1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Next voltec, what do you think of the new rumors

Discussion in 'Chevrolet Volt' started by austingreen, Jun 14, 2012.

1. dbcassidy

dbcassidy Toyota Hybrid Nation, 8 Million Strong

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    AH! lets' not forget that this IS an election year and people are fed up with federal deficits as well as congress. That being said, increased pressure on congressional members to reduce deficits, just might speed up ending the tax-credits on eash unit sold. Congress, at any time, can overturn and stop the tax-credits. The IRS has to comply with congress' decisions.

GM is spread very thin on having financial "reserves" to use as a backup. GM also has financial obligations to keep funding their pension plan.

Toyota, on the other hand, has deep pockets to draw upon, if the tax-credits were to abruptly end. They are in a much better position to cut the sale price (offsetting the elimination of tax-credits) of each unit sold.

GM does not have this luxury.

DBCassidy

2. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    First rule when you find yourself in a hole is to stop digging. Don't dig faster DB. The tax credits aren't about to expire next month. The best thing you can do is understand reality. No reason to start making stuff up about congress. Sure rep mike kelly, tried to put out a bill against the tax credit while talking about how important it was to continue oil subsidies. It isn't going anywhere. Are you a fan of kelly? Most of us that like plug-ins don't really like oil subsidies. If you like the soil subsidies which are much higher, and want to cut the plug-in incentives to help reduce oil dependancy, there are whole other threads for that.

This was a thread about futures of a plug in. Its not some volt versus prius phv thing, there are plenty of those. We can move it to talk about ns4 and prius phv futures too, I'm not opposed to that.

But please take your politics out of it.

3. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    It was my understanding, that the quantity for the first manufacturers is 200,000 vehicles each. The only time I have heard 2015 used was for the california additional tax credit. If one car company does sell there 200,000 cars then the clock starts ticking on the others. If this is wrong someone please correct it.

Also, the mandated cuts do not affect this program, if that is what you thought. The amount of money is quite small, and really could not be raided. The presidents budget called for raising the amount to $10,000, but I doubt that is going to happen. It is more likely that the amount is raised though, than that the program is closed down. The budget hawks aren't the guys that are trying to kill the tax credit.

As I said in the other reply, lets keep this away from politics.

4. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That means the tax-credit should not be included in discussions anymore.

No politics means sticking to the window-sticker price.

5. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I am not quite sure how you got that from what I wrote. There seemed to be a wistfullness on dbcassidy's part for the congress to come in and get rid of the tax credit. I just read from your explanation, that maybe you might not understand the law. I can definitely understand if you thought it ran out before 2015, that would make things different. But that is neither here or there, it is what it is.

Which means without going and saying blahs politics says we should eliminate the tax credit, why don't we stick with reality.

The credit is there for 200,000 cars at least for now. GM is unlikely to get there before their costs drop considerably. Until then why even bring it up. The price is the price to the customer, and we all are probably intelegent enough to know what you pay and what is on the sticker is not always the same. You can change witholding to pay the right taxes even before April 15.

drinnovation likes this.
  6. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Telling us to keep politics out of the discussion, yet including the tax-credit is quite a contradiction.

Either we are addressing production-cost or we are not.

7. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm sure I was quite clear. Did you really not understand?

I don't think a political wish for either an ending of the tax credit, or increasing it, are really pertinent here. What is likely is the law stays the law. Do you agree? Why don't we deal with that reality. I feel like you are reading someone else's posts when you respond to me.

I really have no idea what toyota or gm or ford production costs are. Neither of them are making much money on these cars though I doubt they are losing much either. Even if we knew production costs, that doesn't have much to do with cars like these. The makers seem to set some kind of competitive cost, although no one wanted to match the leaf, and nissan decided to raise the price to lose less money.

What we can talk about is consumer costs, and how changes will likely affect them. Since they are consumer, and consumers get the tax credit, then they should be included. Right? Are you with me so far.

As to the volt rumors and how it effects the car, the engine will cost them more, the battery will cost them less than today, but I will speculate that the higher powered more efficient car will be offered at a lower price, but not that much lower. How much lower really depends on how the energi is priced and how gm and toyota react to that.

Which is good news for us consumers right? More performance at a lower price and more options is always nice to have. See no politics here either. Although the tax credit is likely the reason the all these car companies have invested in these plug in cars. If you think they are all bad for the country, well as I said that is a different thread, and should be relegated to fhop. I think you do like the plug in tax credit and plug in cars, you bought one.:)

8. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    No. It comes from your first post in this thread having nothing to do with the topic and apparent attempt to derail the topic. Congratulations, you managed to infect another thread with poison of the past. You seem unable to let GM's PR from the past go. So some early goals weren't completely met. There was a common sentiment here that they wouldn't even build the car. Daniel stated that multiple times, yet was able to test drive the Volt and give it fair review. GM has done some things in the past that can be held as unforgivable. Their pre-production Volt marketing isn't one of them.

Apparently, you were treated wrongly on some Volt sites.
    But this is Priuschat, and it has expanded through the years to include all hybrids and plug ins. The Volt owners here have been quite forthcoming about their experience with the car despite this being a site of 'the enemy'. I think most would agree with me on that, and have been welcoming. But if you wish to butt heads with asshats on other sites, go ahead, just don't drag the assiness back here.

austingreen likes this.
  9. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    So, what is your suggestion?

What can be discussed?

10. San_Carlos_Jeff

San_Carlos_Jeff Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    I've been perusing PrisChat for years and used to enjoy your insights. Now (on this thread anyway) your postings have become like a petulant third grader.

It's kind of sad.

austingreen likes this.
  11. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I keep asking for clarity, but instead keep getting resistance & compliants... and still no suggestions. How is that constructive?

12. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Also, take notice how I no longer am making references to the past. So, at least acknowledge that effort to progress.

13. drinnovation

drinnovation EREV for EVER!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Okay.. I'll see if maybe direct questions can get us back on track and make it constructie.

John.. what do you think about the idea of increasing engine size as a means to improve efficency and/or power. What advantages do you see? What problems do you see?

austingreen and Zythryn like this.
  14. dbcassidy

dbcassidy Toyota Hybrid Nation, 8 Million Strong

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The minute GM agreed to the "bailout" from the government, like it or not, the level of politics went up into the stratosphere. GM "has to" abide and honor the government (read U.S. taxpayers) rules, regulations, and "politics". When GM is being vague, ALWAYS, ALWAYS dig deeper for the truth. The balance sheets and audits can give a accurate picture of the financial health of GM. THAT is REALITY. Congress, as mentioned (and repeated again for you). can take away the tax credits. I don't know where you think I am making this up. Don't put words in my mouth. You do seem to have a nasty habit of doing this.

You claim most of the plug-in owners don't like oil subsidies, but you crow about your tax-credits. The question for you is: what do you think tax=credits are? Wait, I will make this easy for you: it Is a subsidy!

The reality is GM needs to keep selling the other vehicle models to obtain a profit and hopefully theprofit margin will fatten up. The proceeds go to further funding of R & D for the Volt( a very good thing), meeting their pension fund obligations, and meeting their "bailout" loan obligations.

This is where the rubber meets the road, if GM fails (read bankruptcy) in any of the above 3, guess what happens then? You, me, and all the other U.S. taxpayers are now on the hook to pay back the billions the GM owed. Also tens of thousands of GM workers, suppliers, dealers are unemployed, increasing the already strained unemployment funds. Yep, these funds also come out of your, mine, and the rest of the U.S. taxpayers' pockets. The federal deficit needs to be addressed and will be addressed.

If you think this is still being made up by me, then remove your rose tinted glasses and have a hard look around.

OR, as said in the movie -"A few good Men" - " You want the truth, you can't handle the truth".

The op started this tread, what was he thinking? He asked for and is receiving what he is getting.

DBCassidy

15. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    DB, awesome topic, but completely off topic. Why don't you start that one over in the politics forum.

16. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    No I said it was completely off topic and political. You are just trying to distract with nothing to add. If you want a topic on this in fhop go and start one, but what in the world does this have to do with what we are discussing?

I did not want a political diatribe from you I started the thread. I wanted to talk about technology. Is that so hard to do?

17. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Unfortunately, that is a rather blatant avoidance of the questions I asked. But I can roll with it nonetheless.

Larger engine results in a weight & cost problem. Toyota dealt with that by reducing friction, weight, and size of the components within. After all, why would you need a heavy piston or shafts when less power is required anyway? They can reduce the material cost as well.

I see no need for additional power, since the system itself has the ability to split. Take advantage of blending more for squeezing out high MPG when the engine does run. Seeking out optimal RPM should be easier that way, disregarding the driver sound & feel. There's the issue of how quickly the clutches can respond too, since power-carrier spinning differs from what we are familiar with in Toyota & Fords approach.

The ideal is to break out to offer multiple engines, since only a compact isn't a strong business return anyway.

18. gwmort

gwmort Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What I'm wondering is if these cars will ever be open source enough to be end user configurable.

What I mean is I'd love for someone that wants more oomph to be able to stick in their own bigger electric motors or something. I read somewhere that if the system could handle it, draining 8 kwh in less than 2 minutes would produce the equivalent of 440 hp, sort of an electric nitro boost, after which it would need to run in HV for a while to charge the battery back up. Sort of the same home modifications people were making when hot rodding was real popular.

I would also like to see some vehicle to grid tech, or at least being able to use the huge battery as a home back-up power supply (I heard some Japanese were able to use their prii this way in the wake of the tsunami).

19. drinnovation

drinnovation EREV for EVER!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

I've answered the questions about what's should we do next -- its education time!
    If you mean another question you'll have be explicit which one.

Reducing size/weight is expensive and something that might be done in Gen2, but only if production volume gets there.
    The added weight is actually a small factor in efficency, 100 pounds is less than 1%.. and its unlikely they can drop a whole lot more, especially from the engine. I think managing costs is more important -- so using the same engine or engines, from other models would be more cost effective even if it adds a few pounds.

Multiple engine choices, if they are stock, would be good. Add an option for a 2.0L at a few hundred or thousand extra and those that THINK they need more power to buy into the EREV/PHEV concept. I think that, like the SUV mentality, people want power even if they don't really need it -- and if they want to pay for it and it gets them into a PHEV, its a good model. Why else would people be buying Camery hybrids.. its not for efficiency. Its power or style or both.

The clutches have little impact on the power-spit.. once its in power-split mode it can vary the full range of splits -- if the engine can provide the torque for that range. Clutches decide what parts are connected to the planetary gears, that's it.

I think they can gain more from a larger motor than they will loose in weight. If they can modify the cycle to have the BSFC sweet spot in low RPM and a wider sweet-spot then the more powerful ICE motor, they may also be able to change the top end gear, to improve the high-end gear ratio.. giving it a very tall virtual 6/7th gear.. But if they sweet spot is small, as it is now, the epicyclic gearing cannot vary enough to keep it there all the time without having to waste power by recharging the battery. There is a speed/load where it can be efficient, but you can loose 5-10% very quickly as the island is small.

San_Carlos_Jeff likes this.
  20. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    DIYers have been doing that for a few years now with the Prius. A well made power inverter is all you need to keep the fridge running. It can be a selling point that won't much if anything to the Volt's price. Most of the cost is in the hook up for the user. IIRC, Toyota already offers it in Japan as an option. So GM needs toget going on it if they plan to offer it.