1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Next-generation solid-state batteries in production in China ?

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by kenmce, Nov 24, 2018.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    So how good can they be?

Bob Wilson

2. PriusV17

PriusV17 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    I don't know how good with out real specs. For now bisco is right, it's just claims until they actually produce and economically.

They claim "The anode of the next-generation SCiBTM realized through this approach has double times the capacity of the anode of current lithium-ion batteries."

3. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Lithium batteries aren't the cure all for batteries, they are just a stopgap until better, cheaper, lighter and cheaper technologies come along. Remember the nicad battery.

4. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    They are also in the iMiEV, and have better cold performance than typical Li-ion.
    They are just better than other proposals for now, but maybe flow batteries will be made to work in cars, or BASF will make a better NiMH.

I was surprised to see that my solar powered lawn lights still use NiCad.

5. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    The automation in the gigafactory has greatly reduced those extra costs. Solid state also need bms and thermal management, it just is cheaper.

Solid state holds promises of faster charge rate at lower cost (it has problems in the cold not with heat), lower weight, and better stability when damaged (needs less protection from crashes). Solid state sodium batteries should eventually be much less expensive than lithium ion or lithium polymer.

Still if you are building a 60 kwh plug-in and a lithium pack costs $100/kwh (including bms, impact resistance, and thermal management) which tesla/panasonic are close to doing, versus a better solid state pack which costs $200/kwh then there will be a difference in $6000 between the cars. Faster charging and crash protection won't make it. Solid state will need to go through the same consumer electronics path to be proven and reduce costs that nimh and lion have done.

I have no doubt the technology will eventually work, but lion costs are still dropping and energy density (kwh/liter) is still increasing. Key to reducing costs right now is reducing the amount of expensive metals like cobalt. Samsung, Panasonic, and LG chem are all working on this.

Flow, aluminum air (which basically is a battery with recyclable plates) or ice all may win out for those needing a range extender. Lion then maybe a solid state or air battery will still be needed.