1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Next voltec, what do you think of the new rumors

Discussion in 'Chevrolet Volt' started by austingreen, Jun 14, 2012.

1. dbcassidy

dbcassidy Toyota Hybrid Nation, 8 Million Strong

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    He was saying a U.S. subsidy , not Japanese.

DBCassidy

2. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Sure, and its far from certain that the volt has a second generation like the prius, or one like the insight. That is why its great that we have so many car companies this time instead of 2. Now the plug-in leaders are leaf, volt, tesla S, prius phv, fusion energi, bmw i3, mercedes E. I just hope at least 2 of the 7 do great next generation. The one most likely judging by the stock price is the tesla blue star (not really second gen, more like 3rd, but smaller and many don't count the roadster). I would say if that is the winner on the bev end there is plenty of room for one or
    Gen I MITI gave the money directly to toyota, and it was a Japan story. ;-) It would have been good if the US helped more with the gen II in 2003, but all of them got government money. I don't think that next gen plug-ins really need any more subsidy than the current one, max 200,000 max per manufacturer, $7500 max rebate, max 1M all together, perhaps with a phase out year for those dragging their feet. It will take a lot more refinement by everyone but tesla to be able to charge a plug-in premium after the credits run out.

3. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    When people evade goals, you know there's a problem. When they take a goal and change it to an expectation, you can expect failure. I was amazed to see that with Two-Mode. Seeing the same thing play out again with Volt was shocking. Recognizing the pattern emerge for a third time is leaving beside myself. Don't people pay attention? Are they really that naïve? Or is it that some just like to debate? And once speculation is disproved, bringing it up again doesn't accomplish anything. Ugh.

Whatever the case, we can see that second generation Volt targets set by the former CEO are now being spun to mean a promise. Certain shortcomings of the design are being flat out denied too. It's barely even worth documenting anymore, especially since there isn't any accountability. We all know sales are the ultimate measure of success anyway. There's a big difference between a trophy and a purchase... which a few still don't understand.

The need for sustainable profit will trump efforts to divert attention. No amount of blame or excuses will overcome that essential requirement miss. Consequences of short-term efforts (like cheap leases, large price cuts, and clever markets) will make themselves apparent too. There's simply no way to avoid the reality of not having delivered what was actually needed.

This thread turned out to be a good example of how heated & unproductive things get. Many arguments were pointless. Those same mistakes are being made again, but it doesn't matter. It always comes down to the same thing in the end... sales.

usbseawolf2000 likes this.
  4. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    For the plug in segment, Volt sales seem pretty damn good. More would be nice, and I'm sure GM will work more towards that end than against it. Tesla's success is enough for them to push for it. The ELR would likely have been left at concept level if not for Tesla.

More plain old hybrid sales would be nice. After being on the market for nearly 17 years, hybrids are still around only 3% of the annual sales. Changes in the consumer are probably more important at this point. People still don't put the priority on fuel economy as members here do.

5. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    How is that constructive?

Prius wasn't even available on dealer's lots until May 2002. And back then, gas was still around $1 per gallon and most people didn't even know there were hybrids. Sadly, among those who did, many assumed they had to be plugged in. It wasn't until late 2003 that misconceptions finally got proper attention. Then the GM anti-hybrid campaign was launched. From that, we knew it would take an entire life-cycle would be required to achieve widescale acceptance. And that was before consumers lost faith in the automotive industry.

In other words, we are only arriving at the doorstep of serious competition with traditional vehicles now... at the dawn of industry recovery and plug-in understanding.

That's why some of us saw the shortcomings of Volt right away. So much was being promised from an engineering perspective, it would have been a miracle to achieve all that. To also have strong market acceptance immediately upon initial rollout was absurd... which is why enthusists quickly changed their stance from "leap frog" to "early adopter". Then when sales struggled to attract buyers beyond enthusiasts, things got ugly.

Now, we ask what comes next. Sadly, the message is far from clear. It's the same chaos reappearing.

That's why having a strong hybrid to actually compete is so important. Plug-In vehicles will not be able to achieve traditional replacement alone.

6. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It is constructive in putting the Volt's sales numbers in perspective. Plug in cars are still a young market. Demanding that they run before they can walk is silly. Even from those predicting huge sales before the Volt's release. Like hybrids, plug ins won't reach wider acceptance until the second generation.

The Volt did not reach its, possibly hyped, engineering goals. The model is closer to redesign than introduction at this point. nothing constructive will come of continually pointing out how these goals weren't met. Do you want a "we were right, they were wrong"?

As to the next generation, to only thing out of GM on it is a price reduction. Part of that reduction may or may not include the price cut that had already taken place. Everything else is rumor and speculation from outside sources at this point. Which are fun to discuss, otherwise humans wouldn't have a word for gossip.

