1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

News Story to keep an Eye on...Lexus Hybrid SUV Explodes

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Yankees251, Feb 4, 2009.

1. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Click and type is my motto. :madgrin:

2. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Um, you're being rhetorical again ....

3. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Nice link. Makes me want to rush out and beat the living s*** out of a Chevy or GMC truck owner

4. Soylent

Soylent The v isn't a station wagon! It's just big boned

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    When CNN first posted the article, they said the cause of the explosion was unknown. That's why the initial posters are making guesses.

5. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

Autoblog also run "DEVELOPING NEWS" article on how initial reports show to the hybrid system as the cause... I laughed pretty hard on that, those fanboys really wanted it to happen :).

First tell sign for anyone should be that it was in front of the vehicle, and not at the back... 2nd, did anyone ever hear of nimh hybrid batteries exploding, even in hard accidents? I didnt, and I am sure that Prius has crashed hard, several thousand times.

6. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh my god, a hybrid exploding, that scares me.
    I haven't read any of the posts in this thread just type and click, thats me.
    There are some un-nice people out there huh?

7. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My father is on the Arkansas Nursing board section of the state medical board that this physician was the head of. My father is suspicious that it may be a medical person who had their license revoked recently and was disgruntled.

Certainly a full investigation is needed and there may be other motives. In the mean time the doctor is in critical care. This was a very serious attempt on his life.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Video:http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/player/popup/?rn=3906861&cl=11869174&ch=4226713&src=news
    Bomb critically wounds head of Ark. medical board - Yahoo! News

8. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I wonder what injured him...the damage all looks to be front end. The windshield is intact suggesting no major blast inside the cabin. Shrapnel is a possibility I guess.

9. samiam

samiam Antipodean Prius Poster

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    He probably had a heart attack when he realised that his car insurance doesn't cover bombs.

10. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I was watching "The Godfather, Part II" when I learned that Italian cars explode.

11. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    If it was a classic pipe bomb, the frag can really do a lot of damage to a vehicle underneath, and especially to "soft" targets.

Especially if you use nails, they act like flechettes and easily penetrate a conventional vehicle body structure and go into skin, bone, and organs.

Not only does an unprotected individual have exposure to the initial blast, but the frags can cause substantial soft tissue damage, severed arteries and veins, traumatic amputation of digits, toes, limbs, and other things best left unsaid. You're a doc, I'm sure I don't have to spell it out for you. The ballistic simulant tests I've witnessed were pretty horrific, I actually couldn't sleep well for a long time after

The damage we see is mostly superficial, but we haven't seen any up-close damage. I suspect it will be a long time before we see the upclose pix, if we ever do

For example: it's fairly easy to make a "shaped" charge in crude form. It can either be on a timer or on a switch. I would set it to work off the courtesy lamp when the door is opened. One can design the IED to ensure most of the blast and frags are directed towards the firewall and driver floorpan area, which would cause horrific damage to bone and soft tissue

Let's all hope the doctor pulls through. I really hope they find who did this, and make that person suffer

12. PriusSport

PriusSport senior member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I wish some of you guys would stop emulating the media with sensationalism not grounded in fact. Hybrids have been driven millions of miles, and driven as or even more safely than conventional cars. One of the strong points of the Prius is it has the best reliability record of all cars in Consumers Reports. And this thread isn't even a Prius.

13. romad

romad 2004 Prīus Base Former Owner (Sold 13 May 22)

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A news report I heard out here in the PRC, was that the blast threw him out of the car and into a flower bed. Also, it was reported that a second person had been injured. Last, they said that the "bomb" was either designed to go off when the vehicle was started or when it was placed in motion. So how he was injured is a mystery unless someone else started to drive it while the doctor was outside.

14. romad

romad 2004 Prīus Base Former Owner (Sold 13 May 22)

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

15. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I could care less if somebody blew up a hybrid car. Any asshat who makes a pipebomb has the express purpose of maiming/killing people, they should be turned into catfood

16. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    anything is possible, i personally think sex has something to do with it. he was on the state medical review board so ya, he could have pissed off a few here and there

17. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    From the Today show this morning, the bomb was planted underneath the car near the left front of the SUV. The doctor was hurt when he approached the car, not inside the car. so it must be triggered by a trip wire or by remote control.

It also mentioned he supervises medical board licensing. So someone must be rejected and pissed off.

18. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Perhaps using a pipe bomb suppository.

Tom

19. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  20. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'd go for that

Wonder how it was triggered? I assumed he was already in the car, thus my comment about using the courtesy light switch as a trigger

The trigger could have been an infrared light beam, that was how the Red Army got the President of DeutschBank in the mid 1980's. Otherwise, a remote control also is highly probable.

If the asshat is caught, it will be either capital punishment or life in the crowbar slammer