1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

News on 2005 Prius models?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by bookrats, Mar 12, 2004.

1. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    No predictions, but it would not surprise me a bit if they waited until the '05s were on the lot to announce the changes, features, and options (if any). The reason? Once they announce any changes, some folks will want to wait for the new model, and the value of the old model will drop accordingly. Maybe they'll make the announcement a week ahead. On the other hand, it's entirely possible there won't be any changes at all. Why change a car that already has a one-year waiting list of people clamoring to buy it?

2. Sun__Tzu

Sun__Tzu New Member

I'm betting there are at least a few minor changes. I think Toyota's philosophy is to constantly seek improvement. Really, there was no reason to come out with the Prius in the first place, but they did it anyway.

3. boa8

boa8 New Member

Right, but make no mistake, first of all Toyota seek improvements which directly contribute to their bottom line. Customer is never first. That's why they make more money than Big Three combined, not because they are "nice guys".
    I think they are not going to come up with new features, options until 2006. Moreover, regional options restrictions will be more evident as it helps to simplify logistics and therefore to save money. Some options may become standard to mask inevitable price increases.

Again, Toyota is NOT a charity, but shrewd (nothing wrong with that) corporation.
    Prius is a long term bet and part of a bold strategy which in case of success will make Toyota de-facto standard setter (and royalties recipient) for next-generation cars.

4. jchu

jchu New Member

However much anybody agrees or not with boa8's views (and I cannot totally fault a business approach, but am also aware of some positive initiatives Toyota has in the works) What our car dealership told us yesterday when we put in an order for our 2nd Prius (due to the currently reported 18 month wait) is that Toyota is trimming their options pkgs down to #3's, #7's, and #9's; or at least that is all they expect to see as available for the '05 model year.

5. bookrats

bookrats New Member

I've read similar stories from various dealers, but each account lists different option packages that they will be reduced to.

I assume some of this is the regional nature of options packages (as discovered by going to the Toyota Prius web site and typing in your ZIP code), e.g., Seattle '04 options are only #1, #7 and #9. Different areas of the country get different options packages.

6. boa8

boa8 New Member

It's typical...

You simply unable to see a bigger picture.

7. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    There was an excellent reason to come out with the Prius: Be the first to capture an important market niche: moderate environmentalists willing to spend money on conservation and pollution-reduction, but not willing to settle for a small car.

8. Medved

Medved New Member

Actually, I don't believe that it is a niche vehicle. I think the reason the Prius is so popular, is because it offers so much to everyone, with little to no compromises, and delivers so much more than a traditional vehicle. It appeals to many people, not just the environmentalists. I for one, am buying it for all of the advanced features. SE/SS, NAV, bluetooth, stealth. The cost of fuel is a minor factor, when you actually calculate the amout of savings vs. a very efficient vehicle, but nothing it's "class" comes close to it. I consider it a bargin at MSRP.

Anyway, my bank opens in 10 minutes, so I must head out to pick up my money, and head toward the dealership to pickup my Prius.

My next post will be long I am sure . . . if all goes well.

Later

9. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    how about a sunroof? if i cant get solar panels on the car then i want a sunroof!

10. adrenalinwill

adrenalinwill New Member

ooooohhhhh, solar panels. That would be incentive enough to install the EV button if solar panels increase my milage to 1 Billion miles per gallon.

11. 8AA

8AA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    When would you ever get to use a sunroof or solar panels in Washington State ? :)

12. Mybrid

Mybrid New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:
    This be my wish for '05!

:computer: :wave:

13. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    all the time!!

well, this year anyways....

people who say that global warming isnt a threat obviously dont live in WA St. We have had warm sunny weather for nearly all of April and May.

we are set for major trouble come july. My sis used to work for DNR is fire control and they have had 90 wild fires so far this year. Normal totals for May is 15.

I am a member of Bally's Gym simply because in previous years, the weather sucked for outside activity usually into June. Well ive gone from going to the gym 6 days a week to going about 2 days a week. In Olympia, we have had 3 days of rain in the past month and less than 10 days of rain since the end of march. (that is unheard of around here especially since we average 20 days of rain in april alone.)

there is an article in the New York Times in the Science section entitled "Letters from the Artic"
    it is in a diary form and details various scientific projects going on up there. One of the projects measures the flow of ice into the ocean. For centuries (the age of the ice cap in Greenland is estimated at 120,000 years) the rate of flow has been steady at 7 meters per year. However, in the past 5 years that rate has increased to 24 yards per year. Currently scientists are performing extra studies and observations to verify that their measurements are accurate. Also in a certain area inland, there is an area that up until this year had not thawed a single drop of water in 8,500 years. But this year the ice is melting and its only May. and....

oh i better stop now or ill get booted to the environmental forum.

14. adrenalinwill

adrenalinwill New Member

Time to move to So. Cal! 300 days of sunshine a year......usually only rains at night and is sunny by the morning!

I think that's why there's a drought, wild fires, and rolling black outs. :mrgreen:

15. plusaf

plusaf plusaf

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    hey, nice wheels.... what brand and size, do you know?
    and is that a side-marker/directional?
    from whom/where?

nice car!
    best wishes for your wishes to come true!

or how did you create the photo?
    :)

16. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    That was the home-market Prius version. The side reflector seems to be standard there. The Mirror Turn Indicators are an option, and can be bought after-market from Toyota. I wonder if they'd fit on ours. Next time someone has the doors off see if there are any extra wires running to the Rearview mirror. :)

17. bookrats

bookrats New Member

I assume the dark midnight-blue color was done with Photoshop or something? Or is this a color they release in other parts of the world?

I know the Prius Classic came in this color (think it was added to the color list after the model had been out for a year.)

18. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    No, that color is available in Japan. Bummer it's not here though... it is a nice color.

19. Mybrid

Mybrid New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
    Very good someone has been watching!
    I know that the color is called Blue mica in Japan Only(@ this time).
    I also know that this car has been lowered with a springs package, don't remember the drop measurement. I could only guess @ the rim size.
    Side marker lights are on fenders there and in headlight assy. here.
    Signal mirrors not yet available here. Quite the wish list :?:
    Oh ya I forgot the full ground effects package and the side window vent visors. I think that will take care of it for now.
    :computer: :wave:

Ya need to check out the other thread for the rear spoiler.

20. bwalkhouse

bwalkhouse New Member

placed an order last week in Alberta, and was told I would be getting a 2005. Very little expected for changes to the Canadian market. Got a call today that I'm now getting a 2004 and it would be about 8 weeks!