Where did the ugliness come from?

So GM doesn't have a non-plug hybrid. How does this pertain to future directions of the Voltec system?

I'm sure GM has the knowledge to build one, but what is there to gain for them to have one out now? The expansion of hybrid offerings did grow hybrid market share. Some of the new models' sales came at the expense of the older ones though. While people want improved fuel economy, many don't want to pay extra for it.

The Malibu dropped the mild hybrid system because direct injection, auto stop, and other improvements netted the same gains without the expense. ICE technology isn't sitting still, and much of the next generation Prius' gains will be in the engine. Keeping eAssist may have had further improvements, but the car has to compete with competitors on price point.

GM's highest selling model is still a pick up truck. While many that buy them don't need them for work, there are some people that still do. For them a hybrid version still needs to perform the job. All the current hybrid systems out there aren't up to the task without compromises in hauling and towing abilities. That includes two-mode. Toyota doesn't even have a hybrid system for the Tundra yet. The rumor now is that they will offering a diesel in it.

Then there are outside forces that may keep a hybrid coming from GM. Toyota has a near monopoly of NiMH batteries. That's one of the reasons the others have gone with lithium. Between the non plug ins and plug ins that have come out using lithium, there could be supply constraints that need to unravel. The cost is dropping, but a plug in, despite having more cells, can cover the battery cost under 'it's a new technology' perview. A plain old hybrid would end up with tighter margins in order to compete in an established market.

Ursamajor and austingreen like this.
  7. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    CNN money doesn't think so
    Hybrid car sales: Lots of options, few takers - Sep. 30, 2011
    [​IMG]

Now IMHO they have it all wrong, but the growth rate in market share through 2009, is not likely to come back. Here are hybrid cars figures for market share. 2012 had a rush of new hybrid introductions. 2014 is shaping up for loss of market share.

2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013
    2.37% 2.78% 2.37% 2.11% 3.01% 3.19%

That leaves 2014 down, 2015-2017 should see growth with new product introductions and more effects of cafe.

You saw that it would be the best selling plug-in in the US in 2012 and 2013? Excellent. Oh you mean you saw that like the prius the press and politicians would put out negative plug-in stories, and you meant to pile on. ;)

Again, I don't think this was the mass idea. What do you say to cnn money about hybrids after 12 years having trouble finding large market share? Do you say as I do, that its a slow transition, with many mistakes by hybrid makers? Or do you think they are right. That 0.4% gain in hybrid market share since 2009 is horrible considering all the new improved hybrids. I guess when the prius is the main hybrid selling and was redesigned in 2009, it looks like hybrids need help. The US government is giving it that with the new cafe standards, but its not organic growth.

Who is the 'we'? If it is just you say, I, it sounds less rediculous. If it is a group, name the group. As I have often told you, more range, more refinement, better value for plug-ins. The build cycle is slow though, 6 years between models of prius. That means end of 2016 for volt and leaf redesigns, end of 2017 for tesla blue star, if they are on the same schedule. The begining of 2014 is too soon to expect next generations. The prius from gen I to gen II was 1997-2003.

As to specifics on the volt other than what has been posted, you need to ask gm, and not US. we have told you the public information and you don't seem to be satisfied. This is a prius site. I don't think anyone here works with gm.

I don't agree here at all. Not everyone needs a strong hybrid. If just toyota, ford, hyundai, VW, and honda compete, that will make it difficult for the other makes to compete. Mazda, Nissan, GM, BMW, Mercedes, Tesla etc don't need to be in that game. I think Toyota and Ford are the only guys making money on hybrids, everyone else loses money. The plug-in market may be much bigger than the hybrid market.

Ursamajor likes this.
  8. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Sept 2011 ?

How does that apply to today's auto market, which has changed quite a bit since then. For that matter, the economy is very different from then too.

Having already provided links & references many times already, it's clear there is no interest in participating there. The big GM forum and daily blog for Volt have been around for years, playing a major role in feeding the hype. Continuing to be an unknown source for information about market response & perception contributes to posting problems here. What do you suggest?

9. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A

Hi John,

I am now whereing a wristband saying hype hotel. Its a taco bell sponsered venue for sxsw. I guess they are proud of their hype;) Most of it should be ignored, but hey I follow twitter feeds to find out where the good bands are.

I remember that you gave to links to that gm fanboi site, before the volt was even released. They were calling you a troll back then. I would say its best to avoid fanboi sites if you really want to avoid the hype. Most of us never bought into the inflated sales figures those sites and the obama administration projected for the volt. If you remember I agreed with you about the inflated numbers pre release, and that that 1 month that gm was saying it was quickly retracted. There is more hype IMHO on the toyota fuel cell vehicle than I ever saw on the volt, but hey, that's in the major media not just on fanboi sites. If you remember lots of psuedo news shows kept repeating no one wants plug-ins, but growth has been huge.

