1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

News item - its expensive to fill up a hummer

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by austingreen, Feb 26, 2012.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Do we know it's the I-5 version and not the V8 version? Neither are particularly efficient at 15 mpg combined and 14 mpg combined, respectively.

If he'd bought an 08 FEH 4WD, it'd have almost double the FE at 28 mpg combined while having more cargo room than the H3 to boot (2010 Hummer H3 Interior | U.S. News Best Cars vs. 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid Interior | U.S. News Best Cars).

However, I think Hummer gets a bad name from the monsters below.

2. Keiichi

Keiichi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    No... You need to read further before assuming I proved your point.

I quoted also specs on the H3... It's MPG is 18 MPG tops, combined is closer to 15-16, where the MANUAL is worse than the automatic (Normally, manual has a bit better MPG) And that is GOING off the 5 Cylinder, not the v6 engine. For the 22.3 Gal tank to have almost as much range as my old Nissan Sentra 4 cyl engine from 1996 for almost TWICE the tank.

If someone is driving that kind of car as a commuter and complaining about the cost to fuel it up... I don't have sympathy for them. The SUV was not designed to be a 'commuter' vehicle. The cost to drive one of those vehicles is more for the purpose of the vehicle and how often you should be 'fueling' it up shouldn't be the issue if it was used for the purpose in question.

But if you want to complain about needing to spend close to $60-80 bucks almost on a weekly basis, if not more if you are doing more than 20mi commutes one way, it is damn obvious it is a gas guzzler.

Will you see me driving my Prius v offroading or trying to tow heavy loads? Hell no. The Prius v, let alone the Prius, is not ideally designed for it.

Is Rep West driving his Hummer into the mountains, or doing recreational things with his Hummer H3 on a daily basis? If he is, I think the people he is representing him should be a little more worried about how he is representing them. But if he is driving to the capitol with said vehicle, over a distance, I question why use a car that would help hike the cost of gas by burning more of it instead of using a car with a better mpg, unless he is carpooling with a bunch of people with him.