1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Newsweek: Hybrids are Obsolete

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by rpatterman, May 4, 2009.

1. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Man, what will GM do with all those obsolete Hybrid Escalades!?!?

2. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    China has the unique advantage that they can simply ban gasoline cars if they want to. They have already done a similar ban when major Chinese cities banned electric bicycles and scooters. The problem? All those bicyclists were getting in the way of the cars!

Electric bikes banned in Chinese city to make room for cars

3. Fibb222

Fibb222 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
  4. rex

rex New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think you have your facts a little exagerated. Just the day after "Earth Day" when Toyota annouced the pricing for the 3rd generation Prius, they announced they were not selling the plug-in Prius to the general public. A very puzzling GM-like decision, which many believe was precipitated by the final demise of GM. So any implication that plug-in Prius' are just around the corner are only as good as the reality that someone other than Toyota will come out with a Prius killer first. Right now that looks like the Ford Fusion Hybrid.

5. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    That is easy. No electric cars are available for sale and the charging infrastructure and battery swapping stations haven't been built yet. People buy products and services, not hopes and dreams.

In other interesting news from about that time, the Norwegian electric car manufacturer TH!NK filed for bankruptcy for the 3rd time. It seems that buyers aren't stampeding to EV's yet.

Norway's TH!NK Is Thinking Bankruptcy or State Bailout : TreeHugger

6. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This sort of reminds me of someone I know telling me, "I bet you really regret getting that Prius now that gas is back down to $1.99 per gallon." I just reminded him that I bought it back when gas was $2.35 per gallon and at these prices it doesn't even cost but about $15 per for a fill up.

1 person likes this.
  7. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Plug-in hybrids (PHEVs) are coming. Switch engines in train yards are making use of Green Goats - hybrid locomotives. George Will continues to try to substitute oil for knowledge rather than apply the knowledge and strive for conservation & energy efficiency.

8. Fibb222

Fibb222 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    You talk like BP's plans aren't being implemented. They are. Charging spots are being installed in Israel and Denmark. In a week or so, the first battery swap station will be demonstrated in Japan.

The BP infrastructure will be fully in place in a region before the customers will be allowed to sign a contract.

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's because they're leasing it to commercial users. They always do that. The FHEV (Highlander-based) was leased to several universities across the US. The FCX Clarity is being leased but this time to selected (how they're selected, I'm not sure) public buyers.

10. 1SMUGLEX

1SMUGLEX I love the smug!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    One of the reasons toyota is reluctant to try anything else is b/c they have spent billions investing in the current batteries used for the electric motors. They don't want to move on to another battery or plug-ins yet.

11. wvgasguy

wvgasguy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It's difficult to understand why anyone would consider the leading edge of current technology obsolete. What about the millions of ICE only cars out there polluting and wasting gas. Even when plug-ins and EV only cars come, it will be a slow wave and the Prius and its peers still won't be obsolete, just another alternative.

12. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I listen to what Toyota has to say -

'Li-Ion battery technology is not where it needs to be ...'

Listen to Fisker-Karma, touting a car that cost $87,000

How 'bout this Fisker ....

What is the battery warranty on your $87,000 car???

How much will it cost to replace that battery outside of warranty?

13. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Any coherent person needs to know the #1, numero uno, king of the hill concern with the general public on new technology, electric, HEV, PHEV, BEV, etc vehicles is ....

The traction battery ...

as in ...

* how long will it last

* how much will it cost to replace

* What is the factory warranty on the battery

* How much will it cost for extra warranty on that battery

This is the main issue with the general public, plain and simple.

14. Fibb222

Fibb222 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    None of that would be a concern for a customer of Better Place.

15. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Obsolete = "to make obsolete by replacing with something newer or better" -dictionary.com

ICE was invented over 100 years ago. Hybrids incorporate an ICE, while improving upon the vehicle by retaining some of the energy that would have been otherwise lost. Therefore, it would be impossible for an ICE to make a hybrid obsolete.

Did you notice that gasoline prices are slowly creeping back up? Did you notice that oil trading closed at over $57 per barrel today ? I have a feeling that the author of this article will be eating his words sooner than you might think.

16. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    best price for gas yesterday $2.319...up 40 cents since the beginning of the year

17. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Those that dislike Prius find calling it "obsolete" an easy way to undermine its progress... because the technology is now "mature", ready for very high-volume production & sales.

18. Fibb222

Fibb222 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I love the Prius as a good first step, but realistically, non-plug-in hybrids better just be "a flash in the pan" if we are going to survive global warming.

19. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    the Prius is not the leading edge of technology. not by a long shot. it is however the best technology widely available.

i always question an article like this when all it can do is bash something, but provides no alternatives. this is how my 2 year old reasons. he cries, but cant say why he is crying or what we can do to please him. (my SO just provides a laundry list of options to him... so ya, between mommy and grandma, he is SPOILED BIG TIME!!)

20. jaw444

jaw444 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Theoretically, would a speeded up transition from the gasoline technology to electric technology (and/or other cleaner technologies) be something that could be achieved by public investment and planning/implentation? I'm thinking of massive government investment, redirection of certain public funds into such a transition or conversion of car production technology, a non-laizze faire approach? Aside from political obstacles to doing this, would it even be possible economically and technologically, should it be politically possible, to achieve a rapid transition of production technology to achieve mass production of efficient affordable electric cars?