1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

NexPower NexCell LiFePo Battery Upgrade

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by jerrydelrey, Aug 20, 2021.

1. jerrydelrey

jerrydelrey Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I just upgraded my 2010 Prius to the NexPower Nexcell upgrade

Installation was simple. Nothing too tricky.
    I think the 6.6Ah rating is wrong, it should be double because it takes up twice the space as the regular blades.

1. My gas mileage when up from 40 mpg back to stock new 50 mpg. I think if you have a typical drive, the benefit can only come from these batteries don't get as hot as the Nimh. Less heat means more energy is stored. Or it might be the way the sensor is hooked up. it's mounted horizontally, which might make these batteries seem to operate cooler. In any case as far as Gas Mileage for me it brings it back to new OEM levels.

2. EV range. I conducted an unscientific test, and EV range from battery level NOT FULL 60% (bars not on in the battery) engine when on that 45%. I traveled a total of 1.7 miles. I search and consensus is OEM battery at full (~80%) has a range of 1.1 miles. This battery at 60% had .6 miles more range. I guess the capacity is roughly double the OEM pack.

Given the capacity, if your drive has a large uphill and downhill approx 1-2 miles long you can have a benefit of greater gas mileage. I'm not sure how you would tell it to discharge on the way up, and regen on the way down.

Anyways that's my review. Ending.png begining.png

230913540_201843661908895_1612077329999625584_n.jpg 230913540_201843661908895_1612077329999625584_n.jpg 230786894_323121806235893_7905081542465229067_n.jpg

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    nice, well done!(y)

drbojo likes this.
  3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It has double the voltage (14.4ish per module, rather than the 7.2ish of the original modules). Each of these replaces a block of two original modules, and has the same voltage overall as the two it replaced. It also has roughly the same Ah capacity as the block it replaced, which is the same as the original modules. Ah capacities in series don't add.

Grit likes this.
  4. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    your battery is labeled lithium-ion, not lithium iron phosphate. LiFePO4 cost waay more than li-ion. In your shoes I’d get my money back, you paid LiFePO4 money for a li-ion battery.

jerrydelrey likes this.
  5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Interesting point. Are LiFePO4 and li-ion mutually exclusive? Or is li-ion the broader term, of which LiFePO4 is one type?

If the first, maybe the thread title should be changed. But Wikipedia seems to come down on the side of the second.

"... is a type of lithium-ion battery using lithium iron phosphate (LiFePO4) as the cathode material ..."

I see the thing is also labeled 16.0 volts, which is the nominal voltage you would have if you stacked five LiFePO4 cells.

GregC1979, GG707, Threej and 2 others like this.
  6. jerrydelrey

jerrydelrey Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks for the info. I am satisfied with the performance even if it’s lithium ion and not LiFePo. I’m not sure if it’s Symantec’s. But so far it’s performs better than the stock nimh.

My only concern right now is longevity. I’ll keep everyone up to date if the performance degrades and throws a code before 5 years or my car blows up (from something else).

Robert Shields likes this.
  7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Still, worthwhile to get it cleared up, so future readers of the thread don't get the wrong idea. Maybe @jacktheripper can comment? The Torque News article also says it is LiFePO4.

8. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No, lithium-ion is a family of chemistries, and lithium iron phosphate is one of the family members. The family seems to have grown since I was looking at them for work purposes a decade ago.

Here are the first articles that popped up for me:

Six Lithium-ion Battery Chemistries: Not all Batteries are Created Equal

The Lithium-Ion Cells and Chemistries You Need to Know

Explaining Lithium ion Chemistries | LithiumHub

... or buy the book:
    Lithium-Ion Battery Chemistries: A Primer
    Lithium-Ion Battery Chemistries | ScienceDirect

"Lithium-Ion Battery Chemistries: A Primer offers a simple description on how different lithium-ion battery chemistries work, along with their differences. It includes a refresher on the basics of electrochemistry and thermodynamics, and an understanding of the fundamental processes that occur in the lithium-ion battery. Furthermore, it reviews each of the major chemistries that are in use today, including Lithium-Iron Phosphate (LFP), Lithium-Cobalt Oxide (LCO), Lithium Manganese Oxide (LMO), Lithium-Nickel Manganese Cobalt (NMC), Lithium-Nickel Cobalt Aluminium (NCA), and Lithium-Titanate Oxide (LTO) and outlines the different types of anodes, including carbon (graphite, hard carbon, soft carbon, graphene), silicon, and tin."

9. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    with that reasoning, ni-cd is the same battery as ni-mh.

10. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It'll be up to you to explain why you think that analogy holds.

jbmbenjamin likes this.
  11. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Would you also include the lithium-ion family members lithium-nickle-manganese-cobalt (NMC) and lithium-nickel-cobalt-aluminum (NCA) in with ni-cd and ni-mh? ;)

12. jerrydelrey

jerrydelrey Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    According to Wikipedia LiFePo is a type of Lithium Ion Battery 7117E9CB-20DA-4246-BE02-0F4FBFB7F3BF.jpeg

GregC1979 and jacktheripper like this.
  13. jacktheripper

jacktheripper Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    yes, it is LiFePO4, part of the lithium-ion family.
    And not only that, this is the most expensive high-power LiFePO4 cell that is both powerful and stable(safe).

Jack

14. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have understood that LiFePO4 is currently the most stable and safe member of the family. On the other end, lithium cobalt oxide is the most prone to events of this sort, near here Monday evening:
    Flight to Seattle evacuated after passenger’s Samsung Galaxy phone ignites

(I don't see any confirmation of just which chemistry was involved in this particular incident.)

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    in rc models, we use lipo (lithium polymer) don't know if the chemistry is more specific than that, but you shouldn't leave them unattended when charging, and should be charged in non flammable surroundings.

16. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That gives construction type, not chemistry. These are a subset of Li-ion.
    Light weight is certainly desirable for RC airplanes. Just note that the chemistry most prone to spontaneous combustion, otherwise had a benefit of being among the lightest weight.

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    and packed with power to size as well

18. jacktheripper

jacktheripper Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Couple of torture test for the certification, these are just a few test that have been captured with camera:

vertical puncture test:

horizontal puncture test:

24 hours overcharge test:

Short circuit test 1:

Short circuit test 2 - hydraulic press:

19. tony_2018

tony_2018 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Southern state here. Battery seems to be holding up well with the heat. I will say I have been keeping my ac blowing colder than normal and did clean out the blower motor when I had it out. I do need to add a filter although I doubt it will help since the intake tube has some air leakage.

20. Texas-Veteran

Texas-Veteran New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I just installed my lithium pack today. It only took a few hours. I have 198k miles and the NiMH pack was at 37% capacity. I feel like I have a new car. I was still getting 40 MPG, but I'm hoping to get 50+ now. My problem is I have too much lead in my right foot. Just realized I forgot to clean the fan while I was changing the pack. ARRRRGH.