue Toyota and the vendor who designed this stupid thing?

First, they really need to implement a setting that makes it less sensitive, so you need to press on it for some adjustable amount of time, say at least 1/2 second, before it recognizes your touch. Right now a flick of your fingernail on a random part of the screen will trigger something, then you need to spend an inordinate amount of time figuring out what happened and how to get back to where you were.

But what I really want is real knobs and buttons that I can reach out and touch and manipulate without having to take my eyes off the road. I want TACTILE FEEDBACK!

The way this is designed, it's impossible to do anything without looking at the damn thing. That's fine for a passenger (which I never have), but the worst design possible for drivers. It should go dark and ignore touches while the vehicle is moving! As it's currently designed, it's a lawsuit waiting to happen.

bb4srv, crimsontime, bisco and 4 others like this.
  11. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Wow...

I like it because I leave it in map most almost all the time, and it's nice to have a moving map with traffic always available.

The HVAC settings are so simple that I mostly just leave it in auto and adjust temperature with the side buttons. Once in a very great while I have to mess with the HVAC but it's so simple to use I find I can do it faster and with less distraction with the touch screen than I could with the manual controls on my other cars.

The music/radio settings system is so badly designed that it's basically unusable so I just use the wheel-mounted buttons to change the station or volume or use the voice control for USB music.

Basically, for me, the screen requires so little physical interaction that I find its benefits dramatically outweigh its costs. I don't have Entune or use any of the other features of the screen unless I'm stopped.

Nic Steussy, heiwa and bitbender like this.
  12. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    For me a news flash would be if they drop-kicked all these screens off the end of the driveway, and went back to ergonomic, easy to reach and use without looking, basic controls. Not holding my breath though.

orenji likes this.
  13. Diemaster

Diemaster Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    ...a better infotainment system?:whistle::ROFLMAO:

14. SaraBBrown94

SaraBBrown94 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Same. I like the giant map and traffic information. You dont even need to go into the settings for HVAC stuff 99% of the time. Want to turn it on? Double touch the front defrost button and the HVAC will turn on. Audio can all be changed with the mode on the steering wheel and dash controls. The touch screen is much more simple than it seems once you get used to it and if you really don't like it, you don't even have to use it. Everything can be controlled through the steering wheel and the other screen.

heiwa, benagi and EyePrime like this.
  15. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ditto

I was contemplating taking back my Premium model to trade it with Plus model. Then realized, even Plus model comes with touch panel albeit smaller. Except when I have to turn on/off the climate control which is set at 70F AUTO and never change, and every once in a while I like to listen to music, I have my screen turned off. Don't use Entune, Don't use Nav, Don't look any of Energy Info.

#15 Salamander_King, May 2, 2018
    Last edited: May 2, 2018
  16. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes that was added to the 2018 US models. It's standard on the Prius Four and Four Touring. Canada is sticking with the 7" for the Technology and Touring trim levels.

17. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Yes, my friend's Tech package has the "tiny" screen. ;)

I want to know how the guy who kills himself crashing manages to sue Toyota? Can the dead get a lawyer? ;)

18. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I think they can get away with it, because it's a very subjective thing.

Similar pet peeve of mine: front turn lights tightly integrated into headlight shell. Especially in Canada with day time running lights, it's sometimes nigh impossible to see the signal light's pulse in the headlight glare. Takes concerted/protracted look to make it out, which is not good.

bisco likes this.
  19. SteveMucc

SteveMucc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    there's a sensitivity setting in settings...

and if you really want almost anything (except phone) can be done using the mfd (stereo, ac, etc.).

I like the system. it took me about a half day to figure it all out and now I don't have the think at all when I want to do something.

20. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Are you really that poorly informed? No one else is ranting or going on about lawsuits, because they know that isn't true.

THE BUTTONS ON THE STEERING-WHEEL ALLOW YOU TO ADJUST SETTINGS, WHICH ARE SHOWN ON THE SMALLER SCREEN NEAR THE WINDSHIELD.

Everything essential is redundant on the large screen. You don't need to look down or even reach over. Your claim is quite incorrect.