1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

NewsWeek debunks its own Global Warming Story

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by TimBikes, Aug 14, 2007.

1. TimBikes

TimBikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jweale @ Aug 14 2007, 03:49 PM) [snapback]495674[/snapback]</div>
    OK - because Greenpeace has an annual budget of $100 million, Sierra Club has an annual budget of $100 million, NRDC has a $70 million annual budget and they are just 3 of the many environmental advocacy groups focused on global warming.

So those three groups spend in one year 17x what Exxon is claimed to have spent in its measly $16 million effort over the course of 7 years.

Make no mistake, these are advocacy groups every bit as much as Exxon - except of course only Exxon actually pays any taxes. ;)

2. TimBikes

TimBikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jweale @ Aug 15 2007, 09:29 AM) [snapback]496195[/snapback]</div>
    Transparent? :lol: Try telling that to Steve McIntyre and the folks who tried to get access to NASA's US temperature data set so that he could analyze and peer review the results.

See here...

3. jweale

jweale Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TimBikes @ Aug 15 2007, 03:23 PM) [snapback]496321[/snapback]</div>
    Yes it is, and I said that in my original post. I am not familiar with the talking heads I have just been following the science. In about 1995 at the UW I attended an interesting climate change lecture that ended with the prof saying that we still didn't know for sure exactly why the climate was changing, the balance of natural versus anthropomorphic forcings, and that was what they were looking into. A dozen years ago, there were a number of well formed areas to be researched to support or disprove climate change hypothesizes. They're long done now, ocean temps taken, ice cores drilled, sediment investigated, satellites launched, computing power increased orders of magnitude, and tens of thousands of hours finding new tests of the model (the model says ocean temps should be X... yup, they are, what about the impacts of this volcanic eruption... OK, this group of models nailed it...). But scientists aren't good at PR so now everyone seems to think this is a new question. Hey, have you heard about the Intel 486DX? It's supposed to be way faster than the old 386, lets discuss it in detail...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TimBikes @ Aug 15 2007, 03:33 PM) [snapback]496325[/snapback]</div>
    You're comparing the entire annual budget of organizations that work on a plethora of issues to a single opposition company's targeted funds (that they publicly acknowledge) and you don't see the problem with that? And the conservative think tanks have no funding beyond a single company (that could be getting close - they're so badly discredited by actual science it's getting to the tobacco-doesn't-cause-cancer stage of embarrassing)? Beyond that, the funds you state aren't even close to being enough to payoff a tenth the number of scientists who support the current models.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TimBikes @ Aug 15 2007, 03:56 PM) [snapback]496338[/snapback]</div>
    The NASA data was, and is, very publicly available - that's how Mr. McIntyre did his analysis. I'm confused how this textbook case of data transparency could possibly do anything but disprove your hypothesis. Mr. McIntyre downloaded the data (he didn't even have to pull a dissertation scan or purchase a compiled dataset on disc), found an error, and the publicly available dataset was promptly corrected with an edit notice posted. This case of review resulting in the identification of an error, for which Mr McIntyre was credited, pretty strongly reinforces my statement that the bulk of global climate change data is already transparent and has been for many years. Unless you have some citation about how McIntyre had trouble getting the data, or was ignored when he questioned it (as opposed to thanked within days and the corrections made), I can't even fathom the Orwellian mindset that is needed to think this indicates any sort of lack of transparency.

As to the actual data change, the error was insignificant in the validation of the models or the status of IPCC scenario projections and error bars. I don't know what talking head thinks this is significant, beyond possibly emphasizing that data was properly published and checked by independent parties that resulted in corrections increasing the quality of the dataset. But even a high school student knows that's how science has worked for at least a century, so why would anyone be surprised to see the system work as intended?

I like to do a bit of light racing in my fun cars. I like having a pretty big house (1700 sf for only 3 ppl) and flying cross country two or three times a year just to visit family. I do not want CO2 to be a significant influencer of global temperatures. But I am trained in basic science and am willing to accept what the facts say over what I want, even if this living in reality is not always pleasant.

4. EricGo

EricGo New Member

Why is it that so many of our forum GW ostriches are also Neo-Cons ?

I'm guessing it is because they limit their opinions and convictions to what they read on right wing blogs and hear on Faux news. Who needs a brain, when a media outlet is standing by ?

