1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Next Gen Prius Pics

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by C.RICKEY HIROSE, Aug 22, 2008.

1. Mormegil

Mormegil Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Chevy Volt
    I agree that center console blows. Parking at UCLA is horrible, and I often find I can only get in and out of my car via the passenger side.

That's fine, I plan to drive my current Prius to the ground anyway. So I'll be looking at the Gen 4 Prius for a replacement.

My wife on the other hand will be in the market for one of these.

2. mrblaise

mrblaise Go Lakers!!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I like it. Looks much sportier. Absent an emergency, I don't know why any driver would feel the need to exit the car from the passenger side.

3. Dave_PH

Dave_PH New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Much better looking. Sporty covers it. The current model is so boxey amd primitive.

4. Genoz World

Genoz World ZEN-style living

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ONE of the reasons why i thought the interior of the prius was so user friendly was the LOCATION OF THE SCREEN. for a quick glance, you didn't have to move your eyes or head abruptly to see the screen. the new location of the navi/screen is much lower, that's not what i would like to see. now, you have to move your eyes farther, so IMO it's not a good safety feature.

5. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My wife thinks mine is too damn weird ( but she loves the low fuel usage ). This one may be right in her 'traditional' comfort zone. If it came in a convertible she'd be all over it.

6. Mormegil

Mormegil Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Chevy Volt

See my post immedietely before yours.

7. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i like it. at least now it feels as if i'm part of the car and the driving experience rather than feeling like i'm detached from teh car and im driving an appliance.

8. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I like it ! Sign me up for the waiting list! ;)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The voices here are far from a majority. In fact, we aren't even representative of the typical Prius owner.

I'm in the extreme minority... where I've been through this once already. 3 years of hearing how "strange" the CLASSIC model opened my eyes to how closed others were. Now 5 years after making the switch to another vehicle with a Multi-Display, digital speedometer, and non-typical shifter, I'm quite receptive those refinements the HSD model brought.

Also, getting a center console after 9 years of not having one is a welcome change. Some of us simply what something different after awhile... which has proven a very successful move on Toyota's part. That's how they were able to deliver used Prius to those where the new was out of their reach.

10. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    I'm still a little skeptical of the original article that showed the dark "new Prius" and the white "new Prius". -I- suspect there are two cars here, the dark one being the new Lexus (and the interior shots would then be the Lexus interior). Look at the spot on the front grill for the emblem. It looks like it was sized for the Lexus logo, not the Toyota oval. -I- think the white car was the "new Prius", and we didn't get an interior pic. of it.

My reasoning is:
    1. Toyota has promised both a new Lexus and a Prius.
    2. That interior looks "Lexus like", not "Toyota like". Even though they are the same company, they keep the interior styling very different.
    3. There were two cars shown in the "spy photos" that the interior pic in this thread is part of. One was dark gray/charcoal, the other was white. The white one looked a lot more like the current Prius. The dark one sure looks "Lexus like" to me!

But we shall see "in due course" what is and what is not. ;)

11. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

it is as simple as the one from last year, which is early concept and one from this year - almost finished vehicle... nothing else to it.

Interior that we saw is 100% Toyota.

12. spaceglider

spaceglider Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Agreed! I hate this mainstream - especially if it makes no sense.

13. spaceglider

spaceglider Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Interesting aspect. ;-)

But the seats definitly look Prius-like.

Also I think to see more the extreme oval of the Totota logo on the steering wheel than a Lexus logo.

14. eman17

eman17 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    yea, but you gotta concur that the center console is a piece of crap. Mine has come apart a few times, and I had to snap it back together. Just seems a bit on the flimsy side.

15. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Now that you put the two interior pics together, what I've said is even more obvious. The screen is a LOT lower than the current one. It's almost like looking at the CD Changer on the current one (or say, similar in position to the one in the Camry Hybrid). Definitely lower than I'd like.

The white one is the older one and I believe they were testing something else (e.g. the headlights). Right now, there's a white Sienna going around with the front end and the taillights taped in white. Again, the headlights look different. You can be sure when the actual prototype is built, it'll be covered in black tape instead.

16. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

i would say around 3"-4" lower than before. You know, it could be safety thing too - Toyota might want us to look less at it :p. I drove an Prius after year of driving other cars, and mfg display was quite distracting, despite its position. It takes a bit to get used to it and not look at it all the time.

who knows, maybe they will have heads up display with basic mfg info? :)

17. DaveSheremata

DaveSheremata New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm surprised that there aren't more comments about the shifter location - it look outright dangerous to me! I can imagine ejecting a CD and inadvertently putting the car in neutral, or even brake-mode, which could be pretty bad while going 70mph...

Also, being 6'2", my right knee is usually leaning against the console - where it looks like there's less space than before - it looks to me like this will not be as comfortable.

Dave

18. Subversive

Subversive New Member

The outside looks slightly sportier, and my fat nice person would love a slightly wider car, however the inside doesn't look so good. It looks like a cramped cockpit, with smaller, crappier components. And I am really going to miss having those great cupholders. How much better mileage are we talking fo 80MPH again? It's going to have to be a lot better for me to not just keep my existing car and run it into the ground.

19. dallas27

dallas27 Love my Jeep

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    at first blush, I think I like to old cockput better than the new. Definatley prefer the old steerig wheel.

20. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    "BLUE SPRINGS, Miss. -- An unnamed automotive supplier is clearing a 30-acre site on Mississippi Highway 178 in Blue Springs near the new Toyota manufacturing plant.John Byers with the Three Rivers Planning Development District confirmed the site work, but said that he can't name the company.Byers said that he expects an announcement from the governor's office, the Mississippi Development Authority and the company in three or four weeks. [​IMG]
    It would be the seventh supplier to locate in Mississippi or Tennessee to serve the Blue Springs plant Toyota, which is scheduled to open in 2010 to make the hybrid Prius."

(this exact same text was also posted on NBC)
    Automotive Supplier Clears Site In NE Miss. - Automotive News Story - WAPT Jackson