1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

NEXT GEN VOLT

Discussion in 'Chevrolet Volt' started by dbcassidy, Jun 6, 2012.

1. drinnovation

drinnovation EREV for EVER!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Motor trend was probably at the meeting where the volt was presented, from which the youtube video was created. (MT published Oct 12, Videos on Youtueb Oct 19).

The SAE paer on the volt had the charts I cited above which shows mode as a function of axel torque and speed.

2. brad_rules_man

brad_rules_man Hybrid electric revolutionizer

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    BTW I'm honestly and truly pleased to be learning more about the Volt after all this time. I knew lots about the Volt, but this one complicated thing (I seriously looked through some repair manuals or some sort of schematics trying to figure it out before) is now explained to me, and on a Priuschat of all places! haha. love it. Thanks for all the charts and information!

3. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Answer to OQ:
    In decreasing order of importance to us:
    More range (as seen in the 2013, preferably from higher battery density)
    Lower price
    5th seat

Over half of our miles are in round trips in the 40 to 45 mile range (including my commute). Then there's a 76 mile round trip (where 120V would be available) maybe 20 to 25 times per year, and a 100 mile round trip maybe 20 (up to 30) times per year. Those are over 75% of our miles. The rest are more occasional, longer trips. We're a 2 car family so a PEV wouldn't have to do everything.

A lower price is ideal, but there's already a large price drop given by the $7,500 tax credit that counts for over $450/kWh. If EVs were a lot cheaper there wouldn't be large credits.

We barely use the 2nd row of seats, let alone the 5th seat, so it isn't a big deal.

4. drinnovation

drinnovation EREV for EVER!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

No problem. Just sharing what I've learned.

Yes there was a bit of semantic slicing in the early discussions. Technically, in the Volt, the ICE usage is always indirect as its clutched to the generator that is clutched to the ring gear that is one part of the planetary gear set. But there always needs to be power to the EV motors. While the ICE can be clutched out the primary traction motor cannot.

brad_rules_man likes this.
  5. brad_rules_man

brad_rules_man Hybrid electric revolutionizer

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh, also due to your video they better explained the higher compression ratio and efficiency of the generator and why they use premium fuel. It doesn't end up costing you more, because it increases efficiency. So it comes out as a wash, but also with the added benefit of a longer shelf life. Another thing they do for both emissions reasons and to better preserve the fuel is a fully sealed pressurized fuel system. Another reason why unfortunately the Volt is more expensive. To get all these things to work well in harmony and not give people trouble down the line they have to sort of "over engineer" the car. Much like they did with 1st and 2nd generation Priuses. I exclude 3rd generation (even though I have had 3 and find them absurdly reliable) when taken apart they aren't as over engineered as the iconic Prius.