1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

NewsWeek debunks its own Global Warming Story

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by TimBikes, Aug 14, 2007.

1. TimBikes

TimBikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nerfer @ Aug 21 2007, 02:51 PM) [snapback]499951[/snapback]</div>
    I'm not 100% with you, but your comment is pretty funny and I'm there with you in principle.

2. TimBikes

TimBikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(EricGo @ Aug 21 2007, 02:57 PM) [snapback]499952[/snapback]</div>
    Wow Eric. That's pretty bold considering you have not illuminated the discussion on this thread with one single quote from the IPCC or any other scientific source for that matter - but have simply repeated the same rants over and over about Neocons , WMDs, etc.

At least I have presented quite a few quotes / links from current news, the scientific literature, the IPCC, etc. that people can review and consider.

Now, people may disagree with me on interpretation or in the relative importance, but to my view (and as noted by at least a few others here), the discussion has proven interesting and I enjoy hearing why people disagree with a certain point I might make.

On the other hand, I highly doubt anybody has gleaned much of anything useful from your few uninformative rants. :p

3. EricGo

EricGo New Member

Search my posts over the past couple of years. All I do, and all I'm going to do when not dishing out ridicule for your silly opinions, is to refer you and the other ostriches to realclimate.org.

4. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(F8L @ Aug 17 2007, 10:53 AM) [snapback]497893[/snapback]</div>
    China is responsible for their pollution. Yes, by participating in the global market, China will produce some amount of pollution. Everyone who participates does that. However, China's pollution is far in excess of what would produced by western nations were they to produce products in the same volumes. That's where China is to be blamed for the pollution that they emit. Obviously, with current technology/practices some amount of pollution will be produced, by China exceeds that by leaps and bounds. They could also choose not to produce the products or to produce them in a way that makes the products more environmentally friendly. They're not helpless pawns in this game.

5. EricGo

EricGo New Member

Tripp, since GW does not obey political boundaries, it seems clear to me that nations intent on decreasing worldwide CO2 pollution will have to extend taxation to consumption based on a carbon tax in order to influence producer nations.

The present notions of a carbon trading market directed at producers is simply going to shift production to nations who will look the other way for the short term benefits.

6. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MarkMN @ Aug 21 2007, 12:00 PM) [snapback]499857[/snapback]</div>
    Public policy is not decided by scientists. In a representative democracy, it is up to us to evaluate the various claims and elect representatives that will create the policies that will help the situation.

The misuse of science in public policy has devastating effects, second only to the misuse of religion in the last 100 years. So it is incumbent on us to not accept blindly what a government panel publishes as the "truth", but to question the claims and make sure we understand what is being asked of us.

7. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TimBikes @ Aug 21 2007, 05:23 PM) [snapback]499968[/snapback]</div>
    How about this for scientific evidence?

[attachmentid=10843]

Attached Files:

8. micksimon

micksimon New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tripp @ Aug 21 2007, 07:21 PM) [snapback]499997[/snapback]</div>
    While China is no doubt complicit by not instituting more stringent pollution controls, consumers also have to share in that responsibility. The attraction of Chinese made goods is primarily lower price, resulting in part from lower or no pollution control costs.

9. TimBikes

TimBikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nerfer @ Aug 22 2007, 10:00 PM) [snapback]500828[/snapback]</div>
    Love it! :lol:

According to the picture though, the greatest percentage decrease in bloomer coverage occurs in the pre-industrial era. B)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mick @ Aug 23 2007, 04:22 AM) [snapback]500908[/snapback]</div>
    I agree - in addition there are the issues of poor labor standards, lack of freedom, lack of intellectual property protection, the use of the military to run and profit from entire industries, etc.

And the worst part is there are often few alternatives now to Chinese made goods in many product categories. And many of the raw materials for everything from toothpaste to dog food - as we are seeing - are now insidiously making their way into products not labeled "made in China".

10. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I agree with the comments regarding China's responsibility etc etc. EricGo, I was thinking about that too. Unfortunately, it would likely start a trade war. Still, I think something like that may eventually happen as the costs of pollution get higher. The only real hope is to develop cheap technologies which have much lower environmental costs. I don't see us being able to solve these problems through "enlightenment". Godiva (I think) posted that pic several months ago. Always good for a laugh. Nice come back, BTW, Tim. ;)