On the volt the official story is a very reasonable one. Simply a small price drop from here. There is rabid speculation about blended mode, new ice, new range. Until its official I agree its all hype, but.... That is what this thread about. I'm disapointed that there was not a voltec 1.5 like the rumors said, but not that disapointed because we all knew they were just rumors.

10. dbcassidy

dbcassidy Toyota Hybrid Nation, 8 Million Strong

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Then there are outside forces that may keep a hybrid coming from GM. Toyota has a near monopoly of NiMH batteries. That's one of the reasons the others have gone with lithium

Volt uses lithium, so the statement of NiMH batteries is moot.

DBCassidy

11. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I am not following how Toyota has control over NiMh. Toyota licensed the patent from US company. Nobody is stopping them from manufacturing it.

In fact, GM used American produced NiMh in their 2 mode hybrids.

12. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Just because we can see through the hype, that is no reason to turn a blind eye. It will continue to be a major source of misinformation unless someone speaks up. And yes, they resented having to face real-world data and debunking of unsupported claims on a regular basis.

Many, many people were sucked into their rhetoric. Mass disenchantment resulted. That hurt both consumers and the market itself. Why allow it to repeat?

usbseawolf2000 and dbcassidy like this.
  13. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Primearth EV, a joint Toyota and Panasonic company, supplies not only Toyota with NiMH, but also Honda and GM.
    Primearth EV Energy Co - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Sanyo was the major competitor to Panasonic in battery production, buy was bought out by the latter. This gave Panasonic 80% market share of NiMH batteries.

Toyota Tsusho is a part of the Toyota group and is the 6th largest trading company in the world. Nickel is one of the diverse commodities it deals in.
    Toyota Tsusho - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In order to reduce its own costs, Toyota has secured, through the Toyota Group and partnerships, favorable access to nickel and batteries. There is less than a dozen nickel mines in the world, and it is a metal with multiple uses. With limited supply, another company can't just decide to start making their own batteries without major cost. With a larger potential supply of raw materials, it is better to invest in lithium batteries.

With lithium battery supply still limited, and most Panasonic's and Primearth's NiMH batteries going to Toyota, GM building both the Volt and another hybrid car was not likely. Old GM said they were going to build the Volt, so there was some pride in making that so, but everything learned in producing it could apply to a hybrid down the road. Then GM had limited cash resources. While there was a government incentive on plug ins, there wasn't one for hybrids anymore.

We won't know why GM doesn't offer a hybrid car at this time. We can speculate on the internal and external reasons for it though. State of the global battery supply is one of the external ones. Aisin is part of the Toyota Group, and Ford complained about part shortages when they were using them for hybrid transaxles. It might be a reasonable assumption GM's part to not count on supplies from that sector.

14. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Ok, so it is the Nickel supply, not NiMh specifically.

15. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Toyota is investing in a Primearth EV factory to increase NiMH output for domestic hybrids, so there are supply constraints in battery production also.
    Toyota to boost domestic nickel-metal hydride battery output - SupplierBusiness

Panasonic, Sanyo, and LG Chem have all plead guilty and paid fines on price fixing charges recently. So the possibility of 'unnatural' constraints can't be eliminated.
    FBI — Panasonic and Its Subsidiary SANYO Agree to Plead Guilty in Separate Price Fixing Conspiracies Involving Automotive Parts and Battery Cells

16. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    What's stopping competitor like Ovonics from ramping up NiMh battery? Is it the lack of customer, Nickel supply, or something else.

17. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    dbcassidy likes this.
  18. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I know, but if happened now, it could have happened before. It is merely an example what outside forces could be affecting GM's decisions on products to offer.
    Now, lack of customer. The only company using NiMH for cars in any large quantity is Toyota, and they already own or partly own the factories making their batteries.

Even if Ovonics wanted to(remember they weren't keen of leasing rights out for large size automotive packs), ramping up production is easier said than done. Panasonic and Sanyo held 80% of the global market share for NiMH batteries. Panasonic's buy out Sanyo was finalized at the end of 2009. It had been announced a year before.

Lithium was already decided on for the Volt, Leaf, and Tesla cars at that time. The lithium itself was cheaper than nickel. Why continue with NiMH unless you already have a large investment in it? Even if you did, it would still take time to get production up. Until that time, you would have to buy from Panasonic, and likely at a higher price than it costs Toyota for its cells.

usbseawolf2000 likes this.
  19. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    How Much Better Does Gen-2 Volt Need to Be?

dbcassidy likes this.
  20. mikeyd810

mikeyd810 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    So back on topic, I'm predicting five seater and battery capacity options.