5. jweale

jweale Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(EricGo @ Aug 15 2007, 06:54 PM) [snapback]496449[/snapback]</div>
    What is amazingly hearteningly to me is that, apparently, some of these folks have bought a Prius. Clearly it appeals to more than just hippies and tree huggers! I have to keep that in mind when I get irritated - the guy on the other end is wrong (of course), but he or she is probably not a complete idiot :D

6. scargi01

scargi01 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(EricGo @ Aug 15 2007, 05:54 PM) [snapback]496449[/snapback]</div>
    Nothing like marginalizing the people you disagree with so you don't have to listen to them.

7. Washington1788

Washington1788 One of the "Deniers"

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(EricGo @ Aug 15 2007, 05:54 PM) [snapback]496449[/snapback]</div>
    Keep in mind that because people may disagree with your point of view and the fact that there is a public policy debate on global warming, does not mean they are a "neo-con" -- a term which many liberal-minded people mean as a derogatory rather than descriptive.

I suspect that "neo-cons" or those who disagree with you could also charge that you limit your opions to what you read on "left-wing" blogs, Air America, or any network news program. And we wonder why this country is so politically polorized these days!

I'm sure you motives and beliefs about GW are genuine. I think its safe to say that everyone who posts on a Prius message board is probably a little smarter or better informed than your average person on the street. Thus, I would hope you would extend the same courtasy of a basic level of respect for their motives and intellegence even though they/some may disagree with you.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jweale @ Aug 16 2007, 09:45 AM) [snapback]496862[/snapback]</div>
    Those of us who have bought a Prius for reasons other than environmental have mostly done so (from what I can gather from the boards) because of practicality, rising gas prices, techological gadets, and national security related reasons -- at least I would be covered under all of those reasons.

Whatever your reasons for buying this car, its a smart purchase all around!

8. TimBikes

TimBikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

9. TimBikes

TimBikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jweale @ Aug 15 2007, 02:41 PM) [snapback]496417[/snapback]</div>
    By the way, not to be completely difficult and argumentative, but from what I read you are suggesting that the models are pretty well formulated and most of the major questions have been nailed down. I disagree strongly with that contention. For instance, just today Science Daily disclosed a story detailing new work in regard to ocean currents: "Australian scientists have identified the missing deep ocean pathway – or ‘supergyre’ – linking the three Southern Hemisphere ocean basins in research that will help them explain more accurately how the ocean governs global climate."

Clearly this new information has not been addressed yet in existing climate models. Nor this. "The Antarctic Circumpolar Current is the world's largest ocean current but there's still a huge uncertainty about its influence on global climate."

And this new study regarding aerosols suggesting unknowns in this area as well: link.
    "While this process, known as "global dimming", is fairly well understood, the effect aerosols have on the surrounding atmosphere is still unclear.

And this paper on water vapor, which I do not believe are well modeled.

"A very important result of this study is that when the SSTs were predicted, they were higher than with the observed data (see slide 17), which indicates that the models miss an important real-world negative feedback. Their conclusion is that “The models tend to overestimate the positive feedback from water vapor in El Nino warming†and “The models tend to underestimate the negative feedback from cloud albedo in El Nino warming.â€

10. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for posting links to your information Tim. I'll look at them. :)

11. MegansPrius

MegansPrius GoogleMeister, AKA bongokitty

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II

12. TimBikes

TimBikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(F8L @ Aug 16 2007, 12:21 PM) [snapback]497140[/snapback]</div>
    New baby F8L? If so, congrats!

13. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TimBikes @ Aug 16 2007, 12:17 PM) [snapback]497134[/snapback]</div>
    This one doesn't seem to change any of the existing ideas that I can tell. It is not saying that low elevation landmass or oceans are being warmed by these aerosols. When it states glaciers it is talking about in the Himilayas, IE closer to the lower atmosphere where the higher temps are being measured. Unless I am reading it wrong it does not contradict most of what was described in the documentary "Dimming the Sun". Is that V. Rammanathan in the picture?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TimBikes @ Aug 16 2007, 12:28 PM) [snapback]497146[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, but not mine. Thank you though. :)

14. TimBikes

TimBikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MegansPrius @ Aug 16 2007, 12:28 PM) [snapback]497145[/snapback]</div>
    Perhaps the algorithm (process) is described, but from Steve's comments it is pretty clear that the source code was refused to him. If that is incorrect, you will have to take it up with Steve. ;)

By the way, Gavin's comments are a real hoot. "It's a two-piece linear correction, not rocket science." That's really ironic given that it was NASA's "rocket scientists" who couldn't get the calculations right in the first place! :lol:

Maybe we should get Steve McIntyre working on the space shuttle tiles while he's at it.

15. TimBikes

TimBikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(F8L @ Aug 16 2007, 12:29 PM) [snapback]497147[/snapback]</div>
    I'm not certain - my read, particularly when coupled with earlier research such as "Chung, C. E., and V. Ramanathan. 2003. South Asian haze forcing: Remote impacts with implications to ENSO and AO. Journal of Climate 16:1791-1806" is that the effect can be far from the source and it is not fully apparent to me that this is well modeled. But I am far, far from any expert in the GCMs.

Cute little baby anyway. :)

16. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TimBikes @ Aug 16 2007, 12:50 PM) [snapback]497169[/snapback]</div>
    Ok I gotcha. I agree that from what I have read the effects can indeed be far from the source but those effects seem to be the same, they either cool or warm depending on what species we are talking about. This does not really seem contrary to global warming though. We knew soots cause a warming in the atmosphere while other aerosols caused cooling on land and sea. This still leads us to the conclusion that we should be cleaning up our processes because there are so many bad effects contributed to them. I don't think you are against that though. :)

It is my best friend's child and I was honored to be his "godfather" or in non-religious terms, I promise to educate and nurture him and in the event that something happens to his parents I will continue to care for him. :)

17. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    "No, an agenda that will result in massive changes to our society and cost trillions of dollars based upon predictions and computer models that have an accuracy level most people wouldn't bet on."

Problem is, we will have to make that "trillions of dollars" change at some point ANYWAYS due to the finite nature of fossil fuels. Except, the longer we wait to make the change, the higher the cost will be to do it. Also, we'll have less energy available to do it, and less money since we keep exporting our money to buy our current oil supply from people who hate us.
    Liberals want to reduce oil use to cut carbon emissions, conservatives want to cut oil use to starve out OPEC, where's the problem? Why can't we start doing it already and just agree to do it for our own reasons?

18. TimBikes

TimBikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(F8L @ Aug 16 2007, 01:00 PM) [snapback]497175[/snapback]</div>
    You may very well be correct - though my impression was that there are some fundamental things about airborne pollution though that we are trying to get our arms around. The article here suggests that the pollution emitted by Asia could cause as much warming potential as is attributed to CO2. This being a recent study, I suspect it is not accounted for in current models - though admittedly the science on the effect of this pollution seems to be in the early stages.

To your point however, "we should be cleaning up our processes" - and I totally agree with that. However, dollar for dollar we might find that getting China on track with Western air pollution standards would be a tremendously more effective (and practical) means of addressing climate change than a broad-based CO2 reduction effort.

Some people may argue for both, but my feeling is that if the Asian study is accurate, it likely relegates CO2 to a much less crucial role - perhaps well under a third, maybe less than a quarter of climate change might be attributable to CO2. For instance, we know that of the 0.6 degree 20th century temperature rise, a significant portion happened well before industrialization was likely to have had an effect and that there are known or suspected linkages to many natural and anthropogenic causes: land-use changes, effects from a wide range of other greenhouse gases (CH4 and many others), natural climate variations, solar variations, and so on.

It is just my longstanding belief that nearly sole focus on CO2 is fundamentally flawed and this new research, in my view, only bolsters that. However, I respect that there are many folks who are knowledgeable on the subject who will disagree.

19. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I've been reading along here with interest. To me the most interesting aspect as how much is going on in climate/oceanographic research that's improving our knowledge of how the earth's systems work and interact with each other.

I agree that Asian pollution is a starting point. It's low hanging fruit, really. It's in their best interest to get to where we are now and no new technology needs to be developed to get there. Just a change in attitude. I think that they're getting there. The 2008 Olympics will be a real eye-opener to the rest of the world with respect to Chinese air quality. I'm hoping that China will be embarrassed into taking action. They can't keep on their current trajectory for much longer. Not at their rate of economic growth.

20. TimBikes

TimBikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tripp @ Aug 16 2007, 08:08 PM) [snapback]497520[/snapback]</div>
    Absolutely. Not that we should solely blame them. After all, we are driving much of the demand. But their environment is atrocious. I have spoken to people who have visited there and they are really shocked.

And we think the lead in our toys is serious - imagine living in one of their cities where god knows what is pouring out of every smokestack in town. And the food being grown there - even organically - is subject to all of that heavy metal and industrial fallout. Our producers seem only too happy to source from there for dog food all the way to the organic strawberries in your Stonyfield organic yogurt. A bit off topic, but YUCK!