1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Next Gen PHV --> AER vs. MPG?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Tideland Prius, Dec 5, 2014.

?
  1. Forget mpg, max AER all the way. Gimme moar!! (35+ miles, 50mpg)

10 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. I'd like each of them to be incrementally increased (25-35 miles, 55mpg)

15 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. I like the shorter charge time (15-25 miles, 60mpg)

5 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A discussion in the Gen IV Speculation thread had me thinking ... Great minds at PriusChat, what would you prefer to see in the next gen PHV, greater AER (all-electric range for those who are new) or greater mpg? Would you prefer to have electric efficiency increased? (lower kWh/mile consumption)

Current PHV:
    Pros:
    • Short recharge time
    • Same gasoline only mpg as a Prius when in C-S mode
    • No visible loss in cargo space or passenger space
    • Lower PHV "entrance fee" at U.S. $32,000 base price
    • It's a Prius - it'll be reliable
    • Potentially no extra cost of installing a home charger as 120V charging is quick enough
    Cons:
    • Small battery capacity means constant recharging for those that want to take advantage of EV driving
    • Low AER means limited advantages over a standard Prius for those with longer commutes or have to do multiple trips in a day with no access to charging
    • Smaller capacity battery means less maximum power output so engine has to kick in to supplement acceleration under moderate-hard acceleration
    • It's "just a Prius with a more energy dense battery"

I'm sure PiP owners can chime in with more pros and cons, but the idea is with Toyota almost in certainty developing the next gen PiP along side the Gen 4, Toyota's hands are somewhat tied with the development of a hybrid vs. GM which has freer reigns with the next gen Volt. (Here's a good example of history repeating itself where we have a Prius hybrid on a dedicated platform vs. other hybrids built on a regular car's platform with a hybrid system shoehorned in; Toyota here now is on the other side of that fence with the Prius PHV tied down with the development of a hybrid while GM is on a dedicated platform with fewer restrictions on weight, body type, body material, other component material, features, specifications and price).

So my question is, what are you, fellow PriusChat friends, expecting (realistically) for the next gen and what are your preferences for PHV drivetrain specifications. Are you willing to stay put with current mpg in order to get a larger all-electric range even if the overall environmental impact could be lower (YMMV) or do you expect the same mpg boost as the Gen IV with a boost in AER?

P.S. I'm just pulling educated guesses for those numbers based on what I've read on PC and what kind of ranges and mpg that members have been asking so hopefully I've picked numbers that can cover at least 1/3rd - 1/2 of what members expect.

Side note:
    What about electric efficiency? While I don't particularly like MPGe, it is an easy number for the general public to understand and even though the Model S gets all the attention with a big battery and large AER, it's an electron guzzler compared to a LEAF with a smaller battery and smaller AER. (89MPGe for the 85kWh Model S, 95 MPGe for the 60 kWh vs. 114 MPGe for the 2015 LEAF). A little more relevant would be the Model S' electric consumption of about 35-38kWh/100miles vs. 30 kWh/100 miles for the LEAF according to the EPA). Naturally like a gasoline sports car, you expect to consume more fuel than a regular car. Anyway, I digress, the current Prius PHV is rated at 29kWh/100 miles + 0.2 gallons/100mi of gas. If Toyota's able to tune it so that the engine can stay off and make the electric motor more efficient, perhaps it can get it down to 26kWh/100 miles.

Sergiospl likes this.
  2. Emcguy

Emcguy Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    I wouldn't mind a non plug-in, except with, say twice, the battery capacity. I live in a hilly area and the battery is always overfull. This would also allow a bit of extra eboost at lower speeds.

3. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    NS4 concept car was a dedicated PHV so it could be either way.

Gas mileage is supposed to increase by 10% so EV efficiency should as well.

With $2.50 gas/gallon and 18 cents/kWh, fuel costs are about the same. Emission is lower with electricity (in my region based on my driving) but bigger battery premium cannot be paid back with gas prices this low.

I am getting 60% EV ratio so I have no need for more EV range as bigger battery can add weight, space, cost and affect gas mileage. I consider 50:50 a balanced ratio and any significant bias towards either would end up being not optimum.

I need a spare tire as PiP is our only family car. I'd rather have a spare than more range.

The wireless charger should be standard on package with Smart Key System to get the true convenience.

I voted for the bottom option.

4. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I don't do a lot of long trips anymore, so I want as much AER as possible. In Houston, anything less than 30 miles AER is pretty useless. Running errands on the weekend easily takes 25 miles. If it were 50 miles AER, I could at least visit my bro in the burbs and get back without plugging in. If it were 100+, I could run down to Galveston and back. Give me 200 miles AER, and I can get all the way to San Antonio or Austin! As a plus, all my electricity is wind generated (I pay about a penny more per kwh to guarantee all wind).

5. priusplusowner

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius+ MPV
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota has lost it. For example the Mitsubishi Outlamder PHEV has 50 km or more EV range, AWD and towing capability. It's a success in Sweden. Toyota sells virtually none Prius PHV. There was quite a few sold the first year but now the sales has crawled to nothing. Insensitivity of market demands has caused this. Toyota had all the possibilities to sale for example the RAV4 with a plug or a Highlander with a plug. It would have made all the difference. I would have liked a Prius Phv a year ago or two bit Toyota was quickly overtaken by other brands with better plugins and diesels with far better MPG and better practical applications.

6. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I think Toyota makes sure EV miles are as clean as the gas miles, not just in certain states but weighted electricity available worldwide.

The class leading 50-60 MPG gas engine is what is preventing them from adding more EV miles. That's Prius - affordable, practical, efficient and clean.

It may make sense to introduce another model for plugin where low emission isn't a priority and add more EV miles. If people are turning the blind eyes on low emission and want more EV miles, they should introduce another model.

7. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    As I said in the other thread, I strongly feel that an AER that allows the user to meet the largest percentage of their typical commute is the best deal.

This may be one of the reasons I have so little trouble with the idea of different brands being the best option for different people.

If you have a more chaotic driving pattern, mpg becomes much more important.
    My wife's and my driving patterns fluctuate a lot within a range of 8-75 miles per day. But 90% of the time we are within than band, so a 80 mile range was preferable. We have infrastructure in place along all the longer trips we have taken, so BEVs work great for us.

One needs to consider their driving patterns and reasons for wanting to use less gasoline when considering a plugin.

All that said, I think Toyota will find a 20 mile AER will appeal to a much larger portion of the market. I also hope they will base it off the Gen4 when the next gen comes out. It was disappointing that the RAV4ev didn't use the newest RAV4 as a base.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    whatever it takes to put more fannie's in the seats.;) i voted for #2 though.(y)

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    right, they're probably teetering on bankruptcy. the outlander will be the next big thing in the u.s of a.(y)

10. priusplusowner

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius+ MPV
    Model:
    N/A
    Outlander is the best selling Plugin hybrid outside US according to stats.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i don't doubt your veracity. but that doesn't prove that 'toyota has lost it'. look at the best selling cars in the us.

12. priusplusowner

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius+ MPV
    Model:
    N/A
    To clarify. I meant lost it as in lost the plugin competition. Nothing else. They make superb cars in many respects.

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    oh, right. well, i wouldn't say lost it yet. let's see what gen IV brings. right now, it's just the leaf and the volt. you could be right though, at least until the fcev money runs out.;)

14. vinnie97

vinnie97 Whatever Works

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    ^The sooner that happens (FCEV money runs out), the better, IMO!

15. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ready to sign up for 15-20 ev/60 hv with a spare, :)

16. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    29kWh/100mi EV efficiency is rated with both City and Highway cycles. If you use EV for City and gas for highway, the numbers are different. Too bad EPA does not test PHEV that way.

I use that strategy and I get 135-140 MPGe on EV. The gas mileages does not dip either.

17. inferno

inferno Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I voted for the second. The pip competes with the volt whether ppl like it or not.

What the prius stands for me is efficiency. If you can get more miles per kwh then I'd be happy with the same battery. Ie. Instead of 11 mIles ev it could be 15 with the same battery. How amazing would that be?

Add super capacitor and increase efficiency in charging then you got a winner when gad prices go low and electric go high or vice versa.

We have solar so our effective cost is much lower than others. This winter it's like we are getting charged 5 cents per kwh versus 16

18. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Inferno, wouldn't #3 be a better choice for you?

15-25 EV miles and 60 MPG gas. The balance that gets the most out of each fuel.

I agree with your point and most people overlooked. If gas price gets any lower, EV miles will cost more for me, despite using EV for lower city speeds.

With a balanced fuel efficiency design, I can choose to not charge it.

19. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I chose the 1st option, more EV range and the same mpg.

Because around 45-55mpg you hit a point of diminishing returns. The annual fuel cost difference between 50mpg and 55mpg is quite small for the average driver. Better to have more EV range for driving pleasure and reduced point source emissions.

20. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Same for the rest of the West Coast. Less than 30 miles just doesn't cut it. City design is just too spread out for short range